U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM

10,312 posts, read 21,045,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Thatís why I was encouraging his independence more knowing that teachers arenít allowed to help students with certain things. He doesnít have any special needs. Itís possible that his family and relatives baby him because itís quicker or not have to listen to him complain about not being able to do it.

Iím also sure teachers donít have time to wipe noses and assist with putting on shoes. I was just looking at it from a teacherís standpoint. I used to work at a daycare and kids were excepted to do certain things themselves before ďgraduatingĒ to the next class of age groups
I give you a lot of credit for trying. As a baby sitter, it's not your responsibility. It's his parents.

Do you know if he has a full day or half for kindergarten? My grandson has a half. He was required to know certain things before going. His parents should have signed him up already and if not, maybe next month. They're going to see how behind he is when they get that list. It's possible he may not be ready for September. They will have to wake up.

I don't think shoes is a concern. He needs to know colors, ABC's; he will need to know how to wipe his own nose and bathroom wipes. My grandson already knows how to read for the last few months. He's also doing math. Simple addition and subtraction. Teacher also gives him a sheet with his name in dotted lines, he has to trace then write his own name in the lines. My district doesn't mess around with kindergarten; they learn what I learned in 2nd grade. Thankfully my grandson did a full day of daycare (head start) since he was 2. He's been the smartest kid in his class.

My grandson was taught how to put his shoes on in head start, I want to say he was age 3 or 4. They also taught him how to tie shoes, no kidding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:44 PM

6,435 posts, read 3,707,443 times
I suggest you find other ways to help him feel capable. Let him cut up a banana or avocado for lunch with a butter knife. Ask him to help taking clothes out of the dryer. Ask him to put the napkins (or ?) on the table for lunch. Let him help put the pieces to a game back in the box, etc. Anything to help him view himself as capable, and then tell him how smart he is, or so much help, or did such a good job, etc. Avoid the buzz words like "big boy" obviously! You could also ask him to put the dirty diaper in a plastic bag and take it out to the trash in a completely neutral way.

Old Today, 10:04 AM

10,312 posts, read 21,045,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I give you a lot of credit for trying. As a baby sitter, it's not your responsibility. It's his parents.

Do you know if he has a full day or half for kindergarten? My grandson has a half. He was required to know certain things before going. His parents should have signed him up already and if not, maybe next month. They're going to see how behind he is when they get that list. It's possible he may not be ready for September. They will have to wake up.

I don't think shoes is a concern. He needs to know colors, ABC's; he will need to know how to wipe his own nose and bathroom wipes. My grandson already knows how to read for the last few months. He's also doing math. Simple addition and subtraction. Teacher also gives him a sheet with his name in dotted lines, he has to trace then write his own name in the lines. My district doesn't mess around with kindergarten; they learn what I learned in 2nd grade. Thankfully my grandson did a full day of daycare (head start) since he was 2. He's been the smartest kid in his class.

My grandson was taught how to put his shoes on in head start, I want to say he was age 3 or 4. They also taught him how to tie shoes, no kidding.
I did a google search to see what was available online with what kids should know for kindergarten.

What Every Child Should Know Before Entering Kindergarten

Quote:
Top 15 Things Every Child Should Know Before Entering Kindergarten

1. Be able to state first and last name when asked.
Be able to write first name with first letter upper case and remaining letters lower case.
Use appropriate three-finger grasp when using writing instruments (pencils, crayons and scissors)
Count to at least thirty and tells what number comes before or after a given number to 20.
Know all the letters in their first name.
Identify basic geometric shapes (triangle, circle, square, rectangle, oval, star, rhombus (diamond) and heart)
Know basic colors (red, blue, green, yellow, orange, purple, black, white, brown, pink)
Identify numerals 1-10 in random order.
Make most letter/sound matches.
Identify most upper and lower case letters.
Use finger to accurately touch count items to ten.
Knows concepts of print (front and back of book, which page comes first, track words left to right).
Be able to rhyme words.
Retells simple stories in sequence.
When given a word (ďmanĒ) and a new beginning sound (/f/), creates the familiar word (ďfanĒ)
What does my child need to know before kindergarten?
Quote:
What academic skills should my child have before kindergarten? In order to show kindergarten readiness, your child should be able to:

recognize and name basic shapes: square, circle, triangle, and rectangle
recognize and name numbers 1-10, even when they are out of order
count to 20
count 10 objects, pointing to each one as she counts
say or sing the alphabet
recognize the letters of the alphabet, both uppercase and lowercase (even out of order)
identify colors in an 8-ct crayon pack
recognize her first name
write her first name
sort items by size, color, or shape
hold a book and turn pages
tell if two words rhyme
identify some letter sounds
say her parentsí full names and phone numbers (at least one)
Michigan kindergarten readiness checklist google search

Old Today, 11:24 AM

15,831 posts, read 17,610,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Social and emotional skills are even more important than academic skills for kindergarten readiness.

https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/kinder...al_development

Quote:
Research shows the link between social and emotional skills and school success is so strong, it is a greater predictor of childrensí academic performance in the first grade than their familial background and their cognitive abilities. Why is this link so strong? Simply put, we know that learning is a social process. Children cannot learn when they are struggling to follow directions, get along with their peers and control their emotions in a classroom setting. When children struggle with these skills, they are more likely to have social troubles at school, resorting to inappropriate expressions of frustrations such as hitting, biting and screaming.
Quote:
The key social and emotional skills identified for school success, as outlined in Dr. Smithís article, are:

Getting along with others (parents, teachers and peers)
Following directions
Identifying and regulating oneís emotions and behavior
Thinking of appropriate solutions to conflict
Persisting on task
Engaging in social conversation and cooperative play
Correctly interpreting otherís behavior and emotions
Feeling good about oneself and others.
Self-Help skills are also important

https://blog.maketaketeach.com/getti...f-help-skills/

All of these can be practiced at home.

Quote:
1. Cleaning Your Own Personal Space.
2. Opening and Closing the Backpack.
3. Straws, milk containers and juice boxes.
4. Laces, buttons, zippers and snaps!
5. Coats and Jackets.
6. Coughing and Nose Blowing.
7. Bathroom Routines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting