U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 05:01 PM

76,574 posts, read 68,596,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Is there a counselor or someone you could talk to at the school you are currently attending? You could always take the general required courses in college for the first year.

Psychology may be a good major for you but I'd be sure and take a look at the jobs that you can get with an undergraduate psychology degree and see what is out there and what they pay. Psychology does involve some statistics so you won't get away from math entirely.

I'd start by looking for what type of jobs interest you and then see if you can back into the best major that would be needed for those jobs.
She'll be at college in the UK, not the US, so there won't be any general ed required courses to take. And the OP was hoping to go to grad school, using Psych as a background for an MA run marketing, which is pretty practical. But I don't know how she'd pay for an MA in marketing, and a BA in Psych. An MA in Psych she could pay for by getting a teaching assistantship for undergrad psych courses. But Marketing would be a different field.

OP, what subjects did you enjoy in school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 05:06 PM

15,811 posts, read 17,583,341 times
Eleanna, for math try Khan Academy.

https://www.khanacademy.org/math

Old 04-22-2019, 08:54 PM

4,326 posts, read 3,216,185 times
If you're looking to study in the US but you can only attend a UK school, why not look for a UK school that has strong internships or study abroad in the US?

Old Yesterday, 08:48 AM

3,754 posts, read 2,438,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And the OP was hoping to go to grad school, using Psych as a background for an MA run marketing, which is pretty practical. But I don't know how she'd pay for an MA in marketing, and a BA in Psych. An MA in Psych she could pay for by getting a teaching assistantship for undergrad psych courses. But Marketing would be a different field.

OP, what subjects did you enjoy in school?
I think a business degree would be a better background to go into marketing with than psych. Also if for some reason the MA doesn't work out right away, it is probably a better degree for any plan B. She may end up having to work and go to school for her MA at the same time unless she can get a scholarship for that too. Students with psychology degrees have had some of the highest unemployment rates out there for a few years running.

https://247wallst.com/special-report...-unemployment/

OP will have to support herself so she needs to be practical. She should take a look at the employment rates for people with her undergrad degree and then with a masters in marketing.

Ultimately it's her decision, but she really needs to do her research and set herself up to be in the best position to get a job and support herself.

Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM

15,983 posts, read 19,317,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Is there a counselor or someone you could talk to at the school you are currently attending? You could always take the general required courses in college for the first year.

Psychology may be a good major for you but I'd be sure and take a look at the jobs that you can get with an undergraduate psychology degree and see what is out there and what they pay. Psychology does involve some statistics so you won't get away from math entirely.

I'd start by looking for what type of jobs interest you and then see if you can back into the best major that would be needed for those jobs.
No...Stats would be a very hard course. I think communication is a good suggestion....especially since OP already has two languages. There is room for international opportunites with her dual language skills in business, or several other fields.

OP there are quite a few interesting links when I did a search related to "What profession fits a communication degree". Too many for me to list here. Do a web search...it may give you some ideas.

Truth is, you are in a position that you are the one that needs to be very proactive about what your future education needs are.....especially since you have identified that your mother cannot afford to pay for an expensive education.

Actually, many people find themselves in the same boat daily here in the U.S. many folks cannot afford college for their children....many young people have to do programs that offer college tuition...and also grants, student loans....a variety of ways to help pay for their own college.

Do not let this handicap you. Seek out ways that you can get what you want. Be creative. Research, ask others....do not sit and stew over what you don't have, or blame someone else because that is a total waste of time. Be productive....do something nearly everyday towards helping yourself.

One suggestion....research the possibility of your applying for a TA....Teaching Assistant at a college in the U.S. after you've done your bachelor degree. Look up how to apply for a Student Visa....research online. Someone earlier mentioned International opportunities, which is
wonderful suggestion. Again, be very proactive and seek your answers. Do for yourself that which you wish that your mother could do....You may find you are good at it and then help your younger sibs when it is time.

So many times there are creative ways to achieve your goals, but not many people are aware because folks do not share information unless asked. So, ask...seek your answers. Talk to folks that you know have gone to school in the U.S. even talk to your friends parents...They may be able to share some insights, or even contacts at Colleges that you may ask your questions.

The experience you'll gain doing you college there will be invaluable. Then if you are able to get a student visa to the U.S. you can follow your goals. There are many counselors on college campuses that could help steer you...But you have to proactively ask, and seek their counsel. You can do this....Put the focus and your energy into paving a way for yourself. And, please keep us posted on this forum...it will also help others perhaps trying to achieve similar goals. Good luck

Last edited by JanND; Yesterday at 09:58 AM..

Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM

5,836 posts, read 2,081,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie.sunshine View Post
Hi I'm sorry I was trying to figure out how to respond to you it took a while to work through but I think I've figured it out.
What I'd like to do is study Psychology and then turn it into marketing (maybe) like as a post-grad degree. But definitely psychology as a first degree. I'm graduating this year, actually I've already gotten offers from a few universities in England and have my official exams in 2 weeks time. I hope I do well because if I don't live up to my predicted grades, they won't take me because all my offers are conditional. I would really like to go to Stanford or maybe UC Berkeley. Do you think it would be possible for me to transfer once I'm in England? I don't really like it there lol I know I should be grateful it's just, it's not the life I want for myself.
Another thing I was thinking about was that I could just complete my first degree in England and then go to California for a post-grad degree. But they're so expensive. Also I'm worried that even if I somehow manage to get a scholarship or financial aid I won't be able to actually stay in the US after getting the post-grad degree due to immigration issues. And there is no way I'm staying there illegally I'm scared and also it's wrong.
The thing is because my school is private and costs a lot of money, so many of my friends have endless opportunities. One of my best friends is going to NYU, another to the University of Michigan and another to UCLA and they're so nonchalant about it too. It makes me feel really bad and honestly maybe even kinda resentful. I wish I could do that.
My mom is extremely annoying. I keep on telling her she needs to be her own person that she needs to just be independent and strong and sort this mess out on her own (with our help and love and support) without depending on other people and having a huge victim complex. She always acts like everything is "too" hard. If she wanted to, she would. I'm not sure that she's necessarily old fashioned because she went to college and has a degree and even a master's degree and stuff. She's just very I don't know... immature? She doesn't make me feel safe and isn't that what moms are supposed to do? I understand she's freaked out, that's true. It was all a huge shock to her. But it feels like she isn't really considering my brothers and me and how much all this has affected us too.
All of my dad's relatives have passed away and the ones who haven't we aren't close to. I could stay with my mom's parents over the summer and raise some money, that's true. And then September I guess I need to leave for England. But I also feel kinda sad because I want to travel and can't. I wish I could go to Disneyland in Anaheim. Last time I went was when I was 8, with my dad.

I get that you're a kid, so you won't have all the insight in the world...but what I'M seeing is that in a lot of ways, you're not much different than your mom. And you have a sense of entitlement about what you THINK you deserve.

YOU get to go to College. How many kids in Greece get to do that, do you think? I bet there's lots of kids who don't. But you're crying that you can't go to Disney Land. Heck, be happy that your mom hasn't approached you to stay home, get a job and help support the family. In lots of homes, that is what would be happening under your circumstances.

I'd suggest for your mother to find a grief support group to start attending. Where I live, often the local hospitals offer such a thing. She would be with people in similar situations, and maybe your mom would become emotionally stronger, and less fearful of the future.

Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM

17 posts, read 2,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
No...Stats would be a very hard course. I think communication is a good suggestion....especially since OP already has two languages. There is room for international opportunites with her dual language skills in business, or several other fields.

OP there are quite a few interesting links when I did a search related to "What profession fits a communication degree". Too many for me to list here. Do a web search...it may give you some ideas.

Truth is, you are in a position that you are the one that needs to be very proactive about what your future education needs are.....especially since you have identified that your mother cannot afford to pay for an expensive education.

Actually, many people find themselves in the same boat daily here in the U.S. many folks cannot afford college for their children....many young people have to do programs that offer college tuition...and also grants, student loans....a variety of ways to help pay for their own college.

Do not let this handicap you. Seek out ways that you can get what you want. Be creative. Research, ask others....do not sit and stew over what you don't have, or blame someone else because that is a total waste of time. Be productive....do something nearly everyday towards helping yourself.

One suggestion....research the possibility of your applying for a TA....Teaching Assistant at a college in the U.S. after you've done your bachelor degree. Look up how to apply for a Student Visa....research online. Someone earlier mentioned International opportunities, which is
wonderful suggestion. Again, be very proactive and seek your answers. Do for yourself that which you wish that your mother could do....You may find you are good at it and then help your younger sibs when it is time.

So many times there are creative ways to achieve your goals, but not many people are aware because folks do not share information unless asked. So, ask...seek your answers. Talk to folks that you know have gone to school in the U.S. even talk to your friends parents...They may be able to share some insights, or even contacts at Colleges that you may ask your questions.

The experience you'll gain doing you college there will be invaluable. Then if you are able to get a student visa to the U.S. you can follow your goals. There are many counselors on college campuses that could help steer you...But you have to proactively ask, and seek their counsel. You can do this....Put the focus and your energy into paving a way for yourself. And, please keep us posted on this forum...it will also help others perhaps trying to achieve similar goals. Good luck
hi do you think it’s possible to switch my major once I’m in university? A communications degree sounds interesting and something I wouldn’t mind doing it’s just I’ve already applied for psychology and they’ve accepted me based on that so I’m not sure if I can switch my major once I’m there. I really hope i can!

Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM

714 posts, read 428,145 times
Hi Ellie,

In terms of your major, my sister majored in Psychology because she didn't know what to do. Here in the US Psychology is often treated as a 'general' or 'default' degree. She currently works in a bank and started as a teller working her way up the corporate ladder, a job she could have gotten with many different (or arguably no) degree. I don't want to paint with too broad a brush but a bachelors in Psychology won't open many doors on it's own without post-grad and often doctorate level work.

If you really have a goal to come to the US, I would highly recommend investigating the careers (and more importantly skills - which are portable) in demand here. In California, due to high cost of living, hard technical skills often drive demand in the bigger cities. Having a solid foundation in what we call the 'STEM' degrees (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) are a bigger guarantee of finding work. These are the jobs that recruit overseas, even with a high concentration of local talent. Large, international consulting firms often hire workers with specific skill sets in management, finance and technology and frequently send employees overseas to work on large-scale projects in the US and Europe. Maybe look into these types of jobs?

Best of luck to you.

Old Yesterday, 11:15 AM

76,574 posts, read 68,596,667 times
Reminder: OP, you need to figure out how to get the math tutoring you need, for your college exams. The countdown to exam day has begun; you don't have much time left.

Just saying. Just a friendly reminder. Don't fall into panic or despair. That would sabotage your chances. Don't let your anger over your circumstances allow you to torpedo your college opportunity, by neglecting this math tutoring issue. The only person who can get you to a better place in life, is you.. Unlike your peers at school, who have parents who can set them up, pay for college, and provide other advantages, you need to be your own rescuer, your own resource. You can do it, because you're smart. Just don't let your frustrations and fears get you down. Buck up, and rise to the occasion. This is your future we're talking about.

Deal with any anxiety that comes up, by writing down a game plan, a list of tasks, and take steps to address them. Taking action helps you feel like you're in control, instead of feeling helpless, wringing your hands, which only compounds the problem.

You have our support.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; Yesterday at 11:27 AM..

Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM

5,340 posts, read 2,823,094 times
Quote:
My mom is insane she has issues.
Quote:
I always try helping my mom out as much as I can, but when I do she just starts screaming saying I'm doing everything wrong and tells me to leave (go figure). I'm telling you, she's a pill.
^ I am pretty sure most 17 year olds feel the same about their mother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post

I think it will take time to reach a sense of normalcy after losing your parent....but do not lose faith in your mom....afterall she has raised you to be the critical thinker that you are. Perhaps focus on your education, get the best grades that you can....you do have an opportunity to apply at any school you choose....there are counselors and advisers that may be able to help you figure out the "how to" regarding attending school in the States in the future. Concentrate on that...go seek answers from the right people.

Try your best to empathize with your mom. You lost your dad, but she lost her husband.....you aren't parentless.....your mom is still there, if wounded and grieving she is still providing for you. Give her some credit.....and try to have some sympathy rather than what seems imo to be anger. She obviously is going through a lot....try not to add to her angst by being resentful. Love her, talk to here about your fears....I cannot imagine that she would ever want to worry you....But sharing financial concerns...when your child expresses disappointment at not having the financial based opportunities that you've been describing that your friends have....because your family has less money now is not your mom's fault. But, the reality is when we have less income, we have to look at changing what we spend money on...reevaluate expenses, and priorities.

You truly are fortunate...and RFT stated above....take advantage of the opportunities that you still have...look for ways to increase those....perhaps as an exchange student?? Talk to folks on campus....keep asking and seeking answers. Do your best. As a young adult it is your responsibility going forward....especially since you do not like the job that your Mom is doing. You also have to accept as a young adult that we sometimes do not get what we want...that we have to readjust our wants at times...and do our best with what we have. And cut your mom some slack....give her time to grieve her husband.
All of your comments are good words of wisdom JanND
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or