U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 09:14 AM

956 posts, read 700,469 times

Advertisements

Yes, they do, but that's because they're too young for credit or debit. I certainly don't.

And the US coin system (or at least quarters and nickles) is as anachronistic as cursive. The other countries we live in use base 10 for every coin denomination, not base 5, and 25, for some reason.

Actually, the reason is clear: the founders of the US monetary system were poor students of economics and did not understand that inflation would render splitting the dollar into 20th's and 4th's pointless, in time.

Having children be able to calculate very specific fractions (just multiples of 1/20 and 1/4) in their heads, is not really useful, especially since physical money is on its way out. They really should have a good grasp of fractions with all even denominators up to ten, along with 3 and 5.

Are there really kindergarteners who don't know the months of the year or days of the week? Most every child in my kid's preschool does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 10:01 AM

9,454 posts, read 10,184,071 times
Our 6-year olds get an allowance based on "chores". At this point of time, it's small stuff like keeping your room clean, cleaning up after yourself, putting dished in the sink, etc.

Usually it's a dollar, or 50 cents or so. They save it, and when they have $10 or so, they buy something they want with it.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:29 AM

8,181 posts, read 6,070,656 times
Funny...I remember when we first started fractions. Maybe 3rd or 4th grade. I didn't struggle in math (at least not til late in HS or College.)

But I remember the teacher and helpers trying to use coins to teach them to us...It didn't make sense to me. I knew a quarter, dime and a nickel was enough for the .40 toll when we were on the highway. I knew what a quarter, nickel, and dime was. I'm not certain I could tell you the difference between a dime and a nickel.

I think I got a solid working handle on coins and their value when I was in 6th grade because lunch was bought with cash and if I wanted a .65 cent bottle of juice I had to make change.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:06 AM

506 posts, read 171,420 times
My 12 and 9 yo can count and use cash money, but my 5yo hasn't figured it out yet. But he does know the days of the week, months of the year, etc.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:15 AM

3,897 posts, read 4,617,866 times
My kids (high schoolers) still use cash. However, my daughter just opened up a new checking account that comes with a debit card, so she'll have the ability to pay with the card going forward if she wants to.

However, they refuse to tell time by the two analog clocks we have (one in kitchen and one in TV room).

Old 06-04-2019, 11:52 AM

9,738 posts, read 16,880,524 times
Yes. They get cash for chores, and they can use their money to buy things. We also recently taught our son about sales tax. He can't figure out the percentage yet, but he knows that a toy is going to cost more than the sticker price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting