Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 08:06 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times

Advertisements

Ok.. I searched, it wasn't in the first page. So.. While I figure this gets asked every year.. Here it is again.

Class Rings.. Generally done Junior or Senior year?

It's been 25 years since I got mine.. I seem to remember it being Junior year with them being delivered late in the year. Herff-Jones as I recall.. Still have mine sitting on a shelf and it don't fit no more. As I'm fairly certain goes for everyone who got one.

But I don't remember when I got it and I don't remember the cost.. Which, being 25 years ago was probably not as much as they are now.

So, two questions.. When are they generally done and anyone who's had a child get one in the past few years.. What are they running now?

I promised my nephews when it came time, I'd get their class rings for them and.. One's a junior this year, so.. Just planning out, but I think time has come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 08:11 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
You don't remember the Jostens guy coming to your school? Or maybe y'all had Balfour.

I remember ours being between $200-$300, but that was in the 80s. None of my sons wanted class rings. They still look to be a couple hundred dollars each.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:31 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
You don't remember the Jostens guy coming to your school? Or maybe y'all had Balfour.

I remember ours being between $200-$300, but that was in the 80s. None of my sons wanted class rings. They still look to be a couple hundred dollars each.

I think ours was Herff-Jones. I could be wrong, it was either them or Jostens. And, yes.. "The guy" came to the school. I just don't remember anything about it. The class ring was all I wanted and I only wanted it as the symbol of accomplishment. "The Guy" was a group of people because we had close to 700 people in the graduating class. Better than my brother, whose class was over 1000.

I do remember that we had the tradition of getting an equal number of people to turn the ring on your finger as your graduation year.. So.. It took me a while to get 91 different people who I remotely considered friends to do that.

The $250 range SEEMS right by memory.. But.. I can't remember yesterday. And you have to assume that inflation and the price of gold has increased that number in the past 25-30 years.

I also wonder if certain areas the class ring is a bigger thing than others. I graduated in Northern Virginia, and damn near all of us got rings. Down here in South Carolina, I don't think it's as big a thing..

Old 08-22-2019, 12:09 AM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Turning the ring I've not heard of but sounds like a fun tradition.
Pretty sure I wore my class ring only during senior year, so thinking it was ordered at the end of junior year, maybe the beginning of senior year. I seem to remember swearing to my mom that I'd still wear it after graduation because she was put out at spending so much for something I'd wear for such a short time.
My kids didn't want class rings either.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:48 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I was going to order one for my daughter at the end of her junior year, but she didn't want it. She said she wouldn't wear it after high school, and that I could wait and buy her a college ring or just give her money to put toward her college books. The ring we were looking at was $175. It was silver with a glass stone.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:02 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Honestly I'm surprised to learn that class rings are still a thing. Is anyone still wearing theirs?

I prevailed upon my parents to buy me a class ring (this was back in the mid-60's), although my mother was very much against it. A few months after the ring arrived, I lost it somewhere outside and never found it again. My mother was furious.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:15 AM

325 posts, read 207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I was going to order one for my daughter at the end of her junior year, but she didn't want it. She said she wouldn't wear it after high school, and that I could wait and buy her a college ring or just give her money to put toward her college books. The ring we were looking at was $175. It was silver with a glass stone.

In lieu of class rings, my parents purchased very nice birthstone rings for myself/siblings. All girls in our family... so it worked out very well. We were thrilled to have our first piece of nice jewelry and it made us feel unique and special. I wore mine on my right hand for years...... until my husband replaced it with an upgraded anniversary gift.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:35 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post

You have a very smart daughter there ! I bet none of us ever wore our class rings more than 6 months after graduating. I gave mine to some long forgotten girl, and haven't seen it in almost 60 years.

Biggest scam and waste of money on the planet.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:48 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralUSHomeowner View Post
In lieu of class rings, my parents purchased very nice birthstone rings for myself/siblings. All girls in our family... so it worked out very well. We were thrilled to have our first piece of nice jewelry and it made us feel unique and special. I wore mine on my right hand for years...... until my husband replaced it with an upgraded anniversary gift.
This is a great idea.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:53 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Jostens ring 1960, plain gold with engraved raised outline of school and the name and my year of graduation....$20.

I wore that ring for probably 40 years, and finally took it off and gave it to my youngest daughter who always said she wanted to inherit it

None of my kids or grandkids even mentioned a class ring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting