Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 05:53 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
She needs some cash. Also, you could get her a credit card with her name on it, on your account, and put a spending limit on it. The credit card companies are very good about this. Many credit card companies will give your kid a free card on your account.

Don't do a prepaid card of any sort. They have all sorts of fees, deductions, ATM fees, just awful. Total waste of money.

Your immediate issue is how to safely give her spending money for the trip. But another issue, if she's begging for a credit card, I assume so that she can buy stuff online, is to encourage her to earn money (babysitting is the best money for a 14 yr old girl), and open a bank account for her. That way, she can start learning about earning, saving, and buying what you want with the earned money.
Any parent that gives a child a credit card tied to that parent’s bank or own credit account can certainly check online or via phone/remote to see how it is being used...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 06:23 PM

7,336 posts, read 4,127,994 times
Give her cash.

Also give her a credit card for emergencies. Your credit card companies can issue her a card as an additional user.

Most importantly, if you have a good credit history, she will be linked to it as an additional user. It is a great way to jumpstart a child's credit worthiness.

When she returns home, only alone her to use it with conditions.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:25 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,563 times
I would just make her an authorized user on your credit card, plus give her some cash in case she's somewhere that doesn't accept cards. Prepaid Visas/Mastercards have too many fees.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:40 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

Most 14 year olds I know can run circles around things that "seem easy to an adult".
This isn't the same thing at all.

We aren't talking about downloading music. Standing at a checkout while your friends are yelling that the bus is leaving as you try to remember what your PIN number is and whether you swipe or insert is a different "skillset."

Old 05-09-2019, 07:22 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I would just make her an authorized user on your credit card, plus give her some cash in case she's somewhere that doesn't accept cards. Prepaid Visas/Mastercards have too many fees.
I would NEVER give my teen access to my CREDIT LINE as a authorized User. If my Credit Card offered a separate card where I set the limit, I might do it.

When my son was that age I would just deposit money into his "Checking" account, He would use his debit card, But he had a set amount of money.

Sometimes teenagers don't think, There is a disconnect in the brain when you use a credit card, from money. Think about it would you hand $10,000 in Cash to a 14 Year Old? And tell them only spend $50 from it? That is what you are doing when you make them a authorized User on your Card.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:46 AM

701 posts, read 1,708,770 times
Get her a youth bank account--it only takes about an hour at a local branch. Then she can have a card for purchases and ATM; send her with some cash as well.

At some banks (like Capital One), you can set limits for daily spending, and set-up alerts based on transaction amounts or balance. It's a good training tool for real-life. My kids manage their own accounts. When they run errands for me, I can easily transfer money to cover those expenses. We use USBank, but started with the Capital One Money account for the oldest.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:12 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,725,104 times
As soon as my kids turned 16, they each got their own checking account with a debit card. My husband is on both accounts (because he's the one who took them), so he can see what they're spending money on and that sort of thing. I'm not sure if kids under 16 can get accounts, but I've found that to be the least stressful way of giving them autonomy with spending while still being able to keep an eye on things.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:57 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
On School trips like these, The meals are "Included" in the trip cost.

Breakfast is normally a buffet at the hotel, that is included.
Lunch is "On your own" with the group at a limited number of places, (Student might have to pay for this).
Dinner is normally at a "SitDown" restaurant or Buffet at the hotel. Included in the Trip Cost.

The SitDown the students have to select meal from a limited menu, or are given a amount they can spend off the standard menu. The entire bill for the group (meal, tax, tip) is paid for by school from the Trip Money.
Ah, I see the difference, in every school district I have worked for the cost of the trip only includes transportation and hotel cost. Meals are never included.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:58 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I would NEVER give my teen access to my CREDIT LINE as a authorized User. If my Credit Card offered a separate card where I set the limit, I might do it.

When my son was that age I would just deposit money into his "Checking" account, He would use his debit card, But he had a set amount of money.

Sometimes teenagers don't think, There is a disconnect in the brain when you use a credit card, from money. Think about it would you hand $10,000 in Cash to a 14 Year Old? And tell them only spend $50 from it? That is what you are doing when you make them a authorized User on your Card.
Amex and my credit union visa let me choose the limit for my kids authorized user cards.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:23 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Ah, I see the difference, in every school district I have worked for the cost of the trip only includes transportation and hotel cost. Meals are never included.
Most class trips I went on meals were included, except sometimes a lunch if we had 'free-time' and there was a food court or something. Any other meals that we spent together as a group, the school paid for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting