U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 04:34 AM

2,816 posts, read 1,495,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
A big reason school bullies targeted me was because of my physical appearance. I had platinum colored hair and was the only boy in the school who did. I stuck out. The nail that sticks out gets hammered. All manner of nasty insults started it off, which I just let roll off me, but naturally it escalated into physical force.

That's when they found out that was a mistake. Getting hit didn't scare me one bit and I hit back. With gratuitous force. That ended any contempt for my looks. Besides, the girls loved them. LOL, my platinum hair and blue eyes coupled with the fact I was way tougher than I may have looked to some earned me one or two crushes from "popular" girls.

Once it became common knowledge I was a ranch kid after a couple thrashings I delivered the bullies moved on and gave me a respectful amount of space. My son's experiences were similar but he started earlier than I did with the thrashings. It didn't get past the verbal abuse with him. The nasty insults set him off and he just put an immediate stop to things. But he always had witnesses , students and teachers, who backed him up.

LOL, one incident sticks out for me. He was on the bus, sitting with my ex's daughter. He was in first grade and a third grader in the seat in front of him was giving him hell and wouldn't let up. His step sister warned the kid he best back off, and so did the bus driver. Did he listen? No. Told him. Didn't listen. So my son bailed over the back of the seat and landed square in the middle of the kid and put a mud hole there. A kid two years his senior, and he put the spurs to him.

I had to go into the office of course and talk to the vice principal but the bus drivers report had it covered. He made it plain the kid had every inch of the beating coming plus he was a repeat offender. He got kicked off the bus. Yes bullies have a specific set of rules they follow in picking targets.

But sometimes the reaction they expect from their choice of targets doesn't work out how they expect. They use criteria like size, age, appearance and such but those features can be deceiving. Lessons learned are best learned the hard way. If it hurts, one doesn't forget the point of the lesson.
Wow! You sound like my ex-boyfriend who was very coordinated. He was skinny but he never lost a fight because he could put people in all kinds of locks, head-lock, arm-lock, leg-locks. But, yes, when it comes to bullying, it is a process they start with a trigger. The process needs to be dealt with.

But if you beat them up, they will move on to the next easy target. It's a process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 06:33 AM

14,043 posts, read 11,494,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Wow! You sound like my ex-boyfriend who was very coordinated. He was skinny but he never lost a fight because he could put people in all kinds of locks, head-lock, arm-lock, leg-locks. But, yes, when it comes to bullying, it is a process they start with a trigger. The process needs to be dealt with.

But if you beat them up, they will move on to the next easy target. It's a process.

With my son and I both it wasn't really coordination or any particular skill at fighting so much as neither of us cared about getting hit. The horses and cattle we dealt with every day had already hit us way harder than any human, bully or otherwise, ever could. And there's no begging off with livestock unless there's something broke bad. You gotta dive back in.

Especially with horses. If you let them get away with kicking, striking or biting and back off they learn all they have to do is not have manners and they don't have to go to work. That just won't do.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:18 AM

2,816 posts, read 1,495,284 times
Quote:
With my son and I both it wasn't really coordination or any particular skill at fighting so much as neither of us cared about getting hit. The horses and cattle we dealt with every day had already hit us way harder than any human, bully or otherwise, ever could. And there's no begging off with livestock unless there's something broke bad. You gotta dive back in.

Especially with horses. If you let them get away with kicking, striking or biting and back off they learn all they have to do is not have manners and they don't have to go to work. That just won't do.
I get you now. I guess I should say that my ex-boyfriend wasn't afraid to be in a fight. It was a one and done, go find somebody else to pick on.

That is pretty funny about the horses and their manners, but it sounds painful.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:36 PM

650 posts, read 600,797 times
Bullies are cowards. There's no honor in bullying someone who can't or won't defend themselves. When you bust them dead in their mouth with one powerful punch, they'll stop. If you and the bully cross paths again, the bully usually avoids you because he knows you'll put those hands on him again. Growing up in the ghetto, if a bully got beat up in school, the entire school laughed at him and gave respect to the victim who fought back. My father would have me kickboxing, lifting weights and wrestling so I continued that into jr. & high school so once I got 16 & 17 I was noticeably taller, bigger and stronger so kids at my high school knew not to try me. Most of the bullies tried me in middle school, but even then I knew how to defend myself. I'm not proud of getting into many fights as a middle school kid, but when you grow up in the hood, it's always a few kids that want to try you. My father would tell the principal face to face, "You can suspend my son if you want, but I TOLD him to fight back if a bully messes with him."

I was talking with my dad and asked him was he ever bullied in school, and he said yes, but he made sure the bullies regretted it. He told his father (my granddad) and his father would take him outside to fight the boy while he watched. Needless to say, my pops made short work of the other kid, and the other kid's father was like, "Bet you won't pick on no one else again."

Old 05-10-2019, 07:30 PM

26,242 posts, read 24,283,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Bullies are cowards. There's no honor in bullying someone who can't or won't defend themselves. When you bust them dead in their mouth with one powerful punch, they'll stop. If you and the bully cross paths again, the bully usually avoids you because he knows you'll put those hands on him again. Growing up in the ghetto, if a bully got beat up in school, the entire school laughed at him and gave respect to the victim who fought back. My father would have me kickboxing, lifting weights and wrestling so I continued that into jr. & high school so once I got 16 & 17 I was noticeably taller, bigger and stronger so kids at my high school knew not to try me. Most of the bullies tried me in middle school, but even then I knew how to defend myself. I'm not proud of getting into many fights as a middle school kid, but when you grow up in the hood, it's always a few kids that want to try you. My father would tell the principal face to face, "You can suspend my son if you want, but I TOLD him to fight back if a bully messes with him."

I was talking with my dad and asked him was he ever bullied in school, and he said yes, but he made sure the bullies regretted it. He told his father (my granddad) and his father would take him outside to fight the boy while he watched. Needless to say, my pops made short work of the other kid, and the other kid's father was like, "Bet you won't pick on no one else again."
enjoyed reading your story, but it doesn't always end that well for handicapped or autistic children....they don't know how to defend themselves.

My cousin's grandson is autistic and it got so bad for him he wanted to end it by killing himself. \

please don't misunderstand, I'm so glad things turned out this way for you...bulling comes from the home....if the parents bully their kids, their kids will bully

Old 05-11-2019, 07:59 AM

650 posts, read 600,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
enjoyed reading your story, but it doesn't always end that well for handicapped or autistic children....they don't know how to defend themselves.

My cousin's grandson is autistic and it got so bad for him he wanted to end it by killing himself. \

please don't misunderstand, I'm so glad things turned out this way for you...bulling comes from the home....if the parents bully their kids, their kids will bully
My heart goes out to special needs children who experience bullying at a disproportionate rate. Iím all for sticking up for the vulnerable among us.

Old 05-14-2019, 07:00 PM

282 posts, read 59,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

please don't misunderstand, I'm so glad things turned out this way for you...bullying comes from the home....if the parents bully their kids, their kids will bully

That is why people need to get involved and stand up for the weak. In HS, I saw bully threatening to punch a handicapped boy in a wheelchair. He was swinging his arms around in the air and stop inches from actually punching the handicapped boy.

Most students just stood there watching, waiting to see a fight. I stood up for that kid. Almost got suspended too because the bully reported me to the principal because I threaten to harm him. So yeah, the irony....The bully reported me in for bullying him. Luckily, my teachers stood up for me and spoke on my behalf.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:37 AM

9,060 posts, read 3,446,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
My heart goes out to special needs children who experience bullying at a disproportionate rate. Iím all for sticking up for the vulnerable among us.
Same here.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:24 PM

29 posts, read 8,794 times
There are several different types of bullying, all being bad, but the one I focus on is bullying because of jealousy which is more common in middle and high school than elementary school. Dumb kids bully smart kids because they are jealous. Most bully's parents are also retarded, they have the mindset of "kids bully each other, its ok" but as we know, bullying IS NOT OK.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:09 PM

9,651 posts, read 3,803,960 times
Quote:

Wait, what? You do realize, in the case of livestock, humans are ALWAYS the bullies? We use them as animal slaves, and keep them penned up in inhumane conditions for our future food. (not that I'm a vegetarian, or necessarily dislike people who own horses, but I do realize this truth).

I really don't think you can consider a horse who is defending himself against this incarceration "bullying" the human, or a bull who trampled a human to death as a "bully".

They are ALL, ALL of them, victims striking back against their abusers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or