U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 10:01 AM

2,623 posts, read 1,494,943 times

Advertisements

I see no issues with it. I would encourage my child to live their authentic self and if this is what they wanted to do I would support them unconditionally
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 10:04 AM

3,711 posts, read 1,556,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
I believe you can know your gay at that age and younger but the mother putting her on display (even if itís the daughters wishes) is a bit much. Great to accept it and be open with friends and family etc....but her mom has her all over FB, fundraisers etc....itís a bit attention seeking on the mothers part and I do agree that maybe later on the daughter might not be happy her mother was doing this.
Maybe stage momma is hoping daughter will get a tacky reality show like I Am Jazz or My 600 lb Life, so strangers can marvel at her outre lifestyle and wonder what her momma was thinking.

Sing out, Louise!
Ugh.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:46 PM

10,344 posts, read 8,278,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
Iíd have no issue with it .. nudity and sexuality are not things Iíd want to hide from kids. They have to learn whatís normal from seeing whatís not as much as seeing what is.

Seriously?? Think about this statement: murder, rape, incest, pedophilia, are not normal. Do you think kids should witness - actually see, not learn about - these things in order to learn what IS normal?

Back to the topic at hand. Who, exactly, invited the twelve-year-old to be the Grand Marshal? What is their connection with this girl? Why not have a successful adult gay person as Grand Marshal, if a role model is sought?

This looks far too much like grooming to me, and I'd say the same if it were a Playboy parade. Not appropriate for kids to be involved in adult activities, regardless of orientation.

A few years ago, a gay unit participated in our local July 4 parade. There were lots of rainbow balloons and posters, moms with small kids, and so on, which was fine with me.

But - there was also an adult man, clad in skimpy black leather bands which I supposed were bondage paraphernalia. He was accompanied by a little boy, perhaps ten at most, lightly clad, with a dog collar around his neck, and a leash held by the leather guy. The child didn't look happy at all...self-conscious and embarrassed instead.

Looking back at it, I wish I had spoken to the police and asked them to investigate the situation, but I was so shocked that it didn't occur to me at the time. God knows what that child experienced when he was NOT marching down Main Street...

So, no, I don't think this little girl has any business being the Grand Marshal of a Gay Pride parade. Nor does any child. While none of the gay people I know are pedophiles and all of them would find grooming a child abhorrent, there are both gay and straight child molesters around, and there is a considerable portion of the bay community which seems to enjoy very suggestive, outre behavior. Not exactly family or child friendly.

If it was a gay community family picnic, I'd let her go and I would probably go with her just to make sure nothing objectionable occurred. But too many weirdos can seize the opportunity to be in a parade to use if for nefarious purposes. Keep her away from that, no matter what she decides her orientation is or is going to be.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:58 PM

10,344 posts, read 8,278,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I see no issues with it. I would encourage my child to live their authentic self and if this is what they wanted to do I would support them unconditionally
Some kids' - and adults' "authentic selves" can be pretty unpleasant. Not to mention dangerous. Not saying this girl falls into those categories, but it seems to me that encouraging a child to live their best life and to pursue and cherish what is authentically good and strong in their character, while working on problematic traits, might get you closer to the goal of having a functional adult who is also caring, kind, open, etc.

Most two year olds demonstrate their authentic selves by throwing temper tantrums from time to time. That's what they want to do, when they are tired, cranky, and Mommy or Daddy says "No".

Authenticity is not the complete goal. Fine to be true to yourself - if you are a good, ethical, caring person to begin with. If someone has weaknesses in these areas, maybe they would do better to focus on self-improvement rather than excusing bad behavior because it represents their "authentic self".

Parents and others close to kids would do well to expose them to productive experiences that will be not only enjoyable for the child but also will help with the child's inner growth and character development. This proposed activity is just too sketchy for my liking and contains too many potential pitfalls.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:37 PM

544 posts, read 105,452 times
Quote:
Seriously?? Think about this statement: murder, rape, incest, pedophilia, are not normal. Do you think kids should witness - actually see, not learn about - these things in order to learn what IS normal?

Sure they see it in the news all the time .... shielding kids from real life just makes little snowflakes that canít cope when they are 23 ....

Old 05-09-2019, 01:47 PM

5,884 posts, read 2,699,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I think you are very wrong about this. I think they know it FAR younger than 12. I had crushes on boys in Kindergarten. I'm sure gay kids would have crushes just as similar as me, but on the same gender. These kids are BORN gay, and people just don't seem to get it.

My nephew was gay and had all the signs at even 3 years old. Very effeminate, liked being with girls but not boys, didn't enjoy doing things with his father (my brother) who tried to interest him in hunting and fishing with the guys, and never enjoyed playing with my sons who were rough and tumble boys. In our family, it's funny, but the only people who were blind to this were his parents, but no one mentioned it to them until he finally came out when he was in his late teens.
You are most welcome to think what you may. Ditto for myself
I did not say whether someone is or isn't born a certain way. What is being denied is that the tween 'knows' this. I stand by the reasoning that 12 years of age hardly grasp their sexuality in it's true context. My generation didn't sit around in a quandry on our sexual orientation. Most of us vascilated as we matured and noticed our body change. Sorry but your bias that it's an effeminate trait...ergo they must be gay astounds me. Live and learn.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:35 PM

6,566 posts, read 2,025,192 times
Quote:
I just think itís weird to be celebrating the sexuality of a child, regardless if she is gay, straight, or bi.
Exactly.

It's the sexualization of children under the veil of "tolerance" and "diversity."

Old 05-09-2019, 11:33 PM

9,741 posts, read 6,171,691 times
" Would you let your 12 year old daughter be a grand Marshall in a gay pride parade? "

Absolutely not, those parades can get a little odd to say the least. People tend to go overboard, not a place for kids.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:51 AM

9,163 posts, read 10,769,741 times
Quote:
I believe you can know your gay at that age and younger but the mother putting her on display (even if itís the daughters wishes) is a bit much. Great to accept it and be open with friends and family etc....but her mom has her all over FB, fundraisers etc....itís a bit attention seeking on the mothers part and I do agree that maybe later on the daughter might not be happy her mother was doing this.
What you posted here is disturbing to me. I'm a mother of a LGBTQ kid. No, at twelve I would not have allowed the kid to be a Grand Marshall at any parade. Not for many of the reasons others have mentioned, like she doesn't know her sexuality, etc... . My kid did. I knew as well. No, the reason is twelve years old is too young for that sort of exposure in public.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:14 AM

1,251 posts, read 775,093 times
Would you let your 12 year old go to a rave or nightclub? Not just no but hell the f--k no!

Straight or Gay, Boy or Girl, 12 years old is too young to be solicited for function of a sexual nature. I very rarely suggest this but, about whoever suggested your pre-teen be in a gay pride function, find some way to press charges.

Last edited by RageX; 05-10-2019 at 04:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting