U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 01:24 PM

9,161 posts, read 13,209,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
As soon as my kids turned 16, they each got their own checking account with a debit card. My husband is on both accounts (because he's the one who took them), so he can see what they're spending money on and that sort of thing. I'm not sure if kids under 16 can get accounts, but I've found that to be the least stressful way of giving them autonomy with spending while still being able to keep an eye on things.
My 15 year old has a debit card. My husband has access to the account and can also see what he buys and transfer $$ into or out of it etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 08:47 AM

16,445 posts, read 13,902,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Most class trips I went on meals were included, except sometimes a lunch if we had 'free-time' and there was a food court or something. Any other meals that we spent together as a group, the school paid for.
That hasn't been the norm in the NE or mid-atlantic for about 5-10 years. Many if not most states have passed legislation stating what schools can and cannot pay for. Paying for meals is typically disallowed if taxpayer funding is used. Often schools will solicit monies from PTSA to cover those sorts of expenses or work it into trip expenses (though even that is becoming less common as accounting rules have changed). The obvious exception is if there are large numbers of students on free/reduced lunch which is a federal program but usually instead of buying a meal out, they just bring a bagged or boxed lunch.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:40 PM

2,869 posts, read 3,184,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I would NEVER give my teen access to my CREDIT LINE as a authorized User. If my Credit Card offered a separate card where I set the limit, I might do it.

When my son was that age I would just deposit money into his "Checking" account, He would use his debit card, But he had a set amount of money.

Sometimes teenagers don't think, There is a disconnect in the brain when you use a credit card, from money. Think about it would you hand $10,000 in Cash to a 14 Year Old? And tell them only spend $50 from it? That is what you are doing when you make them a authorized User on your Card.

*shrug* we've never had any issues. Each family should do what works for them, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or