U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 03:23 AM

3 posts, read 496 times

Advertisements

My son has been playing cbasketball for years and I never thought it was that expensive. We paid ~$2k per year for three seasons of games and tournaments and offseason training
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 03:21 AM

82 posts, read 29,263 times
I say take the sports out of schools and let the government run it separately. Those involved can get taxed for it I suppose. As far as the time it takes to participate, that's to be decided on an individual basis.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:05 AM

7,721 posts, read 9,015,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
You hit the nail on the head. If a child wants to play sports they will be left out if they don't start early and go all-out with club teams. In my time you could start a sport in junior high and actually have a chance to play in high school as a regular player but in most larger metro areas that no longer exists.

I once had this discussion with a club volleyball mom when I lamented the fact that kids who don't play at club level had no shot at the high school team. She said those kids can just play rec sports. While that is true, it's sad that non-club kids never get the chance to be on their high school team. Playing a team sport in high school is a special time of bonding with your school friends. You just don't experience that on a rec team.
In some places it's the other way around. The have nots play on the high school team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I think kids sports has been turned into big business. Instead of it being fun and healthy recreation that teaches good life skills it has turned into an expensive years-long program for a chance at a college sports scholarship. Kids do not know how to do unstructured play anymore in some of these cases. Further, a kid has to pick his passion sport when he's practically in Kindergarten these days to be competitive. No longer can someone decide they might want to try basketball in grade 7 or 9 without having already been playing for years - in many cases it is now too late for those kids - and thus you see a growing divide of the have and have-nots when it comes to child sports. Play early and often at great expense, or not at all is what it is becoming for many kids these days.

While a few thousand a year may not seem like much to some, we have plenty of kids on free/reduced lunch where a few thousand is out of the question - even a few hundred is out of the question. Pay to play creates a big divide.
You hit the nail on the head with the unstructured play. I'll never understand the mentality of paying all this money for a chance at a college scholarship. These weekends the kids play are easily $500 or more with food, gas, and lodging. If you have that kind of money open up a damn college savings account. The kid could graduate debt free or nearly so.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:28 AM

1,244 posts, read 820,042 times
Parents brawl during youth baseball game after disagreeing with 13-year-old umpire. This is absolutely ridiculous. I feel so bad for the kids there playing. And especially the 13-year-old umpire. I hope the people involved get the book thrown at them.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/parents-br...ry?id=63802898

Anyone ever see fights break out or arguments at a youth sports game?

Old 06-19-2019, 09:39 AM

71,911 posts, read 83,551,069 times
Our kids were year round swimmers but i was a stay at home mom mostly. Our son also played football and baseball. It can work, but then I look at my great grand daughters and great grandson and wonder what the heck is going on? My kids started in the world of sports when they were around 6. Our grandkids: here is their lives:

Oldest is 12 she swims competitively
plays the clarinete or however you spell it
she runs cross country

her sister; age 7: swims
does gymnastics

4 year old sister: gymnastics
dance

both parents work full time at pressure jobs but still have to find time for travel when competition requires it, not to mention the hours spent working out each week.

Younger grand daughter:

6 year old son:
T ball
touch football
gymnastics

Little sister,4 : dance
gymnastics
and T ball believe it or not

Granddaughter is a stay at home mom, but still the kids are going different directions and it is time consuming. Even she wonders why she got her little girl in to T ball? To me the kids are way to programmed.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:58 AM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 6 days ago)

9,438 posts, read 3,628,914 times
It shouldn't cost thousands of dollars a year to put together a kid's baseball team. It has turned into a greedy business now. Some places even now, (such as karate schools) require parents to sign a contract to pay for a year and they have to continue paying even if their kid quits the sport. I wish parents would start saying "NO" to these contracts.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Parents brawl during youth baseball game after disagreeing with 13-year-old umpire. This is absolutely ridiculous. I feel so bad for the kids there playing. And especially the 13-year-old umpire. I hope the people involved get the book thrown at them.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/parents-br...ry?id=63802898

Anyone ever see fights break out or arguments at a youth sports game?
One happened in my area recently. This one fight just between the adults, kids weren't involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ian4Qjuq7s&t=125s

Old 06-19-2019, 12:43 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,003,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Our kids were year round swimmers but i was a stay at home mom mostly. Our son also played football and baseball. It can work, but then I look at my great grand daughters and great grandson and wonder what the heck is going on? My kids started in the world of sports when they were around 6. Our grandkids: here is their lives:

Oldest is 12 she swims competitively
plays the clarinete or however you spell it
she runs cross country

her sister; age 7: swims
does gymnastics

4 year old sister: gymnastics
dance

both parents work full time at pressure jobs but still have to find time for travel when competition requires it, not to mention the hours spent working out each week.

Younger grand daughter:

6 year old son:
T ball
touch football
gymnastics

Little sister,4 : dance
gymnastics
and T ball believe it or not

Granddaughter is a stay at home mom, but still the kids are going different directions and it is time consuming. Even she wonders why she got her little girl in to T ball? To me the kids are way to programmed.
My rule when my kids were in school was they can do thing at time. My ex and I both worked full time and there was no way we could have done. But I donít remember any sports being available until middle school/high school anyway.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:58 PM

5,156 posts, read 6,347,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Do they attend smaller middle or high schools? Our middle school is well over 1200 kids though school sports cannot be played until 7th. The high school is well over 1500 kids. The girl's varsity HS soccer team is made of up of girl's that played travel soccer.
My area of Western PA is different. Almost all the schools are smaller today than when I graduated HS in 1973. In addition, there are many more options for sports. I had never heard of lacrosse in high school. Now the local school district has both a boys and girls team. For me, growing up in the 1960s, sports were limited to football, baseball, and basketball. Baseball was really the only sport that boys started at an early age and girls had virtually no options for sports. Kids today in this area have a lot more options to play, if they want to. With smaller schools and more sports, many of the sports have trouble filling out a roster. I see many boys playing football and basketball today who would've been cut in the 1970s. Kids have other options such as hockey, soccer, and lacrosse, which weren't available to us in the 1970s.

A major difference in sports over the past fo or so years is many boys never get involved today. They don't have the opportunity to play backyard or playground pickup games because they don't exist today. In my youth, you went to the playground and played pickup basketball or football. We played kickball or wiffle ball in someone's backyard or in the street. Today, if you don't have someone driving you to games and practices, you probably never get involved in sports. These boys sit in the house and play video games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
You hit the nail on the head with the unstructured play. I'll never understand the mentality of paying all this money for a chance at a college scholarship. These weekends the kids play are easily $500 or more with food, gas, and lodging. If you have that kind of money open up a damn college savings account. The kid could graduate debt free or nearly so.
You're exactly right about the athletic scholarships. Many parents get involved with travel teams tinking there is an scholarship in their child's future when the reality is there are few athletic scholarships available, especially outside of football and basketball. I get a kick out of the small town newspapers in this area who publish photos of some high school athlete who "signs" with some D-III school to play a sport. They didn't sign anything and they are not on a scholarship. I'm not knocking D-III sports, I think they are a great opportunity to continuing playing a sport. The point is parents should research how difficult it is to get an athletic scholarship. As you point out, the money would be better off invested or spent on academic tutoring.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
My rule when my kids were in school was they can do thing at time. My ex and I both worked full time and there was no way we could have done. .
What does this mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or