U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 03:10 PM

1,477 posts, read 487,332 times

Advertisements

This is kind of funny because I'm old enough to remember that when my mother took me to be registered for first grade (1959, there was no kindergarten at the school) and told them I could read they said that was impossible; kids weren't ready to learn how to read before age 6 and I had probably just memorized favorite books. Mom, who had only a HS education, knew better. Now we worry about 4-year olds having adequate reading skills!

I hear you; my granddaughter just turned 5 and while she's bright, curious, knows her letters and is beginning to sound out words, she's not where I was at that age. Still, she LOVES being read to and sometimes she picks up books and pretends to read them aloud. Mom's #1 rule: if they get bored when you try to teach them something, stop. It shouldn't have to be work at this age. I do point out the printed word occasionally when we're out together- signs for something interesting, for example, noting the beginning letter since that's easiest to pick out.

Every kid is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 03:13 PM

11,876 posts, read 9,704,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
My child is in pre-school
and doing ok for his age , in the middle for most activities
but his reading needs most improvement
we sit and try to practice the words but it seems like a chore to him

any ideas how to make it more fun and engaging ? he recognizes all letters and some words but has problem reading words , the teachers have no expressed major concerns yet but i see this is going to be a problem in the future unless i do more now

thanks
4 is awfully young! Don't set up reading as a chore! Read TO him. At that age, pointing things out in the world, like road signs, was fun.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:20 PM

41,837 posts, read 40,624,222 times
Quote:

how do you guys go about practicing the letter sounds ? any ideas that may make them pay attention more ?
You realize that you could make him dislike reading if you keep treating it like this?

Read to him. Stop making him recite and repeat stuff. You're putting too much pressure on him.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:22 PM

3,835 posts, read 3,494,257 times
Quote:
we sit and try to practice the words but it seems like a chore to him

My elder son didn't read until he got into 1st grade. By 4th grade he was reading for fun, and when the class was all reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe he was already on The Silver Chair (6th in the series) and he got special permission to do his book report on that one.

He may be afraid you'll stop reading to him if he can read on his own, and he may not be able to articulate that fear. Don't sweat it.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:25 PM

3,970 posts, read 10,351,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The best thing you can do now for him is get him to WANT to read, and enjoy stories.

Stories, not books like A is for Apple.

Stories that have a plot, and he enjoys listening to.
^ this!

To provide an example from a different situation, when I was in grade school my parents decided I needed to take piano lessons. While the piano books had "songs" in them, it was clear that these were boring exercises masking themselves as songs, and I hated it. I never practiced. That money was completely wasted.

However, the summer after my older sister completed 1st Grade she decided that now that she was all educated we should play school as a summertime activity. During the summer before I began Kindergarten she taught me to read as part of our playtime.

Apparently, teaching only requires a 1st Grade education!

Old 04-29-2019, 04:13 PM

5,789 posts, read 2,655,445 times
I taught thru example.
My sons saw more books in our home then Legos on the floor. It was a "priveledge' when it came to spending an afternoon at the library or watching a pbs show about reading.
So we exposed them to reading at a young age. They saw us reading books or discussing it . They wanted to join in.
At two and a half my son was reading peanut books. Many a night he'd giggle at what snoopy did ..
His verbal /pronunciation came first...then he'd "comprehend" the story. In the beginning he was just trying to pronounce properly. Today...of all things he is an English teacher. We still have the home video of him reading one night to himself. Flashlight in bed and the giggles galore.
Encourage and set an example...that's how learning and inspiration set out to create a teachable student.at any age.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:20 PM

24,829 posts, read 29,743,536 times
Read TO him. He doesn't need to be reading yet.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:01 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,435,742 times
I agree with so many of these posts. I have a 3.5 year old. I have not spent time on reading or letters or doing anything other than reading any book to him from his shelf that he wants. Sometimes it's a big pile of books and sometimes it's just one or two. He is very, very busy all day long and so the fact he would voluntarily sit still to have multiple books read to him tells me reading and learning is not going to be a problem when the appropriate time comes. We would be in a constant battle if I was trying to 'make' him learn. In fact, he is sitting next to me right now looking at his favorite book about trucks. Love of books first; the reading will follow.

I've been a parent for a long time. Trust me, there is no need to panic. And if for some reason you have a child who doesn't *love* to read that's ok too. I have one who just never was into books. He would play while the rest of us devoured books in our free time. He did fine in school even though I was well aware of his dislike of reading. He would tell me about it all the time. He did what he had to and no more. I thought this would be a problem, but you know what? He is in engineering school on scholarship and for the last paper he wrote in English class his professor told him with one minor change it was a publishable paper. So, even a 'non-reader' can get it done.

Enjoy your little guy. It's not a competition to the top

Old 04-29-2019, 08:17 PM

4,040 posts, read 3,659,817 times
He's too young! Most 4 yr olds don't read. Many 5 yr olds don't read. Some 6 yr olds don't read. Some bright normal children don't learn to read until they're 8.

Read to him a lot. Do letter puzzles and number puzzles. Teach him the letters this way and their sounds. That's more than enough for a 4 yr old.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:21 PM

1,946 posts, read 777,265 times
You going to make your child dislike books if you put too much pressure on making him read at such a young age. Stop all the pressure. Your going to make him miserable and frustrated.

My son new all his letters and sounds of letters and a few sight words when entering kindergarten. He was at the same level as his classmates, even ahead of most. He so very much wanted to read. He picked it up quickly with no pressure and was a avid book reader in first grade and beyond his grade level in second grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or