U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 12:38 PM

9,595 posts, read 5,800,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
kind of like talking?

I do know of one girl i worked with who was an engineer and she had some blog that spoke of how she was speaking at 6 months and reading at 2. She was trying to show how incredibly gifted she was. So i guess sometimes it can matter if someone is doing things significantly earlier.
It could be that she was a genius or it could be due to development. Sometimes when a kid does something early, they will be late in other areas developmentally. Maybe itís something hard to measure like social skills, or other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 02:12 PM

4,640 posts, read 3,699,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Cute. Very cute. So, how did you do in college and career? Just curious, since you really got of to such a head start.
This is long, but this might be helpful for those who have child prodigies and don't know what to do with them. My first recommendation would be: get a copy of Jodie Foster's Little Man Tate (1981) and watch it. It's right on the mark.

On and off I was on the honor roll in college, got a bachelor's in English lit and creative writing from University of Iowa with minors in math, French, and almost another in biology. After that, I became a professional student. First graduate work was in environmental sciences at University of Virginia, completed all coursework and passed oral and written exams for my MS but got sidetracked into computers and ended up doing a career in computer science. Got an MS in computer science at UNC Chapel Hill, worked as a research computer scientist doing work for NASA and the DoD. Became interested in theology and took a number of courses at Chicago area seminaries while working in the computer field. I had gone through career counseling a couple of times over the years, and both times psychology came up as a career I should consider. Ended up getting an MA in clinical psychology at Wheaton College, worked as a therapist for six years and became a board certified coach as well as a licensed clinical counselor. Went back into high tech until I retired in October 2017. At that point I was working for an international bank and they were encouraging me to become a project manager in IT - but I'd had enough. Today I'm retired, getting back into writing (my original love - I wrote my first story about the moon being a dead planet when I was four or five, and had to keep going to my mother and grandmother to ask how to spell certain words), and doing some website design, consulting, and coaching to supplement my social security and small pension. I'm learning several tech skills at present - including animation for business explainer videos.

Quote:
And how on earth did your grade school, to say nothing of Jr. High & high school, accommodate your advanced reading level, or did they not try? Were your writing skills similarly advanced? I'm thinking you should have been given research projects to do and report on, like elementary term papers, by 3rd or 4th grade.
They didn't try in grade school. In high school, however, there were teachers who did encourage me, particularly in physics, chemistry, and journalism. When my first grade teacher would call on me during our "See Jane Run" reading classes, I never knew my place because while the first kid was stumbling over the words I had read the book several times through - talk about boring! So suspecting I had some sort of learning disability, they sent me and my sister off for psychological testing. That's how we found out I had an eighth grade reading average. The psychologists recommended the school skip me to fifth or sixth grade (can't remember which - there were no accelerated programs then, just grade skipping) - my parents wisely decided to allow them to skip me one grade, no more. Since they introduced cursive writing in second grade, I had to learn that on my own (along with whatever second grade math involved) as well as the other material covered in third grade.

The nuns at my grade school decided to make an example of me. They had me lecturing on paleontology and history to seventh and eighth graders (eighth grade girls would bring me rocks and shells they found on vacation. On the playground, most other kids avoided me (or in some case bullied me) because I was that freakish kid who skipped a grade and was a Brainiac. I started deliberately getting answers wrong on tests so I could be more "normal". My friends in grade school were the other freakish Brainiacs (I reconnected with my oldest friend on Facebook a few years ago). By the time I entered high school I'd had enough and decided to socialize myself - joining various clubs and activities so I could engage with other kids with shared interests. I continued writing, but I pursued a more "practical" course. I have several writing projects queued up - hopefully I'll live long enough to complete them.

I wish I could go back to that sad and lonely gradeschooler and tell him: hey, it's going to be all right. I wish I had focused more rather than being all over the place - my mother told me this in high school, that I should choose one thing and pursue it - but I was a teenager, and knew better. In retrospect, her advice was right on the nose.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:43 PM

37,097 posts, read 45,613,761 times
My only daughter, my firstborn, was my little bookworm. She just loved books from the time she could sit up and hold them. She read before her brothers, but they read just fine later. Kids are different, and learn at their own pace. She was my only “gifted” kid too, but she isn’t really gifted, because her early reading and vocabulary skewed the testing. She had her challenges in college, but she made it through.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:57 PM

6,490 posts, read 4,072,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It really doesnít speak to oneís intelligence as to the age they start reading, at least not from what I understand. It tends to level out and by the time kids complete 3rd grade. At that point, youíre not going to be able to tell who was reading at the age of 3 vs who started reading at the age of 8.
I completely agree. Just like you can't tell who started walking at 9 months and who was 16 months before they took a step, by the time they are in school. Or who had 12 teeth and who had none on their first birthday. Or whether they were potty trained at 18 months or not until 3 1/2. Unless a child is way ahead of or way behind the normal curve, all those milestones are pretty meaningless.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:38 PM

219 posts, read 71,275 times
Probably in 1st grade. I didnít go to preschool (1940ís).

I taught my sons to read at about ages 3-4. They both knew how to read when they began kindergarten. We lived near Chicago and the Chicago Tribune had a simple, inexpensive reading program that used methods I later found out were similar to Montessori teaching methods. This was back in the 1960ís.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:49 PM

679 posts, read 617,292 times
I was an early reader and feel it was just because I was easily bored with tv, my toys, other kids, etc. The books and mags laying around our house were so colorful, beautiful (Life, Nat Geo, etc) and interesting (Time, Newsweek, etc) the books from 3rd grade my Mom was teaching at the time and my Dad's books just fascinated me.

I was 4 when I told my Dad there was something in this one book I did not totally understand and held up one of his grad level political science books. He gave me the 'oh isn't that cute' look but it turned to slight terror when I said 'now I get that in the Teapot Dome Scandal Albert Fall was charged with taking bribes from oil companies but was it because they wanted to drill on federal land that got everyone upset or just the accepting bribes part?'

And so began the testing and testing which I enjoyed much more than watching Captain Kangaroo show us how to brush our hair or Romper Room simon says exercises.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:54 PM

322 posts, read 45,487 times
Kindergarten/Grade One - 5-6 y/o.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:19 PM

9,595 posts, read 5,800,153 times
I just wanted to add one thing, kids these days arenít reading earlier then they were in prior generations. The expectations in schools just tend to be different in terms of reading. They expect kids to learn in Kindergarten when before kids were expected to learn in first grade. That doesnít however mean that kids are reading earlier. Some come into Kindergarten already reading chapter books, some will pick it up while in Kindergarten and others in first, second and even third grade. The spectrum remains in spite of the changing expectations.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:45 PM

5,581 posts, read 3,926,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
My parents don't know when exactly or how but they know that I was reading the daily paper at age 2 & at the level of an H.S. graduate by age 7. By age 16 I tested in the top 2% of national scores for reading comprehension & I now read 1,363 words per minute.

It's called Hyperlexia & it is almost 100% associated with Autistic Spectrum Disorder. Typically, reading speed in Hyperlexia will plateau during late adolescence but mine did not.

My own children were reading by age 4-5 but I believe my youngest, who is severely autistic, may also be hyperlexic but the communication barrier has made testing impossible.
I have hyperlexia and Asperger's syndrome, learned to read at 15 months. Even at age 26 I'm still fascinated by numbers and letters. However, I was always slightly above average at reading comprehension but not top 2% or anything like that.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:55 PM

18,829 posts, read 4,942,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
First grade for me too, in the 50's.
Me too, first grade, 6, in the 50's...

My brother, 7 years younger, was being taught some kind of sight reading in the 60's,
and not doing well. I taught him the way I was taught, phonetically, and he did fine after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or