U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 02:17 PM

41,802 posts, read 40,555,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post

That argument makes sense if you're taking a trip that completely revolves around kids. Taking a baby to Disney only once in their life is pointless.
Why exactly is that different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 02:22 PM

16,750 posts, read 16,923,482 times
Quote:

That argument makes sense if you're taking a trip that completely revolves around kids. Taking a baby to Disney only once in their life is pointless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I think what Vegabern probably means is that if your family can only afford one trip to Disney during your child's life it is better to watch until they are older. Now, if you can afford multiple trips to Disney it is OK to take them when they are a baby and also when they are older.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:29 PM

3,811 posts, read 2,309,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
In addition, who says that, since the baby or young kid may not remember it, that the experience isn't shaping their outlooks, attitudes, and experiences? Just because a baby may not be able to vocalize an experience that he/she had doesn't mean that experience had no impact on them or on their later lives.
More eloquently put than I could manage. Exactly what I was trying to say.

Quote:
The difference being if the vacation is specifically revolving around the kid (something I likely wouldn't do in the first place). If you want to go to Disney as an adult, knock yourself out. If you're doing it for your kid it would probably be best for them to get something out of it.

That doesn't mean I think you need to wait until they're 10+. My one and only trip to Disney World was when I was six. I don't have many specific memories but I do remember I was happy. Doesn't that count for something?

Old 04-23-2019, 02:31 PM

246 posts, read 102,636 times
When I was a child my family would go on longer work trips with my father and we took several large road trips at least once a year. Personally I don't see any problem as long as your willing to be realistic on what you as a family can handle and manage.

I also wouldn't go in thinking children younger than 10 would get something "greater" or be more "worldly" from trips. They're just going to want to have fun and most importantly be with you! So don't expect them to remember all the little details or be able to stand through too many "grown up" activities like touring museums or too much shopping. But I also think bringing children helps open up activities that most adults wouldn't think about. My parents would always try to include visits to every waterpark along the way during the summer or plan out special stops us kids could look forward too when we had to be on the road.

Don't let people sway you too much against traveling with children. People have been going from place to place with kids since the beginning of our existence. In fact it helps bond the family together and gives your children good practice at behaving around strangers and feeling confident outside the bubble of their own home!

Old 04-23-2019, 02:53 PM

184 posts, read 61,983 times
We took him to Disney when he was 3. He remembers a little, he brings up random things occasionally. But when hes grown he probably wont remember it. But I will. I will remember the absolute wonder and delight in his eyes at seeing the impossible come to life without the jaded eyes of older children. I wanted to take him young because he believes it's all real, dreams come true and he has no reason to doubt what he sees. We will go again when hes older and the experience will be so much different.

He is a good traveler, he does well on plane trips that he has been on and he does well on car rides. We drive from NY to FL over 2 days and he was fine. We went up to Niagara Falls too. He won't remember that either but I will remember the excitement in his eyes when he went on the boat and seeing it little tiny toddler running into Lake.Ontario.

Are our experiences as parents not a legitimate enough reason to travel? People who limit their lives because they dont think their children are old enough to appreciate it miss out on all the appreciation they will have for it with their children. Hes obviously not going to enjoy museums but he will enjoy running around with sheep in Scotland. Exploring caves or climbing around the highlands. We will swim in dolphins in Mexico on Thanksgiving and hes asking to go to the desert so we will probably do that to. All of this will shape him.

My mom died when I was 12, I have about 20 pictures of her total and all.i have are memories. And i remember being 4 or 5 climbing out of a tent to my mom trying fish for breakfast at the beach. Memories are powerful. And so are experiences. For both of us.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:

I don't have many specific memories but I do remember I was happy. Doesn't that count for something?
Only the people spending the money can decide if it's worth the time and expense of traveling across the ocean, as opposed to making you happy at home.

The kid could be in Peoria or Peru and literally won't know the difference. To me, that is worth consideration.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:12 PM

1,452 posts, read 472,471 times
Quote:
The kid could be in Peoria or Peru and literally won't know the difference. To me, that is worth consideration.
Actually, they will. Spanish is the predominant language in Peru- but not in Peoria. I took my son to Montreal when he was 6- I think it was really enlightening for him to be in a place where English wasn't the predominant language. Even a toddler will sense that. My granddaughter just turned 5 but for the last couple of years, when we were around people speaking another language, I've quietly pointed out to her that the reason she can't understand is that it's another language. It's my fond hope that she'll be motivated to learn one someday. My son (her father) seemed to be surprised that Mom, who was born in Ohio, could speak French when we were in Montreal.

My unscientific feeling is that travel expands their brains even when they're not old enough to remember a lot- different buildings, a new food or two, sometimes different languages, taking a toddler who lives in the Midwest to see the ocean...it's all good. I do agree that if you're doing a once-in-a-lifetime trip it's best to wait till they're old enough to remember, but otherwise- start early!

You do have to judge their capabilities. My general rule is that you don't put a kid in a situation where they're expected to behave in ways they just can't at their age. I took the oldest granddaughter to Chicago (1 hour by plane) for an overnight last October when she was 5 and we had a blast just exploring the hotel and watching planes take off and land from our room at the Hilton O'Hare. I'll do the same with her siblings when they're ready, but she was civilized enough to stay very close to me in the airports (she had my phone number just in case), behave on the plane and in restaurants, etc. Her 2-year old sister is a delight but she's not ready yet!

And next month we're spending TWO nights in Chicago and exploring the city.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:22 PM

8,834 posts, read 8,037,928 times
My dad was the original Clark Griswold and by the time I was 12, I had been to all 48 lower states, Europe, and to a lot of the Caribbean. I think I remember flying for the first time at five years old by myself (direct flight, my parents physically put me on the plane, 45 minutes and my Aunt & Uncle and cousins got me off the plane). It was 1970 and things were a lot different then.

I went to Europe with my senior class in 1983 and have traveled the world since.

Traveling so much has made me a well rounded, more worldly person than if I never left my hometown.

Your kids will remember. Maybe not everything but they will remember.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:29 PM

My kids have managed to visit more states and countries than I have, many of them before they were 8 years old, so it's not like I think children should be locked up in front of public television until they hit puberty.

But the OP should be realistic that the memories will be mostly hers, not her childrens'. And yes, that is worth something … to her.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:07 PM

1,452 posts, read 472,471 times
One thing that will help with the memories: when my granddaughter and I came back from Chicago I decided to make a book on Shutterfly with the pictures. Overpriced, of course, but she loved it and so did her little sister, who still doesn't quite get the concept of "Chicago" as a place, but did see us off at the airport and was there to greet us when we returned. (Five minutes after a joyous reunion, she and her big sister had an altercation over who got to wheel the bag through the airport.)

It's all about giving them new experiences to get their brains working. Their other grandparents take them camping- not something I'd want to do, but they all love it, so they get that experience, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting