U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 09:04 AM

43,206 posts, read 41,812,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post

It's a suburban area. The Starbucks/parking lot is also directly across from another school, so she could've gone there for help. It's not a deserted area where no one else would've been around besides me, but I still feel bad.
It's not a plausible story for many reasons, which makes it suspicious.

She could have been bait for a purse snatcher, kidnapper who was after you etc. It happens, and it happens in suburban areas with Starbucks.

Police want you to call them to assess the situation. They don't want you to stand there and try to figure this out yourself. Whether you call 911 or the non-emergency number is up to you, but in my mind a minor who seems stranded needs help ASAP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 09:16 AM

13,753 posts, read 12,718,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It's not a plausible story for many reasons, which makes it suspicious.

She could have been bait for a purse snatcher, kidnapper who was after you etc. It happens, and it happens in suburban areas with Starbucks.

Police want you to call them to assess the situation. They don't want you to stand there and try to figure this out yourself. Whether you call 911 or the non-emergency number is up to you, but in my mind a minor who seems stranded needs help ASAP.
Yeah, I think I was trying to get away from this stranger who was approaching me more than I was concerned about helping a stranded teen. Well, it's almost my lunchtime. I could drive back around there, but that was four hours ago. I doubt she's still there...

Old 06-10-2019, 09:23 AM

43,206 posts, read 41,812,025 times
Quote:
Yeah, I think I was trying to get away from this stranger who was approaching me more than I was concerned about helping a stranded teen. Well, it's almost my lunchtime. I could drive back around there, but that was four hours ago. I doubt she's still there...
I think I would have reacted the same way. Distraction is a key tool that criminals use.

Live and learn

Old 06-10-2019, 09:39 AM

3,904 posts, read 2,745,496 times
Quote:
If she is really a child in trouble, which I think she probably is based on your description of what she said, call the police. Let them know what you saw.

That's their job. They're already in that area.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:12 AM

6,306 posts, read 3,572,105 times
Yes, report it anyway. It may be something that is happening in the area and could assist LE in stopping a crime if there is one connected to it.

This could also be a runaway from a group home or behavioral treatment. If there is a vulnerable teen on the run it will also help them track her progress and help her before she is harmed.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:41 AM

4,221 posts, read 2,505,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
911 really? Iím not American, so maybe this is a cultural thing, but I donít see where a teenager standing in a Starbucks parking lot in broad daylight is worthy of emergency services. Is she really in danger right then? Is a crime being committed?

Is this some huge rural area? Do kids normally get picked up by school buses at Starbucks an unwalkable distance from home? Iíd offer to call her school for her and see her reaction. A teen of that age who canít figure out how to get to school is weird. Itís possible she was giving you a line for some purpose.
I need to move to Canada. Not Winnipeg though . Americans are so paranoid.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:03 AM

6,306 posts, read 3,572,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I need to move to Canada. Not Winnipeg though . Americans are so paranoid.
Guess you're not aware of the number of teens with serious mental health issues, learning disabilities or who are being victimized. Or maybe you don't care?

At any rate they are also in Canada and maybe you'll learn about them there. Some Canadians are also aware.

If you do run into this kind of situation, though, it's best not to try to handle it yourself unless you have training in these issues or you may find yourself in up to your neck.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:12 AM

47 posts, read 12,486 times
I would have suggested to her she go to one of the stores and have them call the police/school for her, and walked her over there. I think you did the right thing by not letting her get into your car and/or borrow your cell phone.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:14 PM

9,199 posts, read 8,293,143 times
It's not your job to decide whether or not this was a 911 worthy call. It is the police's JOB.

You should have immediately called 911 and let them figure this out.

Something sounds fishy here.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:24 PM

554 posts, read 155,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
As the police asked me one time , what does a killer or kidnapper look like exactly ? do you think maybe she had been missing for a while and did not know where she was ? I think you should have called 911 immediately and asked them to send an officer out to where you all were and maybe she could have gotten help. why are people so hesitant to use 911 that is what it is there for … I hope she got some help if she needed it .
Looks like OP is in the Houston area. I am in Dallas, and familiar with Houston. Cops don't always come/ 911 is not always effective. There is just so much imminent danger at all times in these cities, police cannot respond to everything. This would fall way down on the list below gun violence/kid shot in drive by, rape, armed robbery, etc. I have had 911 dispatch actually laugh in my face when I said I called and no one came and that I needed help.

OP- this is weird. As a mom of 2 teenage girls, I cannot say in all certainty that I would not have responded the same. 1) It's Houston in June- why would she not be INSIDE?; 2) Why would a school bus pick up at a MALL (they wouldn't); 3) she knows NO ONE's number by heart? NO ONE?!?! 4) She has no cell phone?!?; 5) At 14, 15 or 16...even 12....a kid would know what to do without asking some stranger in a mall parking lot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting