U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 04:18 PM

46 posts, read 9,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
Mostly clothes wise. Iím 44 and she is 72. She is just so good at ironing and sewing that If I have a dress to wear or a nice shirt and pants that need ironing and buttons sewn on, Iíll give it to her. She can make everything look great. Even just folding things. Iíve always been bad at it and I donít have kids. Sometimes I try to do these things and I always mess them up. I tried for an hour to get wrinkles out of a dress for a wedding and sew and couldnít do it. Why is it so hard for me and easy for her.

Make sure she gets some flowers and a nice present THIS SUNDAY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 05:29 PM

3,723 posts, read 1,574,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well, you usually dewrinkle clothes with an iron. Or maybe you needed to use a steamer? At any rate you learn to do clothing care by doing clothing care. So, get your mom to show you how she does what she does. And then practice.

Basic sewing is a good life skill. If you do not know how to sew, you can get your mom to show you how to sew a button on, at the very least.
I rarely iron anything- the steamer is your friend and is much much easier. That is what they use in stores, not irons. As for sewing, my mom taught me how to do basics like repairing a ripped seam, putting on a button, or fixing a loose hem. I can hem pants myself but that really isnít a single operation since someone usually has to do the pinning for you, at least.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:49 PM

54 posts, read 37,796 times
I lost my Mother 16 months ago. Like you she did a lot for me - hemmed pants, sewed buttons, managed a great deal of the home repair in the home we shared, took care of the garden etc. I always said the only thing domestic about me is that I live in a house - I never had an interest in most of that stuff. She tried to teach me but I never paid much attention and just let her do it. Though I do know how to iron, do laundry and I can cook - a bit.

Now that she is gone, I have an aunt who is helping me with some of that but she is older too and will not be around forever. I find myself paying a bit more attention to things so I can learn. And I am regretting that I never paid more attention when Mom tried to show me how to do stuff. Now I am looking into taking a class to teach me how to sew a button onto a shirt. How lame is that? And knowing I will soon have to start paying people to do stuff Mom used to do for me.

So my advice to you is start paying attention - have your Mom teach you how to do stuff. I thought I had several more years to learn from her. Instead she went into the hospital and was gone unexpectedly 4 days later. So time is of the essence.

Now I regret not taking advantage of all her skills and knowledge. Don't do the same.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:37 PM

8,846 posts, read 2,851,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well, you usually dewrinkle clothes with an iron. Or maybe you needed to use a steamer? At any rate you learn to do clothing care by doing clothing care. So, get your mom to show you how she does what she does. And then practice.

Basic sewing is a good life skill. If you do not know how to sew, you can get your mom to show you how to sew a button on, at the very least.
I'm a guy and when in the Army, I learned how to wash, starch and iron my summer uniforms and put flawless military creases in the shirts. I had taught myself to use my mother's sewing machine so well, that I eventually gave her lessons in how to use its advanced features. I made running shorts, cockpit covers for my kayaks and sails for my boats, that I could not have bought, that had the right designs and quality. I also repair a lot of equipment using fishing line for sewing thread. I regard sewing and ironing equipment just as one more part of all my power tools, that I use for cutting and drilling wood, metal and fiberglass.

Old 05-09-2019, 04:25 AM

5,884 posts, read 2,699,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadschum View Post
I lost my Mother 16 months ago. Like you she did a lot for me - hemmed pants, sewed buttons, managed a great deal of the home repair in the home we shared, took care of the garden etc. I always said the only thing domestic about me is that I live in a house - I never had an interest in most of that stuff. She tried to teach me but I never paid much attention and just let her do it. Though I do know how to iron, do laundry and I can cook - a bit.

Now that she is gone, I have an aunt who is helping me with some of that but she is older too and will not be around forever. I find myself paying a bit more attention to things so I can learn. And I am regretting that I never paid more attention when Mom tried to show me how to do stuff. Now I am looking into taking a class to teach me how to sew a button onto a shirt. How lame is that? And knowing I will soon have to start paying people to do stuff Mom used to do for me.

So my advice to you is start paying attention - have your Mom teach you how to do stuff. I thought I had several more years to learn from her. Instead she went into the hospital and was gone unexpectedly 4 days later. So time is of the essence.

Now I regret not taking advantage of all her skills and knowledge. Don't do the same.
I hear ya! You sure we aren't related? After my mom passed ( she was an awesome cook and baker), it was my aunt that taught me how to make the famous Family pie crust. I wept the first time I made it.....because I could still see my mom rolling out the dough to make the pies. My Mom couldn't iron or sew...That was my forte. So I guess we balanced one another out in some tasks.

and to the OP, Its a joy for some folks to still feel needed in their tasks.... My sons are grown now and every so often I ask them if they have any mending to be done, that I'd do it. Yet in todays world, its easier to buy then to mend....Luckily they now ask me to make them pies ...and I eagerly enjoy doing that!

Old 05-09-2019, 04:32 AM

773 posts, read 279,129 times
Seven year old grandson told his parents this week that I must give them both some sewing lessons. All his mending has to come to me.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:30 AM

5,623 posts, read 4,060,877 times
When I got married, I didn't even know how long to boil potatoes or carrots. I had no idea how to turn on a washing machine (hubby showed me lol) I didn't know the basics of many household chores. My mother did them all right up until the day I got married. I learned it all and am now a darned good cook.

A friend of mine went to her mother's for supper for years because she didn't know how to cook. Now that her mother is older, the roles are reversed. She learned because she had to.

We adapt to situations like this. What you have to do, you do. If you don't know how, you'll learn.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:00 AM

827 posts, read 311,729 times
I sew, cook, and can fix stuff around the house. I learned my watching my mom and doing whatever she would let me try. My daughter has shown little interest in any of that. Or I should say, she showed little interest until she moved out, and suddenly mom wasn't around to make those favourite dishes or put a button back on!

If something isn't a natural interest, but of value to a person, they'll learn the basics when they need to. My daughter still can't make my somewhat complicated seafood chowder or use the sewing machine, but there's always family dinners and the local tailor.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:08 PM

679 posts, read 456,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
Mostly clothes wise. I’m 44 and she is 72. She is just so good at ironing and sewing that If I have a dress to wear or a nice shirt and pants that need ironing and buttons sewn on, I’ll give it to her. She can make everything look great. Even just folding things. I’ve always been bad at it and I don’t have kids. Sometimes I try to do these things and I always mess them up. I tried for an hour to get wrinkles out of a dress for a wedding and sew and couldn’t do it. Why is it so hard for me and easy for her.
Probably because she has spent 10,000 hours doing it. If you keep having her do it, you will never gain the experience to do it. ...thus never improve.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:18 PM

77,239 posts, read 69,163,628 times
Aren't you married, OP? How on earth do you handle your husband's ironing and button-sewing needs, not to mention, basic laundry-folding? How do you plan to manage, when your mother's gone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or