U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2019, 10:02 AM

11,043 posts, read 3,980,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
So people here are probably wondering why I said Jessica is such a bad name. Well here is why, its a blasphemous name, it makes fun of Jesus. Think about it, it starts out with the first three letters, J, e, s, and then continues with its own different letters, so its making a mockery out of it. So that is why Jessica is such a bad name.
Your reasoning is not correct. If you really wanted to start a thread based on that then you should have actually used the name "Jesus" as many people actually name their children that Jessica is NOT a form of Jesus!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 10:03 AM

11,043 posts, read 3,980,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fern View Post
How about the names Christine and Christopher, do those names mock Christ?
My point exactly! This OP is flawed!

Old 06-06-2019, 10:19 AM

26,513 posts, read 62,899,137 times
Name them what you want to. If they do not like the name, they can change it. Changing your name is not hard.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:29 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,746,293 times
Quote:
When you have children you will of course have to name them. When giving names to your children, it should be taken very seriously. You don't want to give your children names that would be bad for them. For instance, you wouldn't want to give your child the name Jessica, to do so would be to do her a great disservice.

ROFL as you reminded me of this old MadTV skit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDYhkZVMTfQ

Seriously, I agree with the poster who mentioned DO not name your child any of the top 20 most popular for the last couple years, nor any that are currently popular due to a celebrity, or TV series or some other silly pop culture related thing. And do not make some cutesy or unconventional spelling.

I've often thought children who are given really stupid names should have the ability to go to not only change their name legally when they are able to, but to also make the stupid adults who named them be given a stupid name that the adults would have to use legally, for the same length of time the child had to live with the stupid name. Karmic retribution.

Old 06-06-2019, 02:30 PM

7,866 posts, read 10,540,715 times
People are influenced by "stars"and all one has to do is view the rags at the checkout in the grocery store to see some of those beauts. North, Apple, Moses, Moon Unit, Brooklyn to name just a few. My growing up next door neighbors, named their 5 boys all names's that had short versions. For example Thomas, -Tom. Yet they were know as their "formal" name. Only one became Bob in college, he said he felt Robert was too stiffly formal. The other 4 still go by their given name.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:34 PM

13,006 posts, read 6,219,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
There's a doctor in my town named Phuoc Huu Pham. Now, I know Phuoc is pronounced "puck" but still I have to snicker every time I drive by.

"Who's your doctor?"

"Phuoc Huu."

"Well, you don't have to get ugly about it; just tell me his name!!!"
Years ago, I came across a woman named "Duck Soon Kwak".

My daughter went to school with a girl named "Bich" (pronounced Bic). One year, the first day of class, the teacher was doing roll call, saw her name and pronounced it as if it were the word *itch. Poor girl. She yelled at the teacher and said it was "Bic".

Old 06-06-2019, 06:41 PM

1,461 posts, read 633,232 times
Quote:
So people here are probably wondering why I said Jessica is such a bad name. Well here is why, its a blasphemous name, it makes fun of Jesus. Think about it, it starts out with the first three letters, J, e, s, and then continues with its own different letters, so its making a mockery out of it. So that is why Jessica is such a bad name.
You really, really, have to be kidding.
First of all, I think that Jessica is an okay name, and is in no way making fun of Jesus, it just shares the same first three letters.
My dad wasn’t religious, but my mother was as Catholic as they come, and if she thought that my dad’s suggestion of Jean-François for me, after his dad, Jean, and his uncle François, detracted from Jesus, as it started J E, she would have used her veto.
My old man would fight any man in the house, but he knew better than to argue with my mother if she said no.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:52 PM

4,690 posts, read 2,540,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Olive is a perfectly fine name.
...unless the last name is Oyl.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:49 PM

21,153 posts, read 11,754,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post

Truth:

One of my classmates in high school was named Jim Sox.

I used to work with someone named Richard Head

Old 06-06-2019, 10:23 PM

4,196 posts, read 3,079,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fern View Post
How about the names Christine and Christopher, do those names mock Christ?

Or the name Christian?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting