Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 09:55 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
"Ect." ? Is that the new abbreviation for ectoplasm? Do you perhaps mean etc., the abbreviation for et cetera?

People who live in glass houses should definitely not throw stones.
That’s how the “genius” OP spelled it.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:55 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,560,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincylover4 View Post
But really he is not that bad, he never gets in trouble at school, he doesn't do drugs or vape and is an all A student, my question was have you ever met a teen who acts like an adult
I've met plenty of teens who acted like adults, but usually it was not because their parents had given them money and/or cars, but because the parents who should have been raising them had abdicated their responsibilities. More than a few of them turned out to be successful adults despite not having been given the financial and parenting leg(s) up that your child has been given.

Your child's financial interests and activities, while admirable, don't necessarily mean that he's behaving as a adult would. It just means that he's using the money that his father has gifted him over the years and the money that he's earned in a clever way with little risk to himself. That being said, it would be wise to continue to encourage him in this interest of his. It might give him a more definite direction in determining what he'd like to do to one day earn his living.

As for the car, that's a concern that you and your husband brought upon yourselves. Deal with it accordingly. It's not as if he'll legally be able to go anywhere at anytime anytime in the near future. (Assuming here, that he's at least fifteen and a half at present and will have a "Cinderella license" between the ages of sixteen and eighteen.)

Old 05-17-2019, 10:01 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincylover4 View Post
But why should I run things? Just to be an *******? Why not let him control his life and I control mine? That's how I've been doing things and its turning out to be very successful.
Apparently not if your on here complaining about him yelling at his friends dad and how you can't discipline him. He may be gifted in investing money, but he is still a child and needs guidelines.

Old 05-18-2019, 05:38 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,236,547 times
The OP is talking out of both sides of her mouth. Her initial post is complaining that they have lost control of her kid, now she's saying how wonderful her kid is and why would she do anything to change him.

Either the OP is not the mother and is actually the kid, or the OP needs some professional counciling. She sounds very confused. If this post is from the kid (which is actually what it sounds like), then he's not as special as he thinks. Lots of kids are very savvy about financials, mostly because their parents taught them well. And yes, all his accounts have his parents name on them and they can take them away from him.

Last edited by carnivalday; 05-18-2019 at 05:51 AM..

Old 05-18-2019, 06:01 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
I have to chuckle as I read this and think about how many "stock experts" there are when the market is on a strong up run.

Maybe the kid should start day trading lol....remember that fad?

Old 05-18-2019, 07:36 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Ok. So I've read this entire thing.

OP, truthfully. Was this thread meant as a humble brag? And that's why it got so twisty when posters believed you actually were needing help?

Old 05-18-2019, 07:42 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,725,104 times
He's not acting like an adult at all. He's acting like a spoiled brat who has too much money thanks to his parents, who want to indulge his every whim.

Adults think of others. They pay all of their own expenses (rent/mortgage, utility bills, etc.). They usually volunteer or otherwise give back to the community. They don't get into little snits. They generally cooperate with other members of the household.

I think that when he does become an actual adult, reality will hit him upside the head and he won't know what to do.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:50 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Notice how she has since vanished ...

Old 05-18-2019, 07:52 AM

2,869 posts, read 1,149,380 times
I see the OP has evaporated.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:12 AM

29 posts, read 17,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
That's the same passion that marks Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Jeff Bezos, and Donald Trump: they've all done very well.
He wants to go to NYU or Upenn and then become an investment banker on Wall st
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting