U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 04:01 PM

12,032 posts, read 9,814,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
My stepson is not adventurous. We try to take him to out to experience things but the handheld device he plays comes everywhere, it's hard for him to really enjoy what we're doing or get anything out of the experience.
How old is this kid again? Make him put the device DOWN. Leave it at HOME. Set limit.

Quote:
Admittedly it's just started to become warm-ish here in the Northeast
Having lived my whole life in the NE, I have learned of this awesome invention. Jackets. Hell there are even... hats! ANd gloves!

Quote:
so I am hoping he can enjoy summer here he doesn't like the beach. We are going to take him camping and whale watching. IDK if he will like camping, there is nowhere to charge the devices, lol.

I'm in my late 30's. I grew up on the peak of computers. My parents got their first computer, Apple 2E, when I was about 9. I think technology has really overtaken our kids. It's really quite sad.

You DON'T have to let it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 04:02 PM

12,032 posts, read 9,814,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
It's pretty much anything goes @ her house. She lives in another state but he has been with her full-time until coming to us now full-time. I think he is used to just being left alone to play video games.

My husband doesn't set boundaries or rules for him. I think there does need to be some rules.

One thing for me is that my family is all based here and my husband's family is based on the opposite side of the country, so all holidays are spent with my family .. and my stepson will come and play his game the ENTIRE time and not socialize with anyone. I do know he finds it boring b/c there isn't anyone his age, but @ 15, you can learn to be a little sociable with people.

My husband doesn't set rules or boundaries b/c his grades are good and he helps around the house ... but "good" kids need rules too.

We aren't always going to be around and my stepson needs to be able to stop the games and take himself to school or work without us prompting him. (I wake him up everyday and tell him it's time for school ... and I think he can't wake himself up b/c he is tired from playing games all night) ... when I tell my husband this he says "well let him wake up late and miss school then" ... I don't think that is the right attitude.

But I am not his mom, so I try and stay out of it.
missed this. Sorry. That is a difficult position.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:09 PM

1,814 posts, read 725,969 times
Yes, and we don't try to find a balance. We support each other's styles.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:45 AM

80 posts, read 22,637 times
Yuppers, sure do/did.

I was always staunchly old-fashioned and traditional in my ways when it came to parenting. I was strict, spanked, and when I said "no", I meant "no".

Dear husband on the other-hand was the softie, and locked horns with me on the spanking issue, etc, and when mom was out of the house, dear husband allowed the kids to get away with things they would have never dreamed of getting away with had I been home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting