Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 05:12 PM

538 posts, read 385,510 times

Advertisements

Mostly clothes wise. I’m 44 and she is 72. She is just so good at ironing and sewing that If I have a dress to wear or a nice shirt and pants that need ironing and buttons sewn on, I’ll give it to her. She can make everything look great. Even just folding things. I’ve always been bad at it and I don’t have kids. Sometimes I try to do these things and I always mess them up. I tried for an hour to get wrinkles out of a dress for a wedding and sew and couldn’t do it. Why is it so hard for me and easy for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 05:22 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
I’m not good at it either but thats why there is the cleaners/tailors.

If your mom is fine with helping you, I don’t see the issue, but your mom wont be around forever so I think it’s something that’s helpful to learn ... I would ask her to show you

Old 05-07-2019, 06:02 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Well, you usually dewrinkle clothes with an iron. Or maybe you needed to use a steamer? At any rate you learn to do clothing care by doing clothing care. So, get your mom to show you how she does what she does. And then practice.

Basic sewing is a good life skill. If you do not know how to sew, you can get your mom to show you how to sew a button on, at the very least.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:14 PM

801 posts, read 614,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
Mostly clothes wise. I’m 44 and she is 72. She is just so good at ironing and sewing that If I have a dress to wear or a nice shirt and pants that need ironing and buttons sewn on, I’ll give it to her. She can make everything look great. Even just folding things. I’ve always been bad at it and I don’t have kids. Sometimes I try to do these things and I always mess them up. I tried for an hour to get wrinkles out of a dress for a wedding and sew and couldn’t do it. Why is it so hard for me and easy for her.
Because she has probably 60+ years of practice and experience. She wasn't sprung from the womb with a natural talent for it. :P

Old 05-08-2019, 05:54 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
It's no different than taking it to a seamstress. If your mother is willing and able, I don't see the problem. It's not like today's parents who do everything for their kids.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:28 AM

801 posts, read 614,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
It's no different than taking it to a seamstress. If your mother is willing and able, I don't see the problem. It's not like today's parents who do everything for their kids.
I would say that it's no more a problem than it was decades ago; it just depends on your own experience. It was around then and it's around now. My mother and her friends went off to college not knowing how to cook, clean, or solve their own problems. And while her mother had just always gotten her mother-in-law to fix things up for them all, she found that her friends' mothers all just did everything at home when she visited them. Sure, they had to dust lampshades or poorly run a vacuum through a few rooms, but it wasn't productive work; it was busying work. She wanted them out of her hair. The moms waited on everyone, hand and foot, otherwise, and completely unresentful about any of it. They begged their kids to live at home, even after marriage, and did the same with the grandchildren. They don't know how to do anything and as their parents/grandparents have died, have to hire out now for everything or marry into a family that still "knows how to do stuff."

Among the children I know, quite a few have chores... real chores, and if they don't learn to cook or clean from home, the school teaches it. Really. Even the chemistry teacher will come down and work with the FACS (Family and Consumer Sciences lol - modern home ec) teacher, to work on the removal of all manner of stains from all kinds of fabrics, tile, etc. They bake, cook omelettes, sew buttons, iron, etc. That's for half of the school year... the other half of the year is for "tech": safety precautions, how to use all kinds of saws and why you need different ones for different jobs, wiring small electronics, re-wiring lamps and installing light fixtures, building or repairing furniture for the school, fixing fences, etc.

If we don't teach children how to do things and have them practice, we can hardly blame them for not knowing how to do it competently.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:25 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
And what do you do for her in return? Take her out to dinner? Vacuum her house? Tune up her car?

Old 05-08-2019, 01:39 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
And what do you do for her in return? Take her out to dinner? Vacuum her house? Tune up her car?
...Take her to Chippendales?

Old 05-08-2019, 02:47 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
I would guess that the reason you "can't" do these things is because she always did it for you and didn't begin teaching you when you were younger. At this point, your Mom may still enjoy doing these things for you and be glad you ask her. Many older people miss being needed. As already mentioned, you can have things done by professional laundries or cleaners if ever necessary.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:02 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,357 times
This made me smile a bit. I don't live anywhere near my mother, but she is an expert at ironing. She still irons all their clothes, even their jeans. Everything is crisp and pressed. She has given me a lovely iron as a gift, but my husband is the only one who uses it. I just take things out of the dryer right away and hang them up. I feel just as put together as she looks.

When she visits, I supply her with my iron and an ironing board. It stays set up throughout their visit because of the constant use. It has been this way my entire life. There is no question that if she was here and I needed something ironed that I would ask her to help me out. She would roll her eyes and tell me I failed at life (joking of course) and iron it for me, just like in childhood. Granted, she did not teach me how to do it because that would have taken longer than just doing it herself. On the rare occasion I do get out the iron, my husband usually asks if he can take over
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting