U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 05:32 AM

718 posts, read 633,570 times

Advertisements

And please don't give your children ghetto names. I see this all the time among black parents, giving their children names that end in -isha, -rius, naming their kids exotic sounding names that they can't pronounce, but get upset when folks mispronounce their name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 07:41 AM

12,245 posts, read 17,982,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
And please don't give your children ghetto names. I see this all the time among black parents, giving their children names that end in -isha, -rius, naming their kids exotic sounding names that they can't pronounce, but get upset when folks mispronounce their name.
I wonder what that comes from.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:13 AM

9,519 posts, read 13,433,244 times
I like the name Jessica, OP. Not sure what's wrong with that.

The worst names are the ones that are like super hard to pronounce or just ridiculous (ex ABCDE … this is real, pronounced Ab-sitty) OR if your last name is Davidson, you shouldn't name your kid David

Old 06-03-2019, 11:23 AM

3,868 posts, read 1,644,470 times
I knew a woman in Hawaii who named all her kids in honor of the beloved singer Iz. Izabel, Izzac, Izrael, Izaiah...

Neighbors named their child after themselves--Jackissa, for dad Jack and mom Melissa. It was a boy, poor kid. He goes by Jay.

Then there were the famed Texas heiresses Ima Hogg and Ura Hogg.

Sometimes parents fall in love with an idea for a name and don't think about the consequences to the kid.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:37 AM

21,149 posts, read 11,754,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Then there were the famed Texas heiresses Ima Hogg and Ura Hogg.

Sometimes parents fall in love with an idea for a name and don't think about the consequences to the kid.
Ima Hogg was an actual person. Ura Hogg is an urban legend, Ima Hogg had no sisters.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:56 AM

3,193 posts, read 1,904,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I knew a woman in Hawaii who named all her kids in honor of the beloved singer Iz. Izabel, Izzac, Izrael, Izaiah...

Neighbors named their child after themselves--Jackissa, for dad Jack and mom Melissa. It was a boy, poor kid. He goes by Jay.
Seems like Melak would have been a better choice than Jackissa -- what a horrible name, especially for a boy.

My oldest is Ethan. I had loved that name for 30 years by the time he was born. I had always known that if I had a son, I wanted to name him Ethan, and the name stayed common enough but not extremely popular. Then, all of a sudden, in the few years before he was born, the name shot up in popularity and I think it even reached #1 the year he was born, and has remained popular since (although I think it's falling now). But I was pissed. Oddly enough, he never had another Ethan in his preschool or elementary school classes, and he's encountered only a few other Ethans in middle school and high school. Nowhere near as many as I would have expected given how popular the name became right around the year he was born.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:31 PM

86,978 posts, read 102,527,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Seems like Melak would have been a better choice than Jackissa -- what a horrible name, especially for a boy.

My oldest is Ethan. I had loved that name for 30 years by the time he was born. I had always known that if I had a son, I wanted to name him Ethan, and the name stayed common enough but not extremely popular. Then, all of a sudden, in the few years before he was born, the name shot up in popularity and I think it even reached #1 the year he was born, and has remained popular since (although I think it's falling now). But I was pissed. Oddly enough, he never had another Ethan in his preschool or elementary school classes, and he's encountered only a few other Ethans in middle school and high school. Nowhere near as many as I would have expected given how popular the name became right around the year he was born.
Since 2000, the highest Ethan has ever been in #2 in 2009 and 2010.
https://www.babycenter.com/baby-names-ethan-1610.htm

Old 06-03-2019, 01:06 PM

1,827 posts, read 738,468 times
Some names are attached to certain personality characteristics. Jessica, Brianna, and Kelly sound like spoiled brats. Logan sounds like a stereotypical high school jock. Aidan sounds like a wuss.

I personally like traditional names like Andrew and James, but my spouse liked modern names. Since he disliked every name I suggested, he chose are children's names.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:45 PM

Jessica is a simple name, it's a nice name to me.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I wonder what that comes from.
Laziness. Some parents who give their children crazy sounding names do so under the guise of trying to be "creative" or "unique".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting