U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 05:40 AM

4,136 posts, read 2,447,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
It has a high risk for concussions.
Less than football and the same as soccer. I don't buy that excuse.

https://completeconcussions.com/2018...t-concussions/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 06:30 AM

12,879 posts, read 15,357,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Is it even possible for a kid to be on a good team if his parent/s aren't able to drive him all over creation every weekend to his games and tournaments?
No, it's not possible.
Unless you're willing to put out BIG dollers, your kids will be like the many others who still play soccer or basketball, or other games on a dead end street, or in a school yard after hours..... where no money is required....and there's nothing wrong with that!

Old 06-05-2019, 08:19 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,189,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Less than football and the same as soccer. I don't buy that excuse.

https://completeconcussions.com/2018...t-concussions/
OK. I was just offering up a thought as to why it might be expensive. Not looking for an argument...

Old 06-05-2019, 08:38 AM

981 posts, read 489,977 times
My kids play sports and sports are so great for kids, but man, the adults can really ruin things. We do travel (for one, Rec for the others) hockey and I donít mind the time and financial commitment because my kids are having fun and we love seeing them have fun. Some of the pressure to play all spring and summer is annoying and weíve mostly avoided it as I donít think itís healthy. My older, more competitive player chooses to skate privately and work with a personal trainer off season and he plays lacrosse for his school. We donít want to risk overuse injuries and he improves more by doing other things. He had what is typically a repetitive use injury one summer when he was still into baseball (little league shoulder) and he wasnít doing anything that would be considered overuse...he wasnít even a pitcher. He just happened to have a huge growth spurt at the same time baseball season started. That really drove it home for all of us.

Some of the parents are really high strung and overly focused on their kids winning, college scholarships, going pro. That can rub off on their kids and make them little jerks to play with. Then you have parents buying spots on elite teams..imagine the behavior of those kids and parents. Then you have overzealous coaches. Iíve seen some crazy stuff. Luckily, our kids have had nice coaches and weíve only had a few of those nutjob parents to deal with..most of the parents have been pretty grounded.

I love sports for kids, but adults really need to check ourselves.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:38 AM

3,942 posts, read 3,240,023 times
Go to an investment calculator and see what happens if you put in 10K a year at the reasonably conservative estimate of a 4% return for 10 years. Better yet, put in only half of that starting when your kid is born until they turn 18. You pay for your kid's college and it doesn't depend on wishing and hoping for a scholarship that you're very unlikely to get and/or might instantly disappear in the case of accident or injury.

Having said that, team and individual sports offer a lot of benefits and I certainly don't begrudge any family who participates. I know a lot of people who compete in competitive travel leagues and they are very happy.

Old 06-05-2019, 04:38 PM

3,227 posts, read 1,212,621 times
from 46H, "Insurance is not a cost issue."
quote:
Pop Warner Little Scholars, which oversees 225,000 youth players, was forced to switch insurers after its longtime carrier, a subsidiary of the insurance giant AIG, refused to provide coverage without an exclusion for any neurological injury.
link:
https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...-colleges-espn

Old 06-06-2019, 05:55 AM

7,666 posts, read 8,955,753 times
Quote:
I have no kids so, I obviously can't understand, but after watching people I know go through the games, practice and tournament thing with multiple kids and the time and travel involved I'm scratching my head at how parents got sold on this being normal and OK. I'm a huge proponent of kids' team sports but I don't understand how it turned into the monster it is now. Do the benefits outweigh the burdens put on the families? Is it even possible for a kid to be on a good team if his parent/s aren't able to drive him all over creation every weekend to his games and tournaments?
I'm also a proponent of sports but I think traveling teams are out of hand. I remember being in college and traveling teams would use our facilities. They would practice on Friday ad Saturday evenings. There was a family I knew whose son was on a traveling baseball team and that's ALL they did. Parents' lives should not revolve around their children like that. I always wonder how many divorces result from that.

I also can't comprehend the cost. If you're driving around staying in motels and going out to eat, just the gas, food, and lodging is not cheap. These are probably $300-$500 weekends. Then I hear parents say they hope for scholarships. WTF? If you put that money into a college savings account the kid could graduate debt free and you're not gambling on a scholarship.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:10 AM

4,136 posts, read 2,447,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
OK. I was just offering up a thought as to why it might be expensive. Not looking for an argument...
I didn't mean you specifically. Sorry about that.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:04 AM

3,411 posts, read 3,198,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Parents do not want their kids to "fall behind" and many parents operate under the delusion that their children will get a college scholarship. Scholarships are pure fantasy. If parents took the money they spent on big time travel programs and all those weekends spent at a some converted cornfield and a Holiday Inn Express, they would be able to pay for a few years of college.

The other fact is that many of these programs are money making operations. Both my kids are decent at soccer, but they only played rec in the fall. However, they both have made their school teams despite not having played travel soccer. I refuse to have them play soccer beyond the fall season. All the travel soccer programs require spring participation in practice and games or you cannot play in the fall. It is silly, but it is a way to justify the fees. This is not unique to soccer as it happens in many youth sports programs. It also causes many kids to get sick of the sport and quit. My kids play lacrosse in the spring (it is not expensive). My oldest also played basketball, rec only and played varsity on his high school team.

Sports are great training for life. It is very similar to a job. The coach may or may not like you for no good reason. You learn how to work with a wide variety of teammates. The most talented teammate might continually forget the plays. You will not always be treated fairly. Sports can teach you how to operate within the framework of a team and how to sacrifice to make the team better. There will be failures, yet you learn to continue to move forward and you will learn the joy of competition and success.

Youth sports are a wonderful thing, but today's version can be over the top.
Do they attend smaller middle or high schools? Our middle school is well over 1200 kids though school sports cannot be played until 7th. The high school is well over 1500 kids. The girl's varsity HS soccer team is made of up of girl's that played travel soccer.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:34 AM

4,173 posts, read 1,537,871 times
Quote:
I have no kids so, I obviously can't understand, but after watching people I know go through the games, practice and tournament thing with multiple kids and the time and travel involved I'm scratching my head at how parents got sold on this being normal and OK. I'm a huge proponent of kids' team sports but I don't understand how it turned into the monster it is now. Do the benefits outweigh the burdens put on the families? Is it even possible for a kid to be on a good team if his parent/s aren't able to drive him all over creation every weekend to his games and tournaments?
My nephews certainly have benefitted from being in sports. My oldest nephew has been a competitive Nordic skier for years, even competing in the National level, Junior Nationals both this year and last year. He had a Top 10 finish in this year's Relay event. He's competed mostly regionally, in upstate NY and Vermont. Junior Nationals were in Utah last year and Alaska this year. He also competed in the Senior Nationals this past January, and attended the World Cup finals in Montreal as a spectator.
He also competed on his high school team and medalled in the State Championship 4 months ago. He ALSO is a State high school Champion in cross country running, a title won last fall. His team was undefeated this year, plus 5hey won Conference and Sectional titles. The only title they didn't win was the NY Federation race, which pits the public school teams against the private schools, because that race was cancelled due to a November snow storm. At both championships he was also awarded the Sportsmanship award, an honor that is bestowed on you by your peers in the Section you represent.

His little brother is a high school Conference and Sectional Champion (both indoor and outdoor track) in Shot put. In fact he is competing for a State Championship today and tomorrow (if he finishes top 10 in today's prelims). He also has played Varsity football for 3 years (won a Sectional championship his freshman year), and used to also compete in skiing.

Sports have been VERY good for these kids. Their school held their sports banquet a few nights ago and they both won several awards.

Last edited by ContraPagan; 06-07-2019 at 06:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or