U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:58 AM

17,686 posts, read 17,958,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You should start a separate thread for this as you will get more answers there. I would certainly be concerned about the little one since doctors recommend no screen time at all for children this young.

Since you share a house with the dad, can you talk to him and offer some caregiving for the child? What is your relationship to the dad? You say the dad is bipolar. Is he taking meds for that? He may not be able to interact well with his son? Where is the mom in all this?
Great questions. My grandchildren (3 and 5) do not have any TV screen time (no TV in the house) and 15 to 20 minutes (usually an educational video) before bed. They also can use iPads during long car or airplane rides.

IMHO, too much screen time means less book time, less fine motor time, less social interaction time, less independent play time, less learning basic skills time, less gross motor/play outside time, less language/talking/sharing time, etc. That can cause many problems for a young child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:44 PM

43,859 posts, read 53,525,028 times
Before bed is the worst time for screens.
Stop 30 minutes prior to bed.

Adults, too.

Old Today, 05:47 PM

17,686 posts, read 17,958,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Before bed is the worst time for screens.
Stop 30 minutes prior to bed.

Adults, too.
I completely agree, but as the mother/MIL I am limited in how many parenting suggestions/advice that I make (if any). My point was more that the 3 and 5 year old are limited to 15 to 20 minutes of screen time (computers and TV) per day (except for special situations, like on an airplane) and not when the screen time happened.

Old Today, 07:59 PM

4,794 posts, read 6,683,572 times
If children are allowed to use screens before bed, there should be a blue-light blocker installed on the device. Research is showing bad effects on children's sleep due to exposure to blue light.

Old Today, 08:19 PM

7,380 posts, read 4,100,190 times
We were only allowed limited screen time. There was no argument. Limited time or NO time... your call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or