U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 10:13 PM

500 posts, read 612,327 times

Advertisements

Lost most of the toys/plushes/books that my kids had from their childhood. They are 18 now (twins). I know it's not the biggest deal in the world but I hate that they won't have hardly anything from their childhoods to remember or pass on to their kids. I've looked on ebay and seen several so it would be possible. But it also feels weird because of course, these would not be theirs but replacements.

Curious what others think. Would you go to the effort to give them sold of their old favorites or just let memories be memories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 03:08 AM

10,388 posts, read 14,226,100 times
Ask the kids? One of my kids could care less about that stuff, the other has a shelf full of childhood treasures. I myself have bought replacements for some of my childhood memories, a few kids books, a card game, some ceramic knick knacks like my mom had that I would play with on the sly, and oddly some vintage kitchenware that is reminiscent of my childhood. But that's me, I certainly wouldn't expend the time or money to chase things down online unless you know your kids would actually like to have objects instead of just memories.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:06 AM

13,138 posts, read 20,706,093 times
I think if the items had meaning for them, they would seek out replacements themselves. I saved a LOT of toys for my kids, even separating them so when the time came to pass them down there would be no question as to who it belonged to. There's only one grandchild so far, and I've sent him a few of the things his dad had, but honestly, the response was underwhelming.

Apparently I have stronger happy memories of this stuff than they do.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:33 AM

3,862 posts, read 2,715,120 times
Heavens no. Years from now, when they have kids, if you want to buy something for your grandchild that your child played with, do it. But not now. Put that money aside to pay for their weddings or college.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:35 AM

493 posts, read 962,175 times
I would not replace them (the fact that they are replacements diminishes/eliminates the sentimental value), but perhaps you could gather pictures from their childhoods and make photo books/scrapbooks for them instead.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:15 AM

22,521 posts, read 28,429,142 times
Absolutely not.

Replacements are not the childhood treasures. If your kids want duplicates, at some point they will buy them. Mostly it is middle aged or older people who go out and buy collectibles of stuff that reminds them of their childhood.

No one wants that stuff when they are at the life stage where they are moving around or renting small dwelling space.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:18 AM

22,521 posts, read 28,429,142 times
I want some of that stuff. I want the little clay disk with my child's handprint made in kindergarten, and the pottery pots that he threw and glazed himself in high school.

He doesn't have any interest in those things.

A substitute child's handprint or a vase that someone else made are not going to be a substitute for those things.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:19 AM

38,401 posts, read 2,900,459 times
No way. I agree with all of the above.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:17 PM

4,130 posts, read 2,447,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I want some of that stuff. I want the little clay disk with my child's handprint made in kindergarten, and the pottery pots that he threw and glazed himself in high school.

He doesn't have any interest in those things.

A substitute child's handprint or a vase that someone else made are not going to be a substitute for those things.
Not what the OP was referring to.

I couldn't care less about that junk and get annoyed when my mom or mother in law tries to dump it at my house.

If you want to provide these things for your kids, first ask. Then you could possibly start to look for replacements when the time comes.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:42 PM

21,012 posts, read 11,633,974 times
Do your kids know these items are gone or do they believe you have them safely tucked away somewhere for when they want them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting