U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 03:08 PM

6,351 posts, read 2,280,949 times

Advertisements

My name isn't the most common name...although if you heard it, it's not like a made up name. I remember in first grade, the teacher going around asking all the kids their names. My last name is fairly close to the beginning of the alphabet so my turn came up, and I told the teacher my first name.

At some point AFTER my turn, she asked the rest of the students what they WANTED to be called by. I remember thinking "Wait...I could've picked a different name? I could've said I wanted to be called something different?" It took me awhile (longer than I want to admit) to realize she meant like; Did Susan want to be known as Sue or Suzie, or did Robert want to be called Rob, Bob or Bobby, etc.

Anyway, I always wished I had a nickname...but my birth name doesn't lend itself to nicknames.

Kids. Always wanting what they can't have. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 03:12 PM

3,882 posts, read 3,555,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Logan sounds like a stereotypical high school jock.

My son's college roommate freshman year was named Logan.

The college had a program whereby students could earn cash by shepherding a prospective student around, and have the prospective student sleep in their dorm room (presumably in a sleeping bag). My son was given a prospective student named Logan, but when that Logan turned out to be a girl he lost the gig and never earned the cash. So Logan can be anyone but most Logans I've met are boys.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:13 PM

3,356 posts, read 2,680,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
Sydney123....
our nephew's nick-names for his twins are Thing One and Thing Two.

naming stories within our friends/family:

1. my MIL was a nurse at Emory in Atlanta, which, in those days, was known as the "charity hospital".
she was in ER, but the baby names circulated from the birthing ward. the one that shocked me was
Ministration. the mother wanted him to be a preacher.

2. my best college buddy and his wife named their daughter Cera, since they knew that their relatives
would pronounce Sarah as Say-Rah. they hated that. then they named their son: Marc. as in:"mark".

3. my favorite college professor had a maid named: Crepe de Chine Degraffenried.

4. my two maiden aunts were named after old-timey flour Brands: Sally Fine and Elsie Van.

5. finally, in 1989 (i think) every boy child christened in our church was named Michael.
Not to be confused with Menstruation.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:51 PM

10,992 posts, read 17,484,974 times
Jessica as a name was certainly overexposed in my generation - every class had one or two. And that includes Texas. https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/state/top5_1980.html

Old 06-03-2019, 05:29 PM

3,162 posts, read 1,198,275 times
here's a good one from the football team from Wake Forest University....

remember the old joke about naming sons after their favorite foods?
Orangejello and Lemonjello have met their real-life match: Gelo Orange.

https://godeacs.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1699

Old 06-03-2019, 11:43 PM

4,193 posts, read 3,060,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
But back to the topic at hand, please stop with the "Yooneek" spellings of common names. Your poor child will be going through life saying "It's John spelled J-H-O-N" or "Lauryn with a Y instead of a E". Let your kids discover for themselves what is unique about them.
This, x100. It's not cute, and it's not clever. Just stop it already.

edit: I don't care for a couple of trends I've noticed in the last couple of decades: taking what have traditionally been last names and assigning them as first names, and giving boy names to girls and vice-versa.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:22 AM

7,089 posts, read 4,033,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
But back to the topic at hand, please stop with the "Yooneek" spellings of common names. Your poor child will be going through life saying "It's John spelled J-H-O-N" or "Lauryn with a Y instead of a E". Let your kids discover for themselves what is unique about them.
I go through life having my name misspelled all the time. Even when I spell it out for someone.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:38 AM

2,588 posts, read 1,268,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
This, x100. It's not cute, and it's not clever. Just stop it already.

edit: I don't care for a couple of trends I've noticed in the last couple of decades: taking what have traditionally been last names and assigning them as first names, and giving boy names to girls and vice-versa.
How about those who assign a former last name to fit either a boy or a girl AND was a former President?

Madison! Reagan! Carter!

Old 06-04-2019, 02:06 AM

644 posts, read 142,532 times
My only contribution here is to say that if you decide to burden your child with what you think is a name that is really *different*, *special*, or *unique*, teach them to fight as soon as they can stand up. Voice of experience.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:52 AM

2,588 posts, read 1,268,068 times
Before saddling your kid with an unusual spelling of a common name, show the name to ten friends and ask them to pronounce it.

If less than half say it the way it sounds in your head, spell it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting