U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 11:56 PM

1 posts, read 307 times

Advertisements

my son is 2 times wealth words champion, My son is not particularly athletic but said he does kind of miss playing soccer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 01:25 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,659,792 times
I've managed to mostly avoid the whole frenzy about kids' sports, for one simple reason: I, myself, couldn't hope to care less about sports. I've never played them (except for bowling), I've never liked them (again except for bowling, and the very occasional attendance at a baseball game), and I've never had the least bit of desire to live my life vicariously through whatever sports accomplishments my kids might have. So, my kids get no pressure from me to participate. Quite the opposite, actually. I've never pushed any sports on them. If they want to play, fine. If they don't, also fine. But they only get to play the sports that they've expressed an interest in playing; I'm certainly not going to force them into any.

My rules for my kids are (1) no football (risk of injury too great); (2) only one sport at a time, per kid; and (3) absolutely no travel teams at all, ever. No way am I going to blow thousands of dollars and multiple hours per week of my life, just to enslave myself to someone's sports schedule. Nope, not happening. My son asked me about being on a travel team, and I flat-out said no. I told him that when he's an adult, he can choose to spend his free time however he wishes; but no way am I spending mine carting him around from one out-of-town game to another.

Both of my kids have settled on the same two sports: basketball and soccer. The only "travel" involved is to different courts/fields within my county. We do a Christian-based league for basketball (November through February) and a local rec league for soccer (April through June). And that's it. If they ever want to try anything else, I'd be OK with it, as long as it met the three rules I listed above.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:23 AM

7,746 posts, read 9,050,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I've managed to mostly avoid the whole frenzy about kids' sports, for one simple reason: I, myself, couldn't hope to care less about sports. I've never played them (except for bowling), I've never liked them (again except for bowling, and the very occasional attendance at a baseball game), and I've never had the least bit of desire to live my life vicariously through whatever sports accomplishments my kids might have. So, my kids get no pressure from me to participate. Quite the opposite, actually. I've never pushed any sports on them. If they want to play, fine. If they don't, also fine. But they only get to play the sports that they've expressed an interest in playing; I'm certainly not going to force them into any.

My rules for my kids are (1) no football (risk of injury too great); (2) only one sport at a time, per kid; and (3) absolutely no travel teams at all, ever. No way am I going to blow thousands of dollars and multiple hours per week of my life, just to enslave myself to someone's sports schedule. Nope, not happening. My son asked me about being on a travel team, and I flat-out said no. I told him that when he's an adult, he can choose to spend his free time however he wishes; but no way am I spending mine carting him around from one out-of-town game to another.

Both of my kids have settled on the same two sports: basketball and soccer. The only "travel" involved is to different courts/fields within my county. We do a Christian-based league for basketball (November through February) and a local rec league for soccer (April through June). And that's it. If they ever want to try anything else, I'd be OK with it, as long as it met the three rules I listed above.
Any more it seems like people think you're a bad parent for not carting your kids around. Quite the opposite I think.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:52 AM

5,175 posts, read 6,369,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Any more it seems like people think you're a bad parent for not carting your kids around. Quite the opposite I think.
Yes and no, many people have long commutes and/or work long hours. It can be very difficult for single parents to work and get their children to practices and games. On the other hand, bus man didn't really explain a good reason why, when his son asked him about being on a travel team, he flat-out said no. From everything he wrote, it sounds like pure selfishness.

If you're going to bring children into the world, you have certain responsibilities. First is providing for their well-being, which means supporting them financially. If you have to put your career before your children's sports, then that is what you have to do. Next you have to support their growth academically. This means reading to them at an early age, encouraging them to read on their own, and helping with homework once the attend school. Beyond that, parents have an obligation to encourage their children to be healthy and self confident. What better way than sports to do that? I see too many kids who have never been encouraged or had the opportunity to participate in sports. It is also a good opportunity to spend time with your child. You don't have to be a star athlete to play catch, kick around a soccer ball, teach your child to shoot a basketball, or teach them to swim. I've seen moms bring their son or daughter to the local Y and try to teach them how to play basketball. It is obvious the mom knows nothing about basketball, but she is doing what she can to encourage them. Sometimes kids need a push, especially when they lack self-confidence and think other kids are better than them.

With kid's sports today, you have to be involved at an early age. You can't wait until a child is 14-15 and have them get involved in basketball, soccer, baseball, softball, etc. since other kids have been playing competitively since they were 5-6 years old in some sports.

And to bus man, you don't have to spend thousands of dollars on a travel team. My one daughter played on an AAU basketball team that cost around $350 a year. My other daughter played on an AAU basketball team that sponsored a tournament where the parents volunteered their time. This raised enough money to fund the team each year.

Just because some people feel a need to put their child on an elite team that travels to tournaments hundreds or thousands of miles away, it is not necessary. It is simply a matter of giving your children an opportunity to see if this sport is something they are good at and want to continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

Old 07-11-2019, 03:26 PM

7,746 posts, read 9,050,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Yes and no, many people have long commutes and/or work long hours. It can be very difficult for single parents to work and get their children to practices and games. On the other hand, bus man didn't really explain a good reason why, when his son asked him about being on a travel team, he flat-out said no. From everything he wrote, it sounds like pure selfishness.

If you're going to bring children into the world, you have certain responsibilities. First is providing for their well-being, which means supporting them financially. If you have to put your career before your children's sports, then that is what you have to do. Next you have to support their growth academically. This means reading to them at an early age, encouraging them to read on their own, and helping with homework once the attend school. Beyond that, parents have an obligation to encourage their children to be healthy and self confident. What better way than sports to do that? I see too many kids who have never been encouraged or had the opportunity to participate in sports. It is also a good opportunity to spend time with your child. You don't have to be a star athlete to play catch, kick around a soccer ball, teach your child to shoot a basketball, or teach them to swim. I've seen moms bring their son or daughter to the local Y and try to teach them how to play basketball. It is obvious the mom knows nothing about basketball, but she is doing what she can to encourage them. Sometimes kids need a push, especially when they lack self-confidence and think other kids are better than them.

With kid's sports today, you have to be involved at an early age. You can't wait until a child is 14-15 and have them get involved in basketball, soccer, baseball, softball, etc. since other kids have been playing competitively since they were 5-6 years old in some sports.

And to bus man, you don't have to spend thousands of dollars on a travel team. My one daughter played on an AAU basketball team that cost around $350 a year. My other daughter played on an AAU basketball team that sponsored a tournament where the parents volunteered their time. This raised enough money to fund the team each year.

Just because some people feel a need to put their child on an elite team that travels to tournaments hundreds or thousands of miles away, it is not necessary. It is simply a matter of giving your children an opportunity to see if this sport is something they are good at and want to continue.
Bus man gave a very clear reason. You sound like one of those martyr parents that has to sacrifice everything for your children because you think it makes you a bad parent. Parents are NOT obligated to cater to their children like that. Those kids who weren't catered to learn the world doesn't revolve around them.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:44 PM

12,273 posts, read 9,910,942 times
Quote:

There are SOOOOOO many opportunities besides just sports.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:14 PM

6,408 posts, read 3,592,574 times
Both my daughters played multiple sports growing up; from soccer to softball to ice hockey, when girls did not play that. While she did not get a scholarship for it, it did get her into a college she probably would not have otherwise. Today as adults they are still interested and one daughter still plays pick up hockey with MEN.

Grandson doesn't seem interested in sports despite his Mom's trying. He likes music, dance, and cooking. Hey, whatever floats your boat. Encourage him in what he likes to do.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:26 PM

5,175 posts, read 6,369,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Bus man gave a very clear reason. You sound like one of those martyr parents that has to sacrifice everything for your children because you think it makes you a bad parent. Parents are NOT obligated to cater to their children like that. Those kids who weren't catered to learn the world doesn't revolve around them.
As far as sacrificing everything, my wife and I spent minimal money on our three children's sports. My wife was a firm believer they should be exposed and involved with a lot of different activities. These included band, church, art classes, going to the library, swimming lessons, dance, Indiana Guides, and Scouts. We encouraged them to get involved in sports and would sign them up when they were in the early grades. I worked with them on individual skills in basketball, soccer, baseball, and softball. As I had never played soccer, my instruction was limited in that sport.

My wife and I encouraged our children, gave them a push to be involved, and worked with them on skills. We have seen too many examples of children where the parents do not play an active role. They kids spend their time playing video games for hours a day. Many are obese by high school because they have never got any exercise in their life.

Is this catering to your children? I don't think so. I think it is part of being a good parent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
There are SOOOOOO many opportunities besides just sports.
Sure there are so many opportunities besides sports but this thread is about sports. I wasn't discouraging any activities where you are involved with your children. But I do believe parents should encourage their children to be involved in some type of athletic activities for their health.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:50 PM

4,281 posts, read 1,581,982 times
Quote:

Not necessarily. My youngest nephew didn't do track & field until he was in high school; now he's a Conference/Sectional Champion and ranked in the Top 10 in NY State for both indoor and outdoor shot put. He also holds the school record for pentathlon.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:19 AM

12,273 posts, read 9,910,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Not necessarily. My youngest nephew didn't do track & field until he was in high school; now he's a Conference/Sectional Champion and ranked in the Top 10 in NY State for both indoor and outdoor shot put. He also holds the school record for pentathlon.
Yah neither of my kids shrunk from sports that they did not start as younguns. Both were successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or