U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2019, 07:28 PM

6,463 posts, read 4,063,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
When I was pregnant with our daughter, we had her name picked out. It had been picked out before we even married. But she had other ideas, and she insisted, in the womb, that her name was Jessica, NOT Katherine. At that point, I had not heard the name Jessica used for a girl in donkey's years.

She was born in January 1984. That year, Jessica was one of the most popular names for a girl. I have no idea why, but apparently it was in the air.
https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/babyname.cgi is a fascinating site for anyone interested in naming in the US. The popularity ranking data for Jessica (in part) is:

1972 46
1973 34
1974 17
1975 13
1976 8
1977 4
1978 3
1979 4
1980 3
1981 2

Jessica then was either #1 or #2 for the next sixteen years. But there were plenty of them around before 1984; you just weren't aware of it. You probably hadn't been around many babies and little children before your daughter was born. This is very common.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 08:32 PM

21,153 posts, read 11,754,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
emm74...our vet's puppy and my Father are named Basil.
the puppy is female and named for their favorite herb.
How does your father feel about a female puppy sharing his name? That's kind of funny! I was thinking Basil Fawlty, myself, although I'm also old enough to remember Brenda Starr and Basil St. John.

Old 06-02-2019, 01:05 AM

10,511 posts, read 8,751,470 times
Have at it. "A rose by any other name....". I have sons, Wyeth Baillie and Ewan Mackintosh (first and middle names). They are doing just fine.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:13 AM

4,923 posts, read 2,272,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I would like to know what's wrong with the name Jessica. That's what I named my daughter and she loves her name and so do I. My niece named her daughter Sloane - I really like that name, too. I also like the name Taylor for a girl.

My mother had a friend who named her daughter "Lady Mary." I think that's absolutely bizarre!
Yeah, I asked the OP the same thing back on page 1. No answer.

I named my first daughter Jessica in 1994, her twin brother was named Jacob.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:55 AM

13,006 posts, read 6,219,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
My only naming advice is to check the top 20 names used in the last year from the latest census info, and choose a name not in that top 20 group.

Why do I advise this? Mine was a name commonly used for over a decade. There were always multiples of my name in my classes and later in the workplace. It would have been nice to have had a more unique name.
^^^^This.

I was given one of the popular girls names at the time. It was no fun---especially when I got to college. It got to the point where I would hear my first name get called out and unless I recognized the voice, I wouldn't answer. Of course that didn't always work. Occasionally, I would have someone annoyed with me for not answering. All I could do is apologize and explain myself. However, if the person didn't have one of the popular names, they never could understand.

There's another disadvantage of having a popular name --- As you go through life, when people hear your name, they have a good idea as to your age.

When our daughter was born, we were sure to give her a name that was different but not weird. I looked up the name to see where it ranked in terms of popularity and it came up in the high 50s on the list. It worked out well for her as she went through life. No one else in her classes had the name. People would tell us, as well as her, that they thought the name was pretty. More than one woman had commented to either us or our daughter that she was now considering using the name for her daughter. The only problem? Even though we gave her the most common spelling of her name, there were people who would screw up the spelling. Heck, even with my common name, there have been people who screw up the spelling

Old 06-02-2019, 03:39 AM

2,591 posts, read 1,285,283 times
Just name your kid Spindonna.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:04 AM

10,279 posts, read 4,852,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
Sydney123....
our nephew's nick-names for his twins are Thing One and Thing Two.

my favorite college professor had a maid named: Crepe de Chine Degraffenried.
Crepe de Chine was the perfume my mother wore for years and years until they stopped making it.

My first name seems to be making a slight comeback after rarely seeing it in anyone under 60. I've never liked it and my mother didn't give me a middle name so I had nothing to use instead. I heard endless jokes about it from complete strangers when they would meet me.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:14 AM

6,535 posts, read 7,791,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
When you have children you will of course have to name them. When giving names to your children, it should be taken very seriously. You don't want to give your children names that would be bad for them. For instance, you wouldn't want to give your child the name Jessica, to do so would be to do her a great disservice.
To all the Jessicas out there--sorry for laughing, but this is one of the funniest posts ever on some many different levels.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:43 AM

71 posts, read 21,054 times
I am surprised no one has named their child Godzilla.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:07 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,057,100 times
In looking at local obits, I found a deceased woman named Royal Highness Lastname.

But back to the topic at hand, please stop with the "Yooneek" spellings of common names. Your poor child will be going through life saying "It's John spelled J-H-O-N" or "Lauryn with a Y instead of a E". Let your kids discover for themselves what is unique about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting