Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 01:10 PM

276 posts, read 204,018 times

Advertisements

When you have children you will of course have to name them. When giving names to your children, it should be taken very seriously. You don't want to give your children names that would be bad for them. For instance, you wouldn't want to give your child the name Jessica, to do so would be to do her a great disservice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 01:52 PM

577 posts, read 493,472 times
HUH ? Jessica is a nice female name IMO, as I know several Jessica's and they are nice ladies.

Now I can see if a child has the last name Davidson, their first name should not be Harley. But just in case this OP is legit, I will say this about naming children, as I have lived long enough to learn this one...

Please do not name your children with like sounding names. Tim and Jim, Ken and Kim, Larry and Barry, Tara and Kara, on and on.

Because whenever in a situation of a loud room, or hearing from a distance, these names when not pronounced clearly and the first letter is not emphasized...they are tough to differentiate sometimes. At least for those with no longer perfect hearing. JMO

Old 05-31-2019, 02:13 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
My only naming advice is to check the top 20 names used in the last year from the latest census info, and choose a name not in that top 20 group.

Why do I advise this? Mine was a name commonly used for over a decade. There were always multiples of my name in my classes and later in the workplace. It would have been nice to have had a more unique name.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:14 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,815 times
Remember, when you're naming your child, you're not naming a cute little baby. You're naming a 30 year old in a job interview.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:21 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,954,275 times
My parents were going to name my twin brother and I ... “Oops†and “Oh S***â€. We were a surprise!

Old 05-31-2019, 03:12 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,308,750 times
I know it's up to the parents, but even though it might sound cute and different to you, the child is the one who has to live with it for the rest of their life. There is a difference between something unique and something silly.

My mother wanted to name me a certain unique name that was silly and I'm so thankful that my dad put his foot down.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:05 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Remember, when you're naming your child, you're not naming a cute little baby. You're naming a 30 year old in a job interview.
This! Don't give some cutesy name interviewers will laugh at.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:53 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,095,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
When you have children you will of course have to name them. When giving names to your children, it should be taken very seriously. You don't want to give your children names that would be bad for them. For instance, you wouldn't want to give your child the name Jessica, to do so would be to do her a great disservice.
What do you have against the name Jessica?

Old 06-01-2019, 06:03 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times
Don't name your child after body parts, fruits or vegetables. Don't throw Scrabble tiles in the air and whatever falls that's what you name your child. Ditto for a dartboard and a map. Give them a good upstanding name that never goes out of vogue and that he/she will not be embarrassed about. Make sure it goes well with your last name and the initials don't spell something weird. If there is one syllable in your last name go with a 2 or 3 syllable first name. Example: Jack Frost vs. Jackson Frost, Ann Banks vs. Annie Banks. No cutesy names like Mandy that sound fine for a child but not so fine for a 50 year old woman. Don't name your child after Game of Thrones or other movie characters if it is a strange name that they will have to explain forever.

Old 06-01-2019, 06:19 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,704,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
We gave our three children names that weren't overly common, but also weren't unusual. One of those names has since become very popular, however.

There is a lot more name diversity today than in days past. A hundred years ago, 1 in 18 girls was named Mary, almost 6%. Today, only Emma barely breaks 1%. A hundred years ago, the top 7 boy names accounted for more than a quarter of all boy's names. Today, the top 20 names for boys comprise less than 13% of all boys born.

See for yourself:
https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/

There's a lot less enforced social conformity when it comes to naming today. My wife is an elementary school teacher and I see the parade of names that come through her classes. Names aren't a problem.The kids don't care - until they're taught to care by busybody adults who think it's their business what someone else's name is (and who usually try to cloak their self-absorption in 'concern for the children').
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting