U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 07:53 AM

307 posts, read 117,221 times

Advertisements

The more I hear about things the more I find concerning. And hard to believe I’m related to her. Her mother is obsessed with the LGBTQ community. Constant posts to help anyone who needs money for reassignment surgery. Selling rainbow stickers, t shirts etc....they are having a local pride parade but you have to buy a t shirt to walk in it. Her daughter is all over the news. Met with their state senator. She colors her daughters hair in rainbow colors. She is organizing a gay prom. She promotes all this to her students in middle school. And she also ran to be on the board in her town. She didn’t win but still has a lot of support. It’s one thing to he enthusiastic but it’s almost like she is patting her self on the back and using her child, even though they insist it was all the kids idea. She says she is saving lives. Also seem to be a money making thing. Rumor is, her child told someone she isn’t even really gay. Of course that is just a gossip and can’t know if it’s true. But something is just not right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 08:05 AM

14,320 posts, read 8,250,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kineki View Post
How can a 12 year old be already labeled as gay or straight? At that age we are just learning about sexuality. Who would slap a label on so young and then have a kid be an advocate for it? Give her at least to 18 or 21 and let her label for herself what she is and let her advocate what she wants to advocate for as an adult.
As a 12 year old, did you have a crush? Most of of at least felt a twinge of a something toward someone. We know. These things do not change in most cases.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:25 AM

2,589 posts, read 2,306,304 times
No.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:42 AM
Status: "Any Russian written here is for the benefit of trolls" (set 13 days ago)

4,645 posts, read 1,914,456 times
I know that this is old fashioned, my protection of a minor from sexual influence would extend to the age of consent. Once a daughter is 16 or 17 their natural urges will tell her which way to go. Psychologists suggest that it's not bad for a young woman to wait until she is out of her teens to have her first experience.

On the flip side of the coin, I don't think that it's wise for a woman to wait past 30 for her first experience. That could be interpreted as disinterest or it could be disinterest for or a more fundamental reason.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:48 AM

6,584 posts, read 2,028,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
The more I hear about things the more I find concerning. And hard to believe Iím related to her. Her mother is obsessed with the LGBTQ community. Constant posts to help anyone who needs money for reassignment surgery. Selling rainbow stickers, t shirts etc....they are having a local pride parade but you have to buy a t shirt to walk in it. Her daughter is all over the news. Met with their state senator. She colors her daughters hair in rainbow colors. She is organizing a gay prom. She promotes all this to her students in middle school. And she also ran to be on the board in her town. She didnít win but still has a lot of support. Itís one thing to he enthusiastic but itís almost like she is patting her self on the back and using her child, even though they insist it was all the kids idea. She says she is saving lives. Also seem to be a money making thing. Rumor is, her child told someone she isnít even really gay. Of course that is just a gossip and canít know if itís true. But something is just not right.
Imagine the fall out for that poor child if *not gay.* She'd probably be kicked out of the house.

Parents need to leave the kids alone.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:10 AM

4,073 posts, read 1,490,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kineki View Post
How can a 12 year old be already labeled as gay or straight? At that age we are just learning about sexuality. Who would slap a label on so young and then have a kid be an advocate for it? Give her at least to 18 or 21 and let her label for herself what she is and let her advocate what she wants to advocate for as an adult.
Boy George came our when he was 14, and he knew he was "different" for years before that.

Old 05-12-2019, 01:44 AM

9,165 posts, read 10,772,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
I know that this is old fashioned, my protection of a minor from sexual influence would extend to the age of consent. Once a daughter is 16 or 17 their natural urges will tell her which way to go. Psychologists suggest that it's not bad for a young woman to wait until she is out of her teens to have her first experience.

On the flip side of the coin, I don't think that it's wise for a woman to wait past 30 for her first experience. That could be interpreted as disinterest or it could be disinterest for or a more fundamental reason.
Natural urges/attraction happens well before 16 or 17, age of consent. Not saying that young teens should act on these attractions. But they are there nonetheless. A kid can identify as gay/straight at 12 years old (and even younger) but that doesn't mean they are sexually active. It's always baffling to me that so many people seem to think that a kid stating they are gay means they've had a sexual encounter. I know nothing about the kid that the OP posted about. I do know that I would not allow my then 12 year old kid to be the grand marshall in a Pride parade. It's too much pressure. It could put the child in danger by haters. Just no.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:54 AM

11,881 posts, read 9,736,079 times
The idea that a 12 year old does not have romantic AND sexual notions is absurd. Would I allow? If it were her thing, I'd hope to be able to walk near her.

Old 05-12-2019, 02:35 PM

Location: Where rhotic consonants are either absent or intrusive
8,857 posts, read 5,150,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Natural urges/attraction happens well before 16 or 17, age of consent. Not saying that young teens should act on these attractions. But they are there nonetheless. A kid can identify as gay/straight at 12 years old (and even younger) but that doesn't mean they are sexually active. It's always baffling to me that so many people seem to think that a kid stating they are gay means they've had a sexual encounter. I know nothing about the kid that the OP posted about. I do know that I would not allow my then 12 year old kid to be the grand marshall in a Pride parade. It's too much pressure. It could put the child in danger by haters. Just no.
^^ All of this. I knew by age 12 that I was attracted to both males and females (long before I was sexually actively)... I just didnít know there was a name for it.

As far as the child in question goes, as long as she is the one who is labeling herself, Iím not sure what the visceral reaction is to; she might identify differently as an adult, but so what?

As to the issue of the pride parade, I would be okay with it IF it were an explicitly family-friendly event. Otherwise, no, because I donít believe in intentionally exposing children to any sexually explicit situations.

Old 05-12-2019, 04:00 PM

15,526 posts, read 24,750,212 times
I go to these parades here in NY every year, my question is, WHY would a 12 year old be a grand marshall????

completely baffles the hell out of me.

A 12 year old can go to the parade, but march as a grand marshall?

who is the first place asked her to be a grand marshall??????

My sons all came to the parade every year, and they were young also.....in support and to have a fun day in the city...

a grand marshall????? no, shes way to young.
a grand marshall is to lead.....a 12 year old?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting