Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 01:41 PM

1,311 posts, read 853,380 times

Advertisements

My child is in pre-school
and doing ok for his age , in the middle for most activities
but his reading needs most improvement
we sit and try to practice the words but it seems like a chore to him

any ideas how to make it more fun and engaging ? he recognizes all letters and some words but has problem reading words , the teachers have no expressed major concerns yet but i see this is going to be a problem in the future unless i do more now

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 01:47 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,215,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post

any ideas how to make it more fun and engaging ? he recognizes all letters and some words but has problem reading words , the teachers have no expressed major concerns yet but i see this is going to be a problem in the future unless i do more now

thanks
Why do you feel it is a concern?

Old 04-29-2019, 01:51 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,628 posts, read 17,961,729 times
The best thing you can do now for him is get him to WANT to read, and enjoy stories.

Stories, not books like A is for Apple.

Stories that have a plot, and he enjoys listening to.

Old 04-29-2019, 01:52 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,215,313 times
Quote:

thanks
Much of the advice from last year still applies.

3 yr old cannot recognize all letters

Old 04-29-2019, 01:55 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:

thanks
You should not be teaching a child this age to read. Preschool is supposed to be fun, not a chore. No, it won't be a problem in the future. He's 4, not even in kindergarten yet.

Read to him and with him, but don't pressure him to learn to read.

Read at least 20-30 minutes to your child every day. Reading to your child every day will help him have a longer attention span and better listening skills. ...
Read a variety of non-fiction.
Act out dramatic plays.
Use rich vocabulary. Speak to him often. Narrate what he is doing.
Point out letters.

You can, of course, also let him play on Starfall.com

That will give him some reading skills if he enjoys it. It uses games and teaches phonics. Don't worry or stress over this though. He has lots of time yet.

https://www.starfall.com/h/ltr-classic/

Old 04-29-2019, 02:02 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,020 times
There is no reason a 4 year old needs to read. Some can, most can’t, and can’t is absolutely no indication of intelligence. By 5th grade, you won’t know who read at 4 and who read at 7.

That said, I read to my kids all the time, and taught them letter sounds (they also went to Montessori), and they did figure out how to read relatively early. I couldn’t tell you exactly when now as it was that unimportant in the long run.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:13 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,628 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
There is no reason a 4 year old needs to read. Some can, most can’t, and can’t is absolutely no indication of intelligence. By 5th grade, you won’t know who read at 4 and who read at 7.

That said, I read to my kids all the time, and taught them letter sounds (they also went to Montessori), and they did figure out how to read relatively early. I couldn’t tell you exactly when now as it was that unimportant in the long run.
I agree. My kids could all read before Kinder, but it's not because I sat there and tried to force them to learn. It was because they loved being read to, and loved stories.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:38 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,518,651 times
A four year old should be listening to you read and maybe doing some fun grocery store workbook pages teaching letters, etc. While listening to you read, maybe an occasional game to see if they can point to a word you just read and read it back is more than enough.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:59 PM

1,311 posts, read 853,380 times
THANKS a lot for ideas
he loves stories esp involving role play
and animals
and his vocab is actually not bad
so I guess its not too late
I will
1-read to him more often and for longer periods
2- more extensive colorful words
3-point out words and read back at times
4-I will not just stick to kids books but read him all kinds of nonfiction too
5-I will try this starfall.com too

how do you guys go about practicing the letter sounds ? any ideas that may make them pay attention more ?

Ive read not so great things about ABC mouse , has anyone tried that ?

Old 04-29-2019, 03:01 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,069,743 times
Read to him, read books that are stories with characters he likes or can relate to, make it fun and use all the voices, sounds and impromptu theatrics you can muster.

Then see if he wants to do the same for you when ready.

Make it fun. Make it time spent together. Make it something he will ask for at the end of each day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting