U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2019, 07:51 AM

1,644 posts, read 774,364 times

Advertisements

My parents were going to name me after the first thing they saw outside after I was born, but decided "Two Dogs Humping" wasn't appropriate. I'll show myself out.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 09:41 AM

16,587 posts, read 14,060,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Don't name your child after body parts, fruits or vegetables. Don't throw Scrabble tiles in the air and whatever falls that's what you name your child. Ditto for a dartboard and a map. Give them a good upstanding name that never goes out of vogue and that he/she will not be embarrassed about. Make sure it goes well with your last name and the initials don't spell something weird. If there is one syllable in your last name go with a 2 or 3 syllable first name. Example: Jack Frost vs. Jackson Frost, Ann Banks vs. Annie Banks. No cutesy names like Mandy that sound fine for a child but not so fine for a 50 year old woman. Don't name your child after Game of Thrones or other movie characters if it is a strange name that they will have to explain forever.
Olive is a perfectly fine name.

Old 06-01-2019, 09:45 AM

56,000 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
My parents were going to name me after the first thing they saw outside after I was born, but decided "Two Dogs Humping" wasn't appropriate. I'll show myself out.
Old joke!

I named my daughter after my mother-in-law, who died when I was eight months pregnant. It's a nice, old-fashioned name, but not an old-lady name. She was the only one in her school, which was infested with Ashleys, Jessicas, and Caitlyns of various spellings. Not bad names, but just all very popular in the early 90s.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:59 PM

217 posts, read 70,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
My only naming advice is to check the top 20 names used in the last year from the latest census info, and choose a name not in that top 20 group.

Why do I advise this? Mine was a name commonly used for over a decade. There were always multiples of my name in my classes and later in the workplace. It would have been nice to have had a more unique name.
Same here—it seems about 1/4 of women born in the 1940’s have my first and middle name. Last week in a doctor’s office, they called the first name and 3 of us got up. Unfortunately my husband insisted on a very common name for our younger son. He’s surrounded by others with the same name. He and his wife did a great job with their kids— not over-used, easy to pronounce and spell names.

Old 06-01-2019, 03:47 PM

3,529 posts, read 1,344,614 times
Sydney123....
our nephew's nick-names for his twins are Thing One and Thing Two.

naming stories within our friends/family:

1. my MIL was a nurse at Emory in Atlanta, which, in those days, was known as the "charity hospital".
she was in ER, but the baby names circulated from the birthing ward. the one that shocked me was
Ministration. the mother wanted him to be a preacher.

2. my best college buddy and his wife named their daughter Cera, since they knew that their relatives
would pronounce Sarah as Say-Rah. they hated that. then they named their son: Marc. as in:"mark".

3. my favorite college professor had a maid named: Crepe de Chine Degraffenried.

4. my two maiden aunts were named after old-timey flour Brands: Sally Fine and Elsie Van.

5. finally, in 1989 (i think) every boy child christened in our church was named Michael.

Old 06-01-2019, 04:20 PM

21,152 posts, read 11,754,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Olive is a perfectly fine name.
Along with Rosemary, Sage, Ginger, Saffron (more common in the UK, admittedly), Basil, Jasmine. I'm sure there are plenty more, those are some I could think of offhand.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:31 PM

2,292 posts, read 2,675,344 times
I would like to know what's wrong with the name Jessica. That's what I named my daughter and she loves her name and so do I. My niece named her daughter Sloane - I really like that name, too. I also like the name Taylor for a girl.

My mother had a friend who named her daughter "Lady Mary." I think that's absolutely bizarre!

Old 06-01-2019, 06:11 PM

86,980 posts, read 102,527,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I would like to know what's wrong with the name Jessica. That's what I named my daughter and she loves her name and so do I. My niece named her daughter Sloane - I really like that name, too. I also like the name Taylor for a girl.

My mother had a friend who named her daughter "Lady Mary." I think that's absolutely bizarre!
Other than the fact that there are a lot of Jessicas, nothing is wrong with the name. My daughter's friend Jessica wanted to change her name to "Joyceica" (sp?) because there were too many Jessicas in their class. This was a group of kids born in 1984.

Old 06-01-2019, 06:30 PM

20,410 posts, read 37,788,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Other than the fact that there are a lot of Jessicas, nothing is wrong with the name. My daughter's friend Jessica wanted to change her name to "Joyceica" (sp?) because there were too many Jessicas in their class. This was a group of kids born in 1984.

When I was pregnant with our daughter, we had her name picked out. It had been picked out before we even married. But she had other ideas, and she insisted, in the womb, that her name was Jessica, NOT Katherine. At that point, I had not heard the name Jessica used for a girl in donkey's years.

She was born in January 1984. That year, Jessica was one of the most popular names for a girl. I have no idea why, but apparently it was in the air.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:15 PM

3,529 posts, read 1,344,614 times
emm74...our vet's puppy and my Father are named Basil.
the puppy is female and named for their favorite herb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting