Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 04:05 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
The more I hear about things the more I find concerning. And hard to believe I’m related to her. Her mother is obsessed with the LGBTQ community. Constant posts to help anyone who needs money for reassignment surgery. Selling rainbow stickers, t shirts etc....they are having a local pride parade but you have to buy a t shirt to walk in it. Her daughter is all over the news. Met with their state senator. She colors her daughters hair in rainbow colors. She is organizing a gay prom. She promotes all this to her students in middle school. And she also ran to be on the board in her town. She didn’t win but still has a lot of support. It’s one thing to he enthusiastic but it’s almost like she is patting her self on the back and using her child, even though they insist it was all the kids idea. She says she is saving lives. Also seem to be a money making thing. Rumor is, her child told someone she isn’t even really gay. Of course that is just a gossip and can’t know if it’s true. But something is just not right.
Sounds like a way to get a lot of attention and affirmation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 04:34 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
The more I hear about things the more I find concerning. And hard to believe I’m related to her. Her mother is obsessed with the LGBTQ community. Constant posts to help anyone who needs money for reassignment surgery. Selling rainbow stickers, t shirts etc....they are having a local pride parade but you have to buy a t shirt to walk in it. Her daughter is all over the news. Met with their state senator. She colors her daughters hair in rainbow colors. She is organizing a gay prom. She promotes all this to her students in middle school. And she also ran to be on the board in her town. She didn’t win but still has a lot of support. It’s one thing to he enthusiastic but it’s almost like she is patting her self on the back and using her child, even though they insist it was all the kids idea. She says she is saving lives. Also seem to be a money making thing. Rumor is, her child told someone she isn’t even really gay. Of course that is just a gossip and can’t know if it’s true. But something is just not right.
That is at the least irresponsible parenting, but really more emotional abuse by the mother. Sick.

Old 05-12-2019, 06:10 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
I don't think the 12 year old will be a grand marshal in NYC.

https://www.gaycitynews.nyc/stories/...04-25-gcn.html

I don't think the 12 year old will be a grand marshal in NYC.

Quote:
The marshals are the cast of “Pose,” a television series set in 1980s New York City that explores the ball culture world and the downtown social and literary scene; Phyll Opoku-Gyimah, a co-founder of UK Black Pride; the Gay Liberation Front, the very first LGBTQ activist organization formed after the Stonewall riots; The Trevor Project, a national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to LGBTQ youth; and Monica Helms, a transgender activist and the creator of the Transgender Pride Flag.
Chicago has a youth grand marshal (Molly Pinta) who is 12.

Quote:
For this year's Chicago’s 50th Annual Pride Parade there will be several Grand Marshals. There will be an Honorary Grand Marshal (to be announced); a Youth Grand Marshal; several“ Legacy" Grand Marshals (three community members continually active in LGBTQ+ organizations and/or business since before Stonewall for 50 years +) and an Organizational Grand Marshal.
Quote:
YOUTH GRAND MARSHAL - for this year's parade is Molly Pinta, the 12 year old middle school student who lobbied to have a Pride Parade in her home town of Buffalo Grove and came out as a lesbian to her parents, friends, teachers and world-at-large. Molly is the result and a shining example of the hard work and sacrifices made by those generations of activists who for 50 years have toiled before, and leading up to Stonewall. Molly attended last year's Aurora Pride Parade and decided to plan for a parade in her hometown Buffalo Grove. She and her family have long been advocates for social justice in her town. Molly, a longtime actor, singer and dancer, has aspirations to be a teacher like her parents, and continue running their new non-profit, The Pinta Pride Project to keep Pride coming to Buffalo Grove every year and support other young people in bringing their own events
Chicago's parade may also be less family friendly than the two parades she has gone to in Aurora and Buffalo Grove, but as a grand marshal, you march. You are not watching the performances of the people who are marching or who are on the sidelines. The overall grand marshal is Monica Raymund, the star of "Chicago Fire"

Information about the Chicago Pride Parade here:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...htmlstory.html

Old 05-12-2019, 11:14 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Not a snowballs chance in hell. Would I let her mingle in or march in a parade being held for any other reason, if I knew she would be doing so with gay people? Of course!

Twelve-year olds do not need to be featured front & center in any public event celebrating sexual orientation, period. I don’t care if it’s about my orientation, your orientation, both, neither, nor ... whatever. Involving kids at any level is a slippery slope & not a great way to establish validity.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:16 AM

538 posts, read 385,510 times
Now she has her kid speaking at LGBTQ events. Reading speeches on equality. I think that is to much for a 7th grader.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Now she has her kid speaking at LGBTQ events. Reading speeches on equality. I think that is to much for a 7th grader.
https://www.phrases.com/phrase/not-y...-monkeys_20631

Old 05-15-2019, 09:22 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,703,329 times
Sounds like this child doesn't need a safe space from who she is. Sounds like a lot of posters do, though.

Quote:
I’m talking about the ones in LA, NY, or Chicago. I’ve been to the one in NY and while fun. It’s not a place for kids with the nudity etc....your thoughts? My cousins daughter (who is gay) was chosen for one. My other relative told her it’s great she out and is an advocate in her town etc....but those huge Pride parades are not a place for kids. She was angry.
You and your cousins and issues involving gays...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/educa...ins-wants.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I think you are very wrong about this. I think they know it FAR younger than 12. I had crushes on boys in Kindergarten. I'm sure gay kids would have crushes just as similar as me, but on the same gender. These kids are BORN gay, and people just don't seem to get it.

My nephew was gay and had all the signs at even 3 years old. Very effeminate, liked being with girls but not boys, didn't enjoy doing things with his father (my brother) who tried to interest him in hunting and fishing with the guys, and never enjoyed playing with my sons who were rough and tumble boys. In our family, it's funny, but the only people who were blind to this were his parents, but no one mentioned it to them until he finally came out when he was in his late teens.
My older son always knew he was different from most kids, though obviously at first on he didn't know precisely what that meant. My wife picked up on the fact that he might well be gay early on (around his age of 6 or 7). Sure enough, he was, and when he came out at age 16 he'd known for years.

I knew perfectly well that I 'liked girls' well before I was 12, though I didn't think in terms of sexual orientation. I was probably an adult before I knew that homosexuality was something people were, as opposed to what they did. And even in the mid-80s when I was in high school, everyone who was gay was deeply closeted, whoever they were. I cannot imagine the hell of being gay and out at that time.

Acceptance is a battle. Strides have been made, but I think this thread demonstrates a lot of discomfort with LGBTQ people in general, masked as concern for children (and I think a lot of those people doing so are fooling themselves more than anyone).

Old 05-17-2019, 06:21 AM

538 posts, read 385,510 times
I don’t think this thread shows discomfort for the LGBTQ community. I think it’s very legit to wonder how much is too much when putting your child on display in any situation.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:27 AM

Quote:
I don’t think this thread shows discomfort for the LGBTQ community. I think it’s very legit to wonder how much is too much when putting your child on display in any situation.
Then why mention the gay part at all? Why not just say, "Would you let your 12-year-old be a grand marshal in a parade?"

Because it IS relevant.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:07 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Quote:
Sure it does. While I don't agree with minor children living their lives so publically, the visceral fear of a child "labeling" themselves as anything but straight is evidence of the underlying discomfort with LGBTQ. Because heterosexuality is still viewed as the default, there is no such discomfort with a preteen "labeling" themselves as straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting