Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 10:42 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,988 times

Advertisements

Don't know if it's true, but I once read that at least 20% of the girls born in old England were named either Mary, Elizabeth, Catherine, Victoria or Anne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 05:52 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times
With our first child we accidently gave her a name in the Top 10 at the time. We had no idea it was such a popular name (we didn't know anyone at the time with daughters with the name). We only realized our error when we took her to the playground as a toddler and heard half a dozen parents hollering for their girls with the same name.

When I was preggo with #2 we each came up with a short list of names we liked, then compared them to the SSA list - if the name was in the Top 20, it got chucked out automatically. In the end his first name was in the mid-600s on the list so we felt comfortable that he would not be in a classroom with 2-3 other kids with his same name.

Old 06-09-2019, 05:33 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,148 times
I came across one the other day named "Kynydii". I'm assuming it's an alternative spelling of "Kennedy". Or maybe not.

Old 06-09-2019, 05:59 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I came across one the other day named "Kynydii". I'm assuming it's an alternative spelling of "Kennedy". Or maybe not.
OMG

I really do strive to be non-judgmental about names. But no. Just no.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:54 PM

325 posts, read 207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
When you have children you will of course have to name them. When giving names to your children, it should be taken very seriously. You don't want to give your children names that would be bad for them. For instance, you wouldn't want to give your child the name Jessica, to do so would be to do her a great disservice.

Our immediate and extended family have used names from the Bible for generations. Simple, easy, tried and true.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:45 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralUSHomeowner View Post
Our immediate and extended family have used names from the Bible for generations. Simple, easy, tried and true.
Those are names you'd NEVER want to "customize!"
  • Ezeekyell
  • Gydyon
  • Raffayel
  • Gaybreeel

Old 06-11-2019, 02:03 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,436 times
When choosing a name make sure it's easy to say and spell.

A few things I find annoying with names are when there are two different pronunciations. For example: Lana or Lonn-a The name is spelled Lana, however, there's two different ways to say it. The same thing with the name Tara or Tear-a. Of course, this name is spelled Tara.

Also, the name Lara, it's not Laura. I've heard people named Lara correcting people that their name is Lara and not Laura. Ugh ! How annoying.

People that have names like this spend a great deal of time correcting someone they meet when their name is pronounced incorrectly.

The other thing that is sometimes annoying are nicknames. I met someone named Cathleen and this is the name she went by, not Cathy. She told me that she has to correct a lot people that start calling her Cathy.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:23 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
When choosing a name make sure it's easy to say and spell.

A few things I find annoying with names are when there are two different pronunciations. For example: Lana or Lonn-a The name is spelled Lana, however, there's two different ways to say it. The same thing with the name Tara or Tear-a. Of course, this name is spelled Tara.

Also, the name Lara, it's not Laura. I've heard people named Lara correcting people that their name is Lara and not Laura. Ugh ! How annoying.

People that have names like this spend a great deal of time correcting someone they meet when their name is pronounced incorrectly.

The other thing that is sometimes annoying are nicknames. I met someone named Cathleen and this is the name she went by, not Cathy. She told me that she has to correct a lot people that start calling her Cathy.
Oh, you are so right about that! My friend, Susan, is constantly having to ask people not to call her Sue. I'm the opposite, where it's also true. I have to tell people not to call me Victoria. That's not my name! My name is Vicki.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:20 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Billy Bob Thornton's name is NOT William Robert.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:38 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,672,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Oh, you are so right about that! My friend, Susan, is constantly having to ask people not to call her Sue. I'm the opposite, where it's also true. I have to tell people not to call me Victoria. That's not my name! My name is Vicki.
That would be annoying.

When I meet someone I listen to their name so I pronounce it correctly.
When meeting this Cathleen, I was introduced to her as Cathleen. I wouldn't just start calling her Cathy ?! She commented that she appreciated me calling her Cathleen, I was a bit surprised when she said most people quickly start calling her Cathy ?!

The worst is when meeting someone and I repeat their name and they say it's _______. I still don't know what they said and I'm certainly not going to try pronouncing it again. I just smile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting