U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 07:14 AM

5,524 posts, read 3,557,138 times

Advertisements

My own son didn't, but there were always boys at my daughter's dance recitals. One or two did take ballet/tap (it was a combo class for the 5-7 year olds when my daughter was that age) but most of them took hiphop, acro, or, for the older ones, breakdancing. Usually they can try out a class to see if they like it before you have to pay. And you can also call the dance school and let them know that if there's a class with another boy in his age group, you'd like to enroll him in that class. They might have a few times to choose from and if your schedule is flexible, that could work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 10:55 AM

4,864 posts, read 3,104,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Anyone else have a male child enrolled in dance class? I am wondering if my son would enjoy it.
I took tap dancing when I was 7-8. Never did anything such ever again...I believe I liked it. Back then it wasn't so pricey though.

Old 05-02-2019, 11:23 AM

464 posts, read 197,232 times
He could start out with private lessons. He can work with the instructor to try different styles. When he finds a style he likes, the instructor can help place him in a group class that has other boys. Dance is awesome. If he shows a real talent in a specific dance style, you just never know how far he can take it or how that will enrich him later on.

In a private class he will not have others around and If he feels like telling his peers he can just tell them he is trying general dance to work on coordination (which is true)

Old 05-02-2019, 11:34 AM

2,622 posts, read 1,488,031 times
My son takes dancing and acting classes and loves it. He especially likes hip hop if thatís an option near you and loves the choreography that goes into musical theater. I would give it a try and see how it goes! He does get teased about it by some classmates at school but he also does football and soccer so he just ignores them. Heís a kid who is really good at that so if that would devastate your son itís worth knowing so you can address it on the front end.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:20 PM

727 posts, read 373,653 times
I think it's great when boys take dance, but only if it's not forced on them. I see so many mothers who put their boys in dance because they never had a girl. I had the reverse happen to me with my father, who forced me to play baseball because he desperately wanted a son. It made me feel very unwanted and I hated every second of it.

My daughter has taken dance since she was 3 and it's not uncommon for a boy or two to be in the class. Some dads are resistant because of homophobia but that is their problem. Both gay and straight boys can enjoy dance.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:54 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,419,197 times
Mikail Barishnokoff (sp) and Patrick Dempsey for two. Need say no more.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:44 PM

10,169 posts, read 6,948,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I think if my son were the only boy in his class, he would not be happy about that.

I will see if there are other boys in the class, otherwise, probably won't enroll him.
Forget about genders...there is no gender in dance. And if he is the only boy, he gets his own special parts.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:48 PM

10,169 posts, read 6,948,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Finally someone implied the obvious element that has been lurking in the wings.
Gayness.
Rest assured, your kid is 'set', so to speak, by now.
If you are afraid it will hasten his progression, it won't, because that's a crapshoot.
The larger challenge is if he is NOT gay and you or he fears it will label him un-necessarily, because most male ballet dancers are NOT straight.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wester..._ballet_dancer

Old 05-02-2019, 02:48 PM

8,959 posts, read 3,385,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
and it's not all that competitive for boys.
It's not competitive for boys and easy for boys to get scholarships at dance studios, in some cases, even if they're awful. Girls have to compete a lot harder to get scholarships and lead roles. Unfair but that's the way it is. Musical theater can be the same way - easier for boys to get roles, harder and more competitive for girls.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:50 PM

8,959 posts, read 3,385,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
, because most male ballet dancers are NOT straight.
I don't know but the most famous male ballet dancers I can think of are womanizers, same with the guy that does the Irish step dancing shows. Far from being gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or