U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 05:23 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,004,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
What does this mean?
Doing one activity at a time. There is no way we could have had our kids in several activities at the same time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 06:46 PM

146 posts, read 25,490 times
Default Re

I havenít read this whole thread but I do wonder when young kids started playing 2 sports in one season. My newpjew seems to play every sport there is and heís 10. I was suprised that he plays both lacrosse and baseball in the spring. Someone told me now is the time for them to decide what they like. His parents both have busy full time jobs then their evenings are filled with practices and games all weekend. I have to say it doesnít sound fun to me. Call me selfish but Iíd like some time to do what I want, something that doesnít involve driving around to games. They say the years are fast but is it really healthy for the kids? Could be a lot of pressure.

My kids are 3 and 5 so Iím not quite there yet.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:04 AM

7,735 posts, read 9,027,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
It shouldn't cost thousands of dollars a year to put together a kid's baseball team. It has turned into a greedy business now. Some places even now, (such as karate schools) require parents to sign a contract to pay for a year and they have to continue paying even if their kid quits the sport. I wish parents would start saying "NO" to these contracts.
The word no isn't in a lot of parents' vocabulary these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Our kids were year round swimmers but i was a stay at home mom mostly. Our son also played football and baseball. It can work, but then I look at my great grand daughters and great grandson and wonder what the heck is going on? My kids started in the world of sports when they were around 6. Our grandkids: here is their lives:

Oldest is 12 she swims competitively
plays the clarinete or however you spell it
she runs cross country

her sister; age 7: swims
does gymnastics

4 year old sister: gymnastics
dance

both parents work full time at pressure jobs but still have to find time for travel when competition requires it, not to mention the hours spent working out each week.

Younger grand daughter:

6 year old son:
T ball
touch football
gymnastics

Little sister,4 : dance
gymnastics
and T ball believe it or not

Granddaughter is a stay at home mom, but still the kids are going different directions and it is time consuming. Even she wonders why she got her little girl in to T ball? To me the kids are way to programmed.
Parents these days over schedule their kids to an extreme nowadays. Then they like to wine about being busy and having no money.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:43 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,004,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I havenít read this whole thread but I do wonder when young kids started playing 2 sports in one season. My newpjew seems to play every sport there is and heís 10. I was suprised that he plays both lacrosse and baseball in the spring. Someone told me now is the time for them to decide what they like. His parents both have busy full time jobs then their evenings are filled with practices and games all weekend. I have to say it doesnít sound fun to me. Call me selfish but Iíd like some time to do what I want, something that doesnít involve driving around to games. They say the years are fast but is it really healthy for the kids? Could be a lot of pressure.

I'm suprised the coaches allow this. I don't understand why kids can't just be kids. They don't need a passion and it shouldn't be facilitied by mom and dad

Old 06-20-2019, 07:33 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
I'm suprised the coaches allow this. I don't understand why kids can't just be kids. They don't need a passion and it shouldn't be facilitied by mom and dad
yeah these types of parents make it harder for other parents too. If jimmy sees mikey playing two sports in one season he'll want to do the same thing. Then parents who aren't having their kids play two sports in one season or hell a sport every season look like underachievers. Maybe some parents like being at games all weekend. My DH probably wouldnt mind...but that's not my thing.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:41 AM

14 posts, read 5,358 times
The only major problem I have with youth sports today, is how obscenely expensive it has become. Sure, there are a few sports, because of the nature of what they are that have always been expensive. But, I agree with the above comments that it should never cost thousands to allow your kid to be on a sports team. The other problem I have is that none of the sports seems to be fun for the kids anymore, and parents seemingly putting their kids in sports for the wrong reasons. Sure, kids can learn a lot from sports, but to me, that's an added bonus.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:41 AM

5,167 posts, read 6,355,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
Doing one activity at a time. There is no way we could have had our kids in several activities at the same time
I remember the spring when my daughter was in 8th grade. She was playing AAU basketball, which practiced twice a week with away tournaments on weekends. She was on the junior high track team, which practiced every day after school. She decided she wanted to play on a fast pitch softball travel team. The clincher was when she decided she wanted to join the junior high musical. I remember the teacher gave her a very small role i the musical because she missed so many practices. There were a lot of meals in the car from Dairy Queen, which was centrally located between the practice locations. My daughter was probably still in the Girl Scouts at that time.

I also remember the one day when my three children all had away games around the same time. My wife went to one and I went to another.

Quote:
I haven’t read this whole thread but I do wonder when young kids started playing 2 sports in one season. My newpjew seems to play every sport there is and he’s 10. I was suprised that he plays both lacrosse and baseball in the spring. Someone told me now is the time for them to decide what they like. His parents both have busy full time jobs then their evenings are filled with practices and games all weekend. I have to say it doesn’t sound fun to me. Call me selfish but I’d like some time to do what I want, something that doesn’t involve driving around to games. They say the years are fast but is it really healthy for the kids? Could be a lot of pressure.

My kids are 3 and 5 so I’m not quite there yet.
There is a local boy who just graduated from high school who earned 22 varsity letters. My niece was recruited by D-I colleges to play both basketball and ice hockey. She chose basketball.

You do what you can do and then it is soon over. I remember my wife and I driving 4 hours to my daughter's last college basketball game and thinking how we will never do this again. You get so wrapped up in your kid's sports and then it is all over. You wonder what you will do with all of your free time.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:04 AM

2,426 posts, read 5,047,508 times
Quote:

Most don't get the chance to decide. The parents push them into one thing after another until they find what they're best at and then go whole hog at that.

I have an 8 year old and so many people have been posting on Facebook about their kids "finally finding their passion". Finally, at 7 or 8. Okay, nutjob!

Old 06-20-2019, 10:11 AM

14 posts, read 5,358 times
Yeah, I hate that whole kids finding a passion BS! They're kids, they don't need a "passion". If they find and have one great, but certainly not necessary.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:24 AM

honestly when it comes to a career i think it's awesome if someone finds a passion because they'll likely be working for a while...maybe sports have helped people choose a career? But there are few 7 and 8 year olds who will feel passionate about a sport. There might be some but it's very rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or