U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 03:32 AM

232 posts, read 79,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
He probably won't remember anything. Yes, it might have influence on him. I wouldn't take a 5 years old child on an expensive trip far from home because for formative experience it's not necessary to do so. A week-long camping trip, a petting zoo, a local fair, a campfire ritual in the back yard every week work better, IMO. Ocean is warm in Florida.

I would take small kids on an overseas trip only if I have prearranged babysitter on each freaking day of the trip, and I have absolutely nobody to leave them at home with. If any reliable healthy grandma - or better, a couple - is available, I'd lure, trick, or buy her to stay with the kids.
I'm ok if he doesnt remember anything, I will. And that is valuable to me. He doesnt really remember Niagara Falls but I remember that 5 minutes after we checked into our hotel he jumped into his cot on the floor and banged his nose and spent the afternoon with a bloody nose. And it didnt ruin my trip in the slightest. We enjoy spending time with our children for their sake. Not just as a holdover until we can escape them. We take adults only vacations, we go to Vegas and California and we are going to Thailand by ourselves. From my research Scotland is an extremely family friendly vacation and clubbing means nothing to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 05:04 AM

3,964 posts, read 2,375,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I'm ok if he doesnt remember anything, I will. And that is valuable to me. He doesnt really remember Niagara Falls but I remember that 5 minutes after we checked into our hotel he jumped into his cot on the floor and banged his nose and spent the afternoon with a bloody nose. And it didnt ruin my trip in the slightest. We enjoy spending time with our children for their sake. Not just as a holdover until we can escape them. We take adults only vacations, we go to Vegas and California and we are going to Thailand by ourselves. From my research Scotland is an extremely family friendly vacation and clubbing means nothing to me.
I don't understand some people's mentality. It seems a trip is only worth it if the kid is benefiting. Parents be damned. There seem to be way too many people whose lives revolve entirely around their kids. That's not the way we roll. Sometimes we do something mom and dad want to do, sometimes we do something the kids want to do. Either way, we plan vacations together.

When our kids were only 5 and 6 we offered to take them anywhere for Spring Break. We even begrudgingly offered to take them to Disney. They wanted to go to NYC (thank God). Now at 8 & 9 they still make plans together for when they're roommates in NYC. For Thanksgiving we offered Bali or Costa Rica. We showed them what each place offered, discusssed the pros and cons and everyone agreed on Costa Rica. The sloth in our AirBNB yard is still talked about almost daily. When their class started a segment on insects my youngest told the class all about all the creepy crawlies we found in the yard when the sun went down. There are some crazy big insects in the jungle. They also are acutely aware of the differences in living standards in the US and more poorer countries. Or how my 9 year old was so confident in the San Salvador airport that she wanted to find the gate and walk by herself. Or how they could see the Fuego Volcano erupting while we were coming into Guatemala City. My youngest has become infatuated with voodoo, cemeteries, and horror and gore since our trip to New Orleans. Even a seemingly boring trip to the Tennessee State Capitol became the highlight of a trip to Nashville. Since the state assembly wasn't in session they were allowed to try out the speaker's gavel, check out the senator's desks, try out the podiums. They spent more time there than anywhere else in Nashville.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:54 AM

232 posts, read 79,927 times
Vegabern, I agree 100%. Sometimes it's about the kids and sometimes it's about us. Scotland will be about the whole family. I'm going to look ahead and look for cool festivals where there will music and food and cool events and other children before deciding on dates so that there are activities for the whole family. And we are going on a train ride because i LOVE trains so...the kids and husband can just deal with that for a hour though I doubt anyone will complain. We want to stay in a castle one night because how cool is that? It is possible to balance what we enjoy with what our children enjoy and everyone have fun

Old 04-25-2019, 06:16 AM

1,618 posts, read 542,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
For Thanksgiving we offered Bali or Costa Rica. We showed them what each place offered, discussed the pros and cons and everyone agreed on Costa Rica. The sloth in our AirBNB yard is still talked about almost daily. When their class started a segment on insects my youngest told the class all about all the creepy crawlies we found in the yard when the sun went down. There are some crazy big insects in the jungle. They also are acutely aware of the differences in living standards in the US and more poorer countries.<snip>
My kind of travelers! I'm on a bit of a race against time because I'm hoping to do that type of travel with the grandkids. I'm thinking one "dream" trip for each when they reach a certain age- not quite sure what that age will be but I'm 66 now and they're 5, 2 and "due in June", so I don't want to wait too long. I may want to include one stipulation: no theme parks!

Did your kids try eating termites in CR? I was on a cruise and the guides showed them to us on a few of the hikes and DID eat them. So did a few of my fellow travelers. I just took pictures. That would be something to tell your classmates!

Old 04-25-2019, 06:48 AM

4,439 posts, read 1,077,164 times
My kids are 13 and 15 and love to travel. We have taken them to Europe a few times and they remember a lot of it. But they don't remember much about the early Disney trip we took. They were about 4 and 6 then. But I don't see a problem taking them if they are good travelers. My kids are pretty good travelers. The only issue is the usual sibling bickering.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:05 AM

3,964 posts, read 2,375,551 times
Quote:
Vegabern, I agree 100%. Sometimes it's about the kids and sometimes it's about us. Scotland will be about the whole family. I'm going to look ahead and look for cool festivals where there will music and food and cool events and other children before deciding on dates so that there are activities for the whole family. And we are going on a train ride because i LOVE trains so...the kids and husband can just deal with that for a hour though I doubt anyone will complain. We want to stay in a castle one night because how cool is that? It is possible to balance what we enjoy with what our children enjoy and everyone have fun
It sounds like you're planning a great trip. I like to look for festivals/special events too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
My kind of travelers! I'm on a bit of a race against time because I'm hoping to do that type of travel with the grandkids. I'm thinking one "dream" trip for each when they reach a certain age- not quite sure what that age will be but I'm 66 now and they're 5, 2 and "due in June", so I don't want to wait too long. I may want to include one stipulation: no theme parks!

Did your kids try eating termites in CR? I was on a cruise and the guides showed them to us on a few of the hikes and DID eat them. So did a few of my fellow travelers. I just took pictures. That would be something to tell your classmates!
What a great experience you're offering your grandkids! We plan to let each kid choose anywhere in the world and one can take mom the other dad for their 16th birthday. We don't do theme parks either.

No one recommended termites but they would have eaten them. They did LOVE watching the leaf cutter ants in the yard. They would tear leaves off the tree (I caught them and told them to stop) and tear them into tiny pieces and tried to get the ants to latch on. They made them a nice little pile and after we had to move on they enjoyed racing back to check on their progress. The ants eventually cleaned up the whole thing.

My youngest will try any food though. She's eaten bugs before. She recently tried her first oyster on the half shell. We did tour a cacao farm and they learned about the entire process. The region has an interesting history about cacao disease and natives teaching farms about better practices. The tour guide was very kind to the kids, caught poison dart frogs for them, showed them how to suck on raw cacao. Of course we found the cacao tree in our Airbnb yard and they would knock the fruits from the tree and suck on the nuts.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:43 AM

959 posts, read 474,679 times
We have taken our kids to Europe 3 times. We travel with them every summer. We did wait until we felt that our youngest would behave on the plane for a long trip. We went to Europe when he was 4. Is he perfect? No. But he is good and we know how to deal with him. The flight attendants love him and always compliment us. Our older kids have always been easy, quiet. We are just lucky.

Do they remember everything, no. But they enjoy every trip and we enjoy the trips and spending the time with them. We go because we want to go and we know they will have fun. Family time is worth it. Then they get older and begin to remember things. Our kids are 8-14. There is only so much time before they grow up. Enjoy the time you have.

Now, you have to know your kids. If they are a handful and you know they just can’t behave or pull themselves together, don’t torture people. But if you know you can quickly handle most things, go for it. Kids are all different.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:16 PM

509 posts, read 351,010 times
I think travel with the kids is one of the greatest gifts you can do for your children, as a parent. I travelled extensively as a kid, so it was in my blood and kept it up with further, exotic and interesting trips as I grew older into my 20's and 30's.

I also think being European, I view travel differently from the average American who haven't gone further beyond her/his state. My husband loves to travel, just hadn't had as much opportunity as I did when growing up, but we do it all the time since having our kids.

One thing that was mentioned here is adjust your expectations is very good advice. It's what we did and continue to do. My youngest is 5 years old, and we're quite excited we can do bit more longer/interesting trips now that our kids are at the good/fun ages to go with us as a nearly 8 and 5.5 year old. When they were younger ;ie napping, diapers and nap phase, we kept the trips at a minimum of 3 hour non stop flights, rental house at the beach, trips to area local activities like zoo, parks, etc and we still all had a ball doing that. Now doing Disney, Boston, Chicago, some of carribean islands and U.S national parks in the next 2-3 years time then it's onto to London, Spain, Portugal, etc.

Old 04-26-2019, 08:27 PM

9,067 posts, read 3,458,989 times
Quote:
Some people say not to take your children on long flights because they may be disruptive. I do my best to train and teach my children to behave appropriately but they are still children. I believe that adults need to be mature and acknowledge that while not always convienant that children are part of society and have to be tolerated. Why is expecting tolerance too much to ask.
I have taken all my kids on long flights. I've gotten some dirty looks from other passengers, but I just rolled my eyes at them. I don't care. I say, take those vacations if you want to. You have just as much right to enjoy a vacation as anyone else.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:42 PM

9,218 posts, read 15,857,567 times
Children have every bit of right to travel as anyone else in this world.

I take my 8 month old all over the world, we are in Bali now... 14 hour flight from LAX. No problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting