U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM

197 posts, read 67,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kineki View Post
Liking girls at 12 does not mean she is gay. She coud be bi. She could be curious. She could still be straight! Don't label kids at 12. I think it's bad parenting. Let kids grow up and decide for themselves! We are supposed to support our kids, not label their sexuality at 12 years old for them.
its very possible she labeled herself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM

292 posts, read 104,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kineki View Post
Liking girls at 12 does not mean she is gay. She coud be bi. She could be curious. She could still be straight! Don't label kids at 12. I think it's bad parenting. Let kids grow up and decide for themselves! We are supposed to support our kids, not label their sexuality at 12 years old for them.
Well she is supposedly supporting her kid. Itís all what the kid wants. To be out and proud. But who knows whatís true.

Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM

13 posts, read 2,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
its unlikely that you were unaware of the opposite sex until you were 21. She may grow and change later but by 12 I knew I liked boys. (im a female btw) so its perfectly reasonable that a 12 year old would know she likes girls
Its not perfectly reasonable to label a 12 year old and expect her to be an advocate.

Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM

I just think it’s weird to be celebrating the sexuality of a child, regardless if she is gay, straight, or bi.

Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
Well she is supposedly supporting her kid. Itís all what the kid wants. To be out and proud. But who knows whatís true.
I may have said I liked other girls when I was 12 too. I loved my best friend. I kissed another girl when I was 15. I got married to a man and have never considered myself anything but straight. If we label our kids it's too easy to stick them with the wrong label. Growing up is hard! Let them figure it out for themselves like the rest of us did and support them when they do.

Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
its very possible she labeled herself
Don't box them in with labels of gay or straight at 12. Kids make a lot of decisions for themselves that they quickly change. That's kids. Give them the air to figure it out and be who they are without the restrictions of labels around their necks.

Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM

I agree I’m just stating what I was told. That being said. Grand Marshal of an explicit parade like that? It’s an adult event.

Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I agree Iím just stating what I was told. That being said. Grand Marshal of an explicit parade like that? Itís an adult event.
Agree and she shouldn't make an adult decision based on what she feels at 12.

Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM

1,107 posts, read 478,526 times
Quote:
Iím talking about the ones in LA, NY, or Chicago. Iíve been to the one in NY and while fun. Itís not a place for kids with the nudity etc....your thoughts? My cousins daughter (who is gay) was chosen for one. My other relative told her itís great she out and is an advocate in her town etc....but those huge Pride parades are not a place for kids. She was angry.
I donít think itís any of your business.

However, since you seem to make it your business, I would say if itís small and in your average suburb for example, then I donít think thereíd be any nudity or drug use. I thought that being a grand marshall is a huge honor and doubt that a twelve year old would fit that description. I probably wouldnít have my children participate.

Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM
Status: "I was born in the wrong century" (set 12 days ago)

327 posts, read 57,381 times
Quote:
Iím talking about the ones in LA, NY, or Chicago. Iíve been to the one in NY and while fun. Itís not a place for kids with the nudity etc....your thoughts? My cousins daughter (who is gay) was chosen for one. My other relative told her itís great she out and is an advocate in her town etc....but those huge Pride parades are not a place for kids. She was angry.
Absolutely not! We would not even attend much less allow our children to participate in something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting