U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 12:24 PM

77,235 posts, read 69,163,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadschum View Post
. Now I am looking into taking a class to teach me how to sew a button onto a shirt. .
I'm not picking on you, as the OP, and others, I think, mentioned farming out their button-sewing to others, but you had a convenient quote. I taught myself button-sewing. It's not hard to figure out. Just remember to stitch a knot at the end, so it doesn't come unsewn. I taught myself the basics of ironing, but I don't know the finer points. Some of this, you can take to your local laundry or dry cleaner, and they'll do it. They'll even wash and press your shirts for you, if need be. For a price, of course.

Taking a class (but not just for sewing buttons, lol) is a good idea, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 03:18 PM

631 posts, read 840,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
It's no different than taking it to a seamstress. If your mother is willing and able, I don't see the problem. It's not like today's parents who do everything for their kids.

Except that a seamstress gets paid.....

Old 05-14-2019, 04:59 PM

1,066 posts, read 304,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadschum View Post
I lost my Mother 16 months ago. Like you she did a lot for me - hemmed pants, sewed buttons, managed a great deal of the home repair in the home we shared, took care of the garden etc. I always said the only thing domestic about me is that I live in a house - I never had an interest in most of that stuff. She tried to teach me but I never paid much attention and just let her do it. Though I do know how to iron, do laundry and I can cook - a bit.

Now that she is gone, I have an aunt who is helping me with some of that but she is older too and will not be around forever. I find myself paying a bit more attention to things so I can learn. And I am regretting that I never paid more attention when Mom tried to show me how to do stuff. Now I am looking into taking a class to teach me how to sew a button onto a shirt. How lame is that? And knowing I will soon have to start paying people to do stuff Mom used to do for me.

So my advice to you is start paying attention - have your Mom teach you how to do stuff. I thought I had several more years to learn from her. Instead she went into the hospital and was gone unexpectedly 4 days later. So time is of the essence.

Now I regret not taking advantage of all her skills and knowledge. Don't do the same.
I am sure U-tube has a video on anything you might want to do.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:02 PM

13,098 posts, read 20,572,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Aren't you married, OP? How on earth do you handle your husband's ironing and button-sewing needs, not to mention, basic laundry-folding? How do you plan to manage, when your mother's gone?
Geez! My husband has always handled his own ironing needs, and taught our sons how to do it. The boys learned to sew their own dang buttons on.

One son managed a popular teen clothing store while in school, and could outfold anybody, including me.

OP, yeah, it's strange. None of what your mother is doing for you is particularly difficult.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:09 PM

1,066 posts, read 304,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Aren't you married, OP? How on earth do you handle your husband's ironing and button-sewing needs, not to mention, basic laundry-folding? How do you plan to manage, when your mother's gone?
Interesting question. My husband always did his own starching and ironing and button sewing. Being male doesn't mean being unable to do those things. He does most of the cooking, but I have a lot more time in with mowing, cleaning gutters, and window washing. Either of us are capable of taking care of ourselves. One of the things I found most endearing about him from the start was he didn't want to be waited on or need taking care of.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:26 PM

5,285 posts, read 3,333,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post

Because she has probably 60+ years of practice and experience. She wasn't sprung from the womb with a natural talent for it. :P
The mother is 72 so you're assuming she started ironing and sewing at age 12 - in order to have 60 years of practice and experience.

But the OP is 44! By your logic, the OP would have 32 years of practice and experience! - since you assume one starts ironing and sewing a button at age 12.

Any chimpanzee can sew a button on - it is extremely simple. It's on the level of licking a postage stamp.

I have not ironed in 50 decades, and probably only a couple of times before that. Steaming, I did do many many decades ago, but so infrequently. People do get along without ironing!

Is this 1954?

Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM

2,592 posts, read 1,977,851 times
id love to learn how to hem since Im on the short side. lol I think basic sewing is something that should be taught to all

Old Today, 06:42 AM

5,309 posts, read 5,214,730 times
Sounds perfectly fine to me. She very likely enjoys doing it for you and allowing you to let her care for you.

I am 45. My mother is a homemaker at heart and takes great pride in that. Letting her care for me is a good thing that fills her with warmth. A mother is always a mother, let her be one and allow her the joy of taking care of her "baby".

Best of luck.

Old Today, 07:29 AM

43,319 posts, read 52,080,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
Mostly clothes wise. I’m 44 and she is 72. She is just so good at ironing and sewing that If I have a dress to wear or a nice shirt and pants that need ironing and buttons sewn on, I’ll give it to her. She can make everything look great. Even just folding things. I’ve always been bad at it and I don’t have kids. Sometimes I try to do these things and I always mess them up. I tried for an hour to get wrinkles out of a dress for a wedding and sew and couldn’t do it. Why is it so hard for me and easy for her.
The ironing is a little weird (bc it's not hard).
But I get the sewing. It's quite a bit more of a refined skill (and I mean hemming, tailoring, etc; not buttons).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or