U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2019, 07:38 AM

3,655 posts, read 3,440,344 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this is the wrong forum; maybe should be in the travel or finance section? I wasn't sure.

I have a 14-year-old about to go on a class trip to the nation's capital for 4 days. They'll be riding buses, staying in hotels, eating out, and buying souvenirs.

Rather than give her $300 in cash, I'd like to give her a card that she could use for both purchases and ATM withdrawals.

So far, my research suggests there are various flavors of Visa and MasterCharge prepaid cards that you can pre-load with some amount of money, and then use just like a debit/credit card.

Some of them come with monthly fees, some have ATM fees, others don't. It's bewildering. Does anyone have a recommendation for this situation? Mainly I just want her to be able to safely manage her finances. She's been begging for a credit card for months, so this will solve a couple of problems

Thanks for any advice!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 08:00 AM

42,138 posts, read 40,906,998 times
Is she experienced with using ATMs and card readers?

I can’t recommend a specific card but I wanted to advise taking her out to practice and to be aware that there may be different types of card readers and to know whether she needs a PIN etc. Some stuff that seems easy as adults can trip them up.

As teens, mine for some reason mine hated using cards at first because they got intimidated or flustered on the spot. And you wouldn’t want her to get stuck if for some random reason it didn’t work.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:19 AM

9,102 posts, read 16,938,288 times
What is the school paying for, What does She have to Pay for?

I would give her some cash, so she does not need to use a ATM,

Depending on what she need to pay for $75/Day is alot of "Spending" money, Since I would expect a school trip, the only thing she would have to buy food wise is some Snacks/Drinks (that cash would be better for), and maybe a lunch. (In Smaller Bills $5/10's)

But that gives here ALOT of money to Buy "JunK" I would expect $10/Day for Snacks/Drinks $15/Per Lunch. I would limit her to a set amount for souvenirs, TShirts etc, for the entire trip of say $50-100.

I doubt the school is going to let them "Run Free" around DC, They will stay in groups. That will limit the spending opportunities, as the teacher/ chaperones are not going to let them stop at every stand/store they pass.

But back to your original question. A Visa or MasterCard PerPaid Debit card are both fine.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:55 AM

16,445 posts, read 13,902,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Sorry if this is the wrong forum; maybe should be in the travel or finance section? I wasn't sure.

I have a 14-year-old about to go on a class trip to the nation's capital for 4 days. They'll be riding buses, staying in hotels, eating out, and buying souvenirs.

Rather than give her $300 in cash, I'd like to give her a card that she could use for both purchases and ATM withdrawals.

So far, my research suggests there are various flavors of Visa and MasterCharge prepaid cards that you can pre-load with some amount of money, and then use just like a debit/credit card.

Some of them come with monthly fees, some have ATM fees, others don't. It's bewildering. Does anyone have a recommendation for this situation? Mainly I just want her to be able to safely manage her finances. She's been begging for a credit card for months, so this will solve a couple of problems

Thanks for any advice!
The national mall is full of food trucks, and the like that many of the kids enjoy using and many of them do not take credit cards. Give her some cash.

As for this situation, this is exactly why I got my daughter an actual credit card. A prepaid is no safer than cash as they almost never need a pin, and no one checks a signature anymore. At least with a real credit card if it is lost you aren't responsible for all of the charges, and in an emergency they can get cash with it.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:58 AM

16,445 posts, read 13,902,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
What is the school paying for, What does She have to Pay for?

I would give her some cash, so she does not need to use a ATM,

Depending on what she need to pay for $75/Day is alot of "Spending" money, Since I would expect a school trip, the only thing she would have to buy food wise is some Snacks/Drinks (that cash would be better for), and maybe a lunch. (In Smaller Bills $5/10's)

But that gives here ALOT of money to Buy "JunK" I would expect $10/Day for Snacks/Drinks $15/Per Lunch. I would limit her to a set amount for souvenirs, TShirts etc, for the entire trip of say $50-100.

I doubt the school is going to let them "Run Free" around DC, They will stay in groups. That will limit the spending opportunities, as the teacher/ chaperones are not going to let them stop at every stand/store they pass.

But back to your original question. A Visa or MasterCard PerPaid Debit card are both fine.
Why would the school pay for her meals? With the exception of free lunch students, the school doesn't pay for meals during the day. Don't you as a parent expect to feed your kid?

And with that in mind $75 a day is not a lot to spend in DC for meals. It is wildly expensive.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:28 AM

231 posts, read 77,102 times
Sometimes banks offer a card through your bank account that you can preload through the bank. It will have her name and act as a debit card but will have only a small limit that you adjust as needed. After the trip you can continue to give her money to help her learn some responsibility. And if there is an emergency you can put whatever amount is needed on the spot as opposed to wiring money or something. Just in case.

Old 05-08-2019, 10:22 AM

9,102 posts, read 16,938,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Why would the school pay for her meals? With the exception of free lunch students, the school doesn't pay for meals during the day. Don't you as a parent expect to feed your kid?

And with that in mind $75 a day is not a lot to spend in DC for meals. It is wildly expensive.
On School trips like these, The meals are "Included" in the trip cost.

Breakfast is normally a buffet at the hotel, that is included.
Lunch is "On your own" with the group at a limited number of places, (Student might have to pay for this).
Dinner is normally at a "SitDown" restaurant or Buffet at the hotel. Included in the Trip Cost.

The SitDown the students have to select meal from a limited menu, or are given a amount they can spend off the standard menu. The entire bill for the group (meal, tax, tip) is paid for by school from the Trip Money.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:55 AM

4,103 posts, read 3,703,575 times
She needs some cash. Also, you could get her a credit card with her name on it, on your account, and put a spending limit on it. The credit card companies are very good about this. Many credit card companies will give your kid a free card on your account.

Don't do a prepaid card of any sort. They have all sorts of fees, deductions, ATM fees, just awful. Total waste of money.

Your immediate issue is how to safely give her spending money for the trip. But another issue, if she's begging for a credit card, I assume so that she can buy stuff online, is to encourage her to earn money (babysitting is the best money for a 14 yr old girl), and open a bank account for her. That way, she can start learning about earning, saving, and buying what you want with the earned money.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:12 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,601,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Is she experienced with using ATMs and card readers?

I canít recommend a specific card but I wanted to advise taking her out to practice and to be aware that there may be different types of card readers and to know whether she needs a PIN etc. Some stuff that seems easy as adults can trip them up.

As teens, mine for some reason mine hated using cards at first because they got intimidated or flustered on the spot. And you wouldnít want her to get stuck if for some random reason it didnít work.

Most 14 year olds I know can run circles around things that "seem easy to an adult".

Give her $100 bucks in $10's and $20's for things like the food trucks. They are great and inexpensive.

Give her a CC with a $200 limit for other expenses. She will be more than satisfied and her needs will be met.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:10 PM

9,161 posts, read 13,209,935 times
My 15 year old spends his money on video games … so there's that.

Just make sure she uses the $$ responsibly. I know that @ 14 if my mom gave me a credit card, I would have run wild - buy clothes and crap and junk with it and not the important things like food … kids also don't entirely understand the concept of credit. Debit cards are definitely better b/c the $$ gets taken out immediately so they are more aware of the limit.

My son complains he has no money for hanging out with friends, but then goes and buys $50 video games. Teenagers don't really understand fully.

I can see a credit card being problematic for a teenager. I say go with cash or a debit card if anything and explain to her how to use an ATM and safety surrounding them (skimmers, people who may look over your shoulder, that sort of thing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or