U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 10:27 AM

170 posts, read 67,803 times

Advertisements

Limiting screen time for a 3 year old means getting involved with your child in reading, playing, going outside, library, crafts, activities of all sorts, and basically putting your own wants and needs on hold.
Screen time at this age should be watching an occasional cartoon on a DVD. A short one. An episode or two of Thomas, Monster Trucks or Wiggles. That's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 10:39 AM

188 posts, read 60,852 times
It's not complicated. Take away the devices.

Old 05-27-2019, 10:54 AM

303 posts, read 67,549 times
I have a 3 and 5 year old and they rarely get any screen time. Just chromecast 2 short videos each before bed and some on the weekend morning. On Friday, my wife gives the 5 year old 5 minutes of her phone.

The MAIN reason why parents of children that age are having a challenge is due to parents taking short-cuts, mis-guided (hey, my child is so smart with the tablet), inconsiderate or selfish for their own time so will do anything to not interact with their own child. Fix that first, interact with the child, establish firm boundaries which includes a very strong time-out and/or discipline to re-establish authority.

I act as if it doesn't even exist, and at no times should a child that young have their own tablet or access to it at their will.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:23 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,110,915 times
Iím the parent they are the children, if I say turn it off it gets turned off. I donít give into whining, crying, tantrums, begging etc. They have plenty of other things to do and play with and we do things as a family. Nice day they can play outside with friends. If you canít deal with a 3yr old, the teenage years are going to be hell for you.

Old 05-27-2019, 11:24 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,110,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
It's not complicated. Take away the devices.
Right! Be the parent, you are in charge not the child.

Old 05-27-2019, 04:47 PM

2,418 posts, read 5,027,120 times
I didn't need any advice on how to not give my 3 year old something. I just ... didn't give it to him.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:09 PM

Location: Where rhotic consonants are either absent or intrusive
8,890 posts, read 5,197,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentingimproved View Post
I am a father of 3 year old. Limiting screen time has been definitely a challenge for me. I am thinking to immerse myself in this topic & find a solution for this problem. I asked some of my friends. They all seem to have the same problem. Would you be interested in advice on the same?
A three-year-old? Seriously? This is as easy as parenting gets. My 8 year old has spent the better part of the weekend screaming because he can’t figure out how to tie his shoes. Screen time battles with a 3 year old would be a welcome reprieve.

Old 05-27-2019, 05:53 PM

10,452 posts, read 15,438,866 times
EASY

Cartman vs. The Dog Whisperer - Video Clip | South Park Studios

Old 05-27-2019, 06:34 PM

4,914 posts, read 4,034,052 times
No. The word "no" is a complete sentence, and it's all you need to do to limit screen time for a 3 year old.

Seriously, he's THREE!! If you are struggling with this now, what are you going to do when he's 10? 13? 15?

I raised 3 children (boys) to adulthood (all now in their 20s), and you need to be a parent, not a friend. You get to be friends when he's an adult.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:47 PM

9,014 posts, read 2,942,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
Billionaires tend to, ironically, send their kids to schools that don't use your traditional set of computers and i-pads for the mere fact that learning through electronic devices just doesn't encourage the neural pathways of brain development to occur that would enhance accelerated learning.

Grasping of knowledge and concepts the traditional way actually works best.

And rough and tumble play for kids actually builds empathy, among hand-eye-coordination.

In other words, yes, limit the gimmicky gadgets. Your child shall benefit exponentially, in the long run.

And this is shown by the downhill slide in the performance levels of younger people. Students who communicate by texting friends who're sitting right next to them, is not something that happened in past times. Unfortunately, sending them to cloistered, residential, private schools, with authoritarian policies, is the only way to save a child from this in today's world. You could no more keep a teenager from being online in a regular home and school environment, than you could prevent them from having sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or