Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Pre school teacher: kindergarten education, teacher's aide, early childhood, school policy.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 02:23 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times

Advertisements

This happened to my son, but it wasn't an aide. It was the regular teacher. Every day there was a different sub. After a couple of weeks I went to the principal to ask what was up. She said, "the kids are fine." I said, "Where is the teacher?" And the principal said, "The kids are fine. Don't worry." I asked again and she finally said the teacher was on vacation.

More days go by and more subs. So I called another mom I knew and asked her if she knew where my son's teacher was. That mom said the teacher was on paid administrative leave pending an investigation that she locked a kid in a closet because he talked too much.

It would have been nice to hear that from the school principal. I was smart to call. Other parents in the classroom didn't know what was going on until the media got a hold of it.

So, by all means ask the principal what's going on and ask around the mom network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 02:39 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,809,148 times
In my experience parents are usually notified of changes in the classroom. When my daughter's class got a student teacher, a note was sent home to parents. While it may not be required or expected, it would have been nice if you were informed. I think communication is important.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:15 PM

303 posts, read 980,736 times
Communication is vital both ways.

Be involved.

Talk to the teacher.

Meet with the principal and assistant as well.

Schools actually appreciate this.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:27 PM

170 posts, read 581,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
If this were the actual teacher, then I'd expect communication about it, however with someone who is an aide, I would not.
Aides are there in a supporting role to the teacher and not expected to take on major roles/responsibility in the class. Paid aides are not usually required to be degreed and are not paid on the same level as teachers. Many times, in Kindergarten, a school district will have volunteer aides if the budget doesn't allow a paid position. Often this ends up being a parent or grandparent of a student. No matter who the aide is, they should be going through a background check before becoming a staff member, paid or not paid.

Personally if I were concerned about consistency of who is walking the children out, I would have asked directly as soon as I noticed. If I was concerned about who was in the classroom during the day, then I'd be volunteering in the class so I can see what's going on myself.

My district doesn't have Kindergarten aides at all.
I totally agree. You have to figure out what you want to fuss about..........like, I would be more concerned that someone is walking my child out than NO one. KWIM?

Old 04-13-2008, 05:43 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,794 times
Hi all~

Thank you so much for the responses and opinions so far. Of course there are great suggestions and ideas from all ends of the spectrum.

I know that possibly I should have said something to the teacher without hesitation, however a previous incident with the teacher and her response has provided me with reason to be hesitant to address her with any further concerns about anything.
It is unfortunate that my experience as the parent of a kindergartner has been less than pleasant.
I would be more apt to be patient if I knew that this teacher was new,fresh out of college,etc... she has said that she has been teaching for 10+ years though so I don't have much patience for her lack of repore with the parents.
In my experience (as little as it has been thus far), this particular teacher does NOT appreciate any feedback from the parents.

I may address my concern but it appears that possibly I am a naieve parent who is expecting a little to much of the teachers? I have a BS ,not in education,but I have several friends who are both teachers and admins in several different school districts and possibly because they are parents, they have said they would have absolutely communicated this change with the parent,possibly they are saying this because they are my friends. However, I am more apt to believe that it is because it is who they are as a person. We have been friends for 20 years and in a place that we pretty much tell it how it is.
I still truly don't believe that it is to much to ask a teacher to write a simple note explaining what is going on in their classroom.

Again though,I do appreciate the responses as it has made me at least understand what to expect in the future and to try not to make to much of things, or else,yes, it will be a very long road.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:45 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softtail_Honey View Post
I totally agree. You have to figure out what you want to fuss about..........like, I would be more concerned that someone is walking my child out than NO one. KWIM?
Sorry-what does KWIM mean?
Thanks again for the responses but again, whether they do background checks or pay the aides less has absolutely no bearing on my concern.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:25 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
KWIM - know what I mean

You can call the principal and say you just have a quick question and you didn't want to bug the teacher, but what happened to that kindergarten aid? Or maybe, "Is there a new kindergarten aide?" That you were just wondering. You have the right to ask any question of the teacher, the principal. (And this is an easy one to skip over the teacher.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting