U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 09:51 AM

3,322 posts, read 1,789,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
The only real reason we would move with her is becaause we don't like where we are living now and wanted to wait till she went off to college ins tead of move in high school...just not sure how many parents have done this

I think you should move to where you really want to live. Where child is going to college should have absolutely nothing to do with this decision, otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 11:32 AM

1,721 posts, read 707,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Maybe the negative responses stem from not knowing how large Jacksonville is. If you had said Gainesville, I would agree with the negative posters. Jacksonville is huge, not in population necessarily, but in area. It covers 875 square miles, compared to 55 square miles for Miami, and 113.7 square miles for Orlando.
Yes, when people say Jacksonville they could mean anything from the beach to 295/10 West. Passing through on 95 doesn't give you any indication of the size. My concern would be in 4 years but OP states that they wish to retire there so I say go do it so long as you aren't up the street from the college and don't hover and as long as your daughter is fine with it.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:31 PM
Caa Caa started this thread

935 posts, read 2,198,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
What does your child say?

She says whatever we want to do
She’s very laid back as are we, so she’s good with it, at least for now lol

Old 04-17-2019, 01:53 PM

6,593 posts, read 5,205,260 times
Yes, it's a good idea if you like the area and plan to stay there.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:28 PM

7,525 posts, read 8,776,950 times
Quote:
Hi all,

How many parents out there moved to the city where theyre child attenda college? Good idea/bad idea? Thinking about it, but would live far enough away to not be a pain in the ass and be with her all the time as we want her to be on her own as much as possible. We are also thinking of moving away from south florida anyway as we are not happy here and shes considerng jax for college....thoughts??
Cut the damn cord.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:32 PM

5,333 posts, read 6,540,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Cut the damn cord.
This. Unless you already had concrete plans to move there before she decided to go to college there, and she made that decision knowing that information, it's just a desperate attempt to stay close to your kid. Let her go and make her own life.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Cut the damn cord.

I live near my parents does that make them bad for living near me ?
I have no idea why you would say that, we give her more freedoms and let her do more things on her own than many other parents within reason if her age . It’s nothing to do with cutting the cord

Old 04-17-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
This. Unless you already had concrete plans to move there before she decided to go to college there, and she made that decision knowing that information, it's just a desperate attempt to stay close to your kid. Let her go and make her own life.

We all visited Jax and fell in love with the whole area. She’s the one who saw the sign for UNF and mentioned all of us moving there together, we didn’t even mention it

Old 04-17-2019, 06:30 PM

467 posts, read 507,850 times
I think it's a great idea. Jacksonville can be a wonderful place to live, especially if you are looking for a change from South Florida. Being close to where your daughter is going to college is just an added bonus.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:05 PM

364 posts, read 50,880 times
Quote:
Hi all,

How many parents out there moved to the city where theyre child attenda college? Good idea/bad idea? Thinking about it, but would live far enough away to not be a pain in the ass and be with her all the time as we want her to be on her own as much as possible. We are also thinking of moving away from south florida anyway as we are not happy here and shes considerng jax for college....thoughts??

Seems just a smidge smothering.

Your adult (18 years?) Does she have health issues which require you to live nearby?

Daughter may not want to live so close to you. Who chose her college? Could she have gone to a similar college closer to home? She may not want to say for fear a of hurting your feelings.. Has your daughter ever even hinted that she would like you living nearby?.

Not being a pain in the arse is a plane trip away

I think I can understand your apprehension. However, I suggest it may be time to start thinking of her needs/wishes as important as yours.

IF you are unhappy, by all means move. But please, do not use your daughter as an excuse .That's a cruel thing to do to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or