Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2019, 01:36 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times

Advertisements

My 16 year old DS is attending a 3 week sleep away camp in another state. It is a somewhat selective arts camp with an emphasis on education. Campers wear uniforms.

This is my first time as the parent of a camper. What do I need to know? The camp recommends sending ahead a trunk (?) (box? Suitcase?) of essentials like towels, blankets, etc. Is there a certain shipping company that is best or do I just go with UPS/FedEx?

Advice on everything from which brand of laundry marker to non food ideas for care packages would be appreciated.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 05-28-2019 at 02:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 01:52 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
I have an 11 yo and an 8 yo, and they have both been to overnight camps ranging in duration from 1-3 weeks for several years. With the caveat that those were more traditional overnight camps, and they were staying in cabins, here is what I would suggest:

1. Using a hard sided trunk is a good idea, but make sure you know what, if any, restrictions there are with respect to dimensions, since sometimes, trunks must be stored under beds, for example. I've always had to pack a trunk plus a large duffel with their linens. I've never been able to get away with just one piece of luggage. I would say don't waste money on any special camp website buying an overpriced trunk. Go to a Home Depot and look for a large tool bin with wheels and a telescoping handle. Really, you can buy any trunk, but look for wheels at minimum. The handle is a bonus.

2. Label everything. You don't need to spend money on fancy labels, just use a sharpie.

3. When he gets back, unpack everything outside. Again, this may not be relevant to you considering what kind of camp he's going to, but my kids' stuff usually comes back a mess, with dirt and sand commonplace. I really want to throw everything into a pile a burn it, LOL.

4. If they are suggesting certain brands or styles of products, use those. They are making these suggestions because they know what works and what doesn't.

5. If they require a lice check, consider getting one done on your own 5-7 days in advance, to avoid any surprises and be able to treat in advance (may not be an issue given your son's age).

6. Send him with plenty of sunscreen and bug spray. If he doesn't use it, you'll just have extra when he comes back home. Don't want him cutting corners on that.

7. Avoid packing any valuables, including electronics. In fact, many camps have specific policies against electronics, so check that.

If I can think of more, I'll add it. Hope he has a great time!

Old 05-28-2019, 04:15 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
My daughter works at a summer camp with 4 week sessions. I was there once on moving out day. Their kids pack and ship giant suitcases. I don't remember seeing a trunk in the whole lot.

If in doubt, call the staff. Don't ask "Is it okay if she brings a trunk" because they'll say yes. Ask "What do most of the campers bring?"

Old 05-28-2019, 04:24 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
My sons used these trunks for camp.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite...Black/16415912

The camp should have this info for you. If you can find a Facebook page or the on website where there may be photos, you can take a look at what other campers have used. It should be something he can manage and pack himself.

The camp also should let you know which shipping method they prefer. How is he getting there?

I would just send whatever non-perishable snacks he likes, X 10. Boys get SO hungry. But after a week at camp maybe you can send another package of things he requests?

Old 05-28-2019, 04:54 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Breakfast milkshakes or similar wrapped snacks might be a good idea.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:05 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Great advice so far, thanks!

To answer some questions: he is flying there and back (camp is 1200 miles from us). He is staying in a cabin. No food allowed in cabins. He has to bring some tech gear due to what he is studying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting