Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 04:03 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,281,211 times

Advertisements

Scroll down to see The Worst Spellings of Common Names.

Ylyzybyth: "Mom, why did you give me such an unusual name?"

Mom: "I wanted you to stand out. To show you're unique. To separate you from the ordinary."

Ylyzybyth: "Well thanks, Mom, mission accomplished."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 04:26 AM

And please! Don't break the rules of the English Language. I heard of a girl named Alic-an. (Alice Ann.)

Went through middle school as Alley Can.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:51 AM

898 posts, read 592,412 times
I had a coworker who's wife had a son.... They apparently named him Tristan What. Every time he told some of his son, the other person would say "what's his name?" "Tristan" other person always responded "What?" . Guy was not amused....

My niece named her kids Keely, Armani, and the latest is Luna. Future jobs are probably cashier, male hair stylist, stripper. They all have different last names but most of the fathers go by Convict. True story. You name a female cat Luna. Not your kid.

My sister got caught up in the Madison trend. I think when my niece's teacher asks for Madison, 4 or 5 raise their hand.

My kids have boring Irish names. Bridget Mary and Allison Katherine. One is manager of a college call center. One is a manager at a hotel for a major hotel company. Wife's two kids are David and Rachel. Wife is Stacey. NOT Stacy or Stacie, and never call her Stace. I go by Jim, but my dad and my two living sisters call me Jimmy.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:17 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,015,426 times
Being from the south, everyone I know has a last name for a first name, a mother or grandmother's maiden name.

And all the thirds, as in James John Smith III is Trey or Trip.

I was shocked the first time I met a Trey who wasn't the third.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:48 PM

224 posts, read 374,984 times
My wife and I gave our daughter a carefully chosen name. It is classic, simple, difficult to misspell or mispronounce, free of any negative connotations that we know of and continues a family naming tradition. We were happy with the choice and pretty pleased with ourselves for coming up with it.

As soon as she was out of the house our daughter (grown into a decisive and strong-willed adult) changed her name to the one she wanted for herself. It is contemporary, simple, impossible to misspell or mispronounce, has only positive connotations as far as we know and might just start a new family naming tradition. We are happy with her choice and pretty pleased that she is her own person. Everyone is happy.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:27 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,393,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
When you have children you will of course have to name them. When giving names to your children, it should be taken very seriously. You don't want to give your children names that would be bad for them. For instance, you wouldn't want to give your child the name Jessica, to do so would be to do her a great disservice.
I wouldn't want to give my (future) children any name that they would have to spell out for someone.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:26 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,134,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
How about those who assign a former last name to fit either a boy or a girl AND was a former President?

Madison! Reagan! Carter!

Yep, that's what I'm talking about. Lincoln & Jackson, too.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:33 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,134,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post

My niece named her kids Keely, Armani, and the latest is Luna. Future jobs are probably cashier, male hair stylist, stripper. They all have different last names but most of the fathers go by Convict. True story. You name a female cat Luna. Not your kid.

I don't understand people who name an animal Luna. Maybe they haven't had much exposure to Hispanic culture where Luna is a last name?

As far as naming your kid Armani, Lexus, Porsche, or any other brand name associated with luxury goods? Oh I won't even go down that road...

Old 06-04-2019, 07:30 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,526,496 times
How 'bout "PepsiCo???"

Old 06-04-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Yep, that's what I'm talking about. Lincoln & Jackson, too.
Might as well include Taylor, Monroe, Harrison, Tyler, Kennedy and Wilson!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting