U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2019, 07:22 PM
 
540 posts, read 152,319 times
Reputation: 1447

Advertisements

Ballet is plenty geared toward men. It requires a lot of strength and control. And, to be very good, a body type not everyone has or can have. Have you seen male ballet dancers? Incredibly muscular, very strong with the ability to *control* that strength, able to easily lift women above their heads, can jump very high which requires a lot of power-- IOW, strength. Whenever I see someone say male ballet dancers are sissies I'm not sure whether to fall over laughing or stare at them in disbelief (most of the people who say it are usually even remotely as strong as these men are, either...). (and, let's face it, for the more base minds among us: male ballet dancers are highly in demand among women dancers because there are fewer of them, get to spend their days with a bunch of fit, strong, and beautiful women who are wearing very little... who's laughing now?)

Any kind of dance, from ballet to Highland to Irish to modern to Russian and many, many others, requires a lot of strength, control, proprioception, balance, rhythm, dedication, command over the body, and often cooperation with others, and sometimes the ability to improvise on the spot while understanding both the dance and the music. That sounds like something "geared toward" anyone.


OP, you are wondering if your son would enjoy it. Ask him, not strangers on the internet who don't know him. And see everything I said above so he has it ready for anyone who wants to make fun of him for being a dancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2019, 08:31 PM
Status: "I have strong opinions and won't apologize for them." (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: Texas
8,820 posts, read 3,338,226 times
Reputation: 18390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Doesnt have to be ballet lol.

There are other types of dance more geared to boys ... I always thought tap was neat. Plenty of male tappers!
Tap might be better. I'm a little worried that he will be bullied if he takes up ballet. Even though I would not stop him from wanting to do it, if that's what his interest was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2019, 08:36 PM
 
10,857 posts, read 8,260,483 times
Reputation: 27160
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
He likes dancing to music.
Have him watch :19 to :55. There are some pre-teen looking boys doing hip hop:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0gJXZtW7iE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2019, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Crook County, Illinois
3,364 posts, read 1,502,022 times
Reputation: 4196
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Tap might be better. I'm a little worried that he will be bullied if he takes up ballet. Even though I would not stop him from wanting to do it, if that's what his interest was.
Here's a thought: regardless of what you enroll your son into---tap, ballet, or kizomba---go to a studio outside your town or neighborhood, or at least outside your school district. This way, he won't run into a kid from his school, or worse, his class. Remember: when it comes to how kids think, running into someone at a ballet class is "asymmetrical": it's acceptable for the cooler kid to be there, but not for the uncooler kid, even though they saw each other there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2019, 09:52 PM
Status: "I have strong opinions and won't apologize for them." (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: Texas
8,820 posts, read 3,338,226 times
Reputation: 18390
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Here's a thought: regardless of what you enroll your son into---tap, ballet, or kizomba---go to a studio outside your town or neighborhood, or at least outside your school district. This way, he won't run into a kid from his school, or worse, his class. Remember: when it comes to how kids think, running into someone at a ballet class is "asymmetrical": it's acceptable for the cooler kid to be there, but not for the uncooler kid, even though they saw each other there.
That's an interesting perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2019, 11:40 PM
 
Location: Denver 'burbs
21,642 posts, read 22,879,493 times
Reputation: 37055
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Ballet is plenty geared toward men. It requires a lot of strength and control. And, to be very good, a body type not everyone has or can have. Have you seen male ballet dancers? Incredibly muscular, very strong with the ability to *control* that strength, able to easily lift women above their heads, can jump very high which requires a lot of power-- IOW, strength. Whenever I see someone say male ballet dancers are sissies I'm not sure whether to fall over laughing or stare at them in disbelief (most of the people who say it are usually even remotely as strong as these men are, either...). (and, let's face it, for the more base minds among us: male ballet dancers are highly in demand among women dancers because there are fewer of them, get to spend their days with a bunch of fit, strong, and beautiful women who are wearing very little... who's laughing now?)

Any kind of dance, from ballet to Highland to Irish to modern to Russian and many, many others, requires a lot of strength, control, proprioception, balance, rhythm, dedication, command over the body, and often cooperation with others, and sometimes the ability to improvise on the spot while understanding both the dance and the music. That sounds like something "geared toward" anyone.


OP, you are wondering if your son would enjoy it. Ask him, not strangers on the internet who don't know him. And see everything I said above so he has it ready for anyone who wants to make fun of him for being a dancer.
Yes. When my son was playing football in probably 7th or 8th grade, a new boy joined the team. Kid was awesome and had a physique the other boys wished they had. Boy came from a family of dancers and had been dancing all his life - including ballet. He was an excellent athlete all they way around. Football to wrestling. Started with dance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM
 
5,977 posts, read 3,412,011 times
Reputation: 20854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
My son took hip hop dance for a while. He liked it and there were other boys.
In the day mine was crazy to take break dancing lessons. I thought it was cool and he had a ball. But of course there were plenty of rough-tumble boy kids doing it at that time.

I think you're smart to give this careful consideration, PV. If he has a natural inclination for the dance it will be evident and you can encourage and shelter him along. Although things have changed there will be a few things to watch for in this line of study that could be a challenge for him.

Any chance you can sit in on a couple of types of classes so he can see and give you his opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM
 
Location: East Cobb, GA—>Dallas, TX
1,044 posts, read 459,165 times
Reputation: 1618
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Anyone else have a male child enrolled in dance class? I am wondering if my son would enjoy it.
Have you asked him if he would?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM
 
5,129 posts, read 4,973,934 times
Reputation: 9547
I wanted to play music, not dance to it. Started taking drum lessons in 4th grade, so I do have the sense of rhythm required for dancing.

In 6th grade, we were forced to square dance. Absolutely hated it. The only thing I didn't like about my otherwise great 6th grade teacher.

Forced to deal with square dancing again in 8th grade. Hated it there, too.

Ask your son if he's interested in dancing. If he is, fine, put him in class. If he's not, don't force the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM
 
2,607 posts, read 1,879,670 times
Reputation: 4539
Bobby Burgess had a long successful career.

Like any class of this sort (music, dance, art, etc) make sure HE expresses an interest in it. This type of stuff is not a "you" thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top