U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM

344 posts, read 279,446 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have an 11 year old daughter who's an animal lover. Aren't they all? She's very smart, talented, and beautiful. Aren't they all?

Anyway, her goal is to have a horse ranch someday, which I can't really help with. I live in Colorado, but I'm originally from NYC, and I wouldn't know a ranch from an iceberg. I won't have the resources to buy a ranch, and my daughter knows that.

I've tried to steer her towards Vet school, thinking that would be make sense, that she could be the vet in a small town or rural area, and that she could buy some land and start her ranch that way. However, she doesn't want to do all the yucky stuff, surgeries, etc.

Any ideas regarding how I can help at this point? My daughter's ok with her dream ranch being in Wyoming, North Dakota, etc. I'm interested in any colleges that offer programs that might steer her on her way. She's been volunteering at a local farm, but there must be more she can do. At this point, I'd say "get a degree in Animal Science or something and an MBA to teach you how to run a farm/ranch."

And yes, I realize that she may do a 180 and end up on a completely different path, but you have to have a plan, even if we know what happens to plans.

Thanks for your help.

JB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM

651 posts, read 255,550 times
Tell her that her guidance counselors at school can best help her with this and email them, CC'ing her school email, with exactly this message.

They have the resources and experience to help her along with this, or know people who can help. Ask them for help; it's what your taxes pay for... <3

Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM

15,777 posts, read 17,553,694 times
Maybe get her a subscription to Working Ranch Magazine?

Have her go to a Summer Farm camp like this one (maybe you can find one near your home)?

Arcadia Farm Camp | Arcadia

or this one:
https://www.connollyranch.org/camps/summer-camps/

or this one:
https://www.growinggardens.org/peace...n-summer-camps

Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM

14,875 posts, read 21,379,029 times
If your in Colorado there have to be a ton of horse ranches around. See if you can set up some time to talk with someone, have your daughter ask questions, find a working ranch you can both work on for a week.

I love you are helping her!

Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM

289 posts, read 37,256 times
Age 11? Really?

Wow! That seems very young to me. How can an 11 year old be possibly expected to know what she wants?

A great many young girls go through a phase where they love animals, especially horses.(well ,they do in Oz) What you want for her (apart from her happiness) is surely irrelevant. Let her be a child.

If you are soo concerned, perhaps you could have a chat with her teacher or school counsellor. See about subtly exposing her to all kinds of broad options, over the next 5-7 years. A good school should do that in any case.Imo she is far too young to have that kind of direct pressure put on her. There is a good chance that she will still have no idea at age 18, and that's also par for the course.

I don't know how it works in the US, in Oz there are 'subject streams' Eg maths and science or humanities; english, history, and languages.

Perhaps play to her strengths, and try to give her as much choice of career path as possible.

Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM

11,512 posts, read 6,404,030 times
She knows how to use the internet. Let her do her own research.

Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM

5,324 posts, read 3,494,745 times
I'd say most preteen girls want to be a veterinarian, an animal rescue worker, or a pediatrician. It's fine to support her interests, but over the next 10 years, chances are excellent that she will decide to do something else instead. You don't need to look for a college for a 5th grader. There's plenty of time to start that process when she's in high school. If I tried to seriously pursue every career path my kids thought would be interesting, I'd have burnt out well before they entered high school.

Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM

41,661 posts, read 40,419,848 times
All you have to do at this point is let her explore the interest.

There doesn’t have to be any talk about a career path, college majors, etc.

Find a summer camp or day camp that takes place on a ranch where she can get a firsthand look at the work that goes on there. Let her get a taste of that lifestyle to she if she actually likes it.

Keep in mind that any equestrian hobby, which is what it would be at this point, is quite expensive.

Don’t get to entrenched in thinking this has to be a career. Right now you just want to expose her to multiple things she may have interest in. She will determine her own career path when its time.

Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM

20,408 posts, read 11,202,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
All you have to do at this point is let her explore the interest.

There doesnít have to be any talk about a career path, college majors, etc.

Find a summer camp or day camp that takes place on a ranch where she can get a firsthand look at the work that goes on there. Let her get a taste of that lifestyle to she if she actually likes it.

Keep in mind that any equestrian hobby, which is what it would be at this point, is quite expensive.

Donít get to entrenched in thinking this has to be a career. Right now you just want to expose her to multiple things she may have interest in. She will determine her own career path when its time.
This.

I actually just got home from a parenting seminar and one of the things they talked about was enabling your child to pursue their spark. That's all you need to do right now, give her opportunities to explore this interest. If it really is going to be her life's work, that will start her in the right direction but at 11, you don't need to be planning a career or even a college path, just what she should be doing between now and when she's 12.

In a couple of years, a little bit longer term planning is good, and by then, you'll both have a better sense of whether this is a true and abiding passion or it is a very typical tween interest that may give way to newer interests that should also be nurtured in their own time.

Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM

6,510 posts, read 3,504,974 times
You're in Monument? Lovely region. Plenty of small horse farms right around there, though I think the bigger ranches are further out. 11 is pretty young so she might change her mind a 100 times between now and college, but then, mine didn't. She was pretty focused from kindergarten on. You should take a drive up to Colorado State and research their Ag department. That will give you some better ideas of the education and career opportunities beyond vet. Most large colleges have summer camps for youth. You might want to check this out:
https://equinescience.agsci.colostat...h-summer-camp/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or