U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 07:16 PM

24 posts, read 6,211 times

Advertisements

I remember my teacher getting us started with numbers and reading when I was in first grade (1973-74 school year). She had the numbers 1 through 100 right above the chalkboard, and she went through them and made sure we knew them all. (This happened in the first week of school that year-I don't know why I remember that, but I do.) But I remember my mom telling me she would put 3 cans of Campbell's soup in front of me when I was 4, and even though I couldn't read yet I knew which one was which by the length of the word on the can. (Beef, vegetable, chicken noodle, etc.) And by second grade, I was reading pretty well-I always got really good grades in school when I was that age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 11:31 PM

28,242 posts, read 39,901,543 times
Can't say exactly, but I could read when I started kindergarten.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:30 AM

5,223 posts, read 5,095,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post

Here's a cute (at least I think so) story about my son's earliest reading. He was about three, and I was taking him with me to the super market. We were walking from the car to the store, and he read aloud the store's name spelled out in big letters on the front of the building. He said, "E-I-S-N-E-R. That spells STORE!"

How do you spell "farm"?

E-I-E-I-O

Old 06-22-2019, 06:52 PM

30,701 posts, read 33,478,764 times
4 or 5. I've always been a high reader and so was my own son. My daughter struggled and didn't read for enjoyment until she was an adult.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:42 PM

1,715 posts, read 1,587,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Your post brought up fond memories for me. My father also had us learn a few new words from the dictionary every weekend. We looked forward to that. I think it was usually Fridays or Saturday nights when he didn't have to work the next day.

He was a secondary History teacher, but he never worked as one, the lure of earning money superseded his desire to teach, but I think he was a natural teacher.

It's interesting that your mother instilled a love of words into you, although she suffered from dyslexia, and that she was also a special education teacher.

My parents also loved words, and passed that trait to us. My high school was one of the few public schools that taught Latin in junior high school. Not only did it make French and Spanish easier to learn, it increased my vocabulary and helped my verbal SAT score immensely.
I took my mom 11 years to earn her Bachelors. When I was small she was a SPED aide then para. She could only handle 2-3 classes a semester due to all the reading. We often read the text books to her to help her along. She always carried a dictionary in her pocketbook to spell check herself.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:58 AM

1,865 posts, read 2,115,446 times
I can't remember when I started reading. I do know that I read below grade level up through the 6th grade.

That summer I read whatever I could get my hands on, and soon was reading above grade level.

The difference? I started wearing glasses in the 3rd grade: I needed them for distant vision. However, I was told I had to wear them all the time. Trouble was, I could not read a book because the words were blurry. So, I didn't read unless I had to for school. I took off my glasses at lunch one day, and put them in my lunch bag (paper). Forgetting they were there, I threw the bag in the trash. By the time I remembered my glasses, the janitor had already thrown our trash in the incinerator.

After that, I was left alone to read without my glasses and reading became a joy.

My son (who has Asperger's) was reading simple words by 18 months. He was reading his books by age 2. He always had a fascination for numbers and letters, and I fostered it because of my own love for reading.

His 4th grade teacher killed his love for reading books. Every book he read at school (for class or just for fun) had a written book report due. He stopped reading books for pleasure and has only read a few since then. He reads a lot online and he loves magazines. Maybe someday...

Old 06-23-2019, 06:33 PM

12,705 posts, read 9,975,776 times
Letters and numbers at 4, words at 5.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:02 AM

6,389 posts, read 5,463,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I was 6 I think, first grade.

It sounds like these days kids read earlier?

How old were your kids when they learned ?

I have known people who said they were reading at 2.
I learned to read in Kindergarten, at age five. I didn't go to preschool (no one that we knew did in the early 60's). Reading was my favorite past time...I always had my nose in a book. Teachers (up until fifth grade) encouraged me. My fifth grade teacher was a witch...she said I read too much, and didn't socialize enough. When I'd take a book outside to read at recess, she'd track me down under the tree where I was sitting and take the book away from me.

Oldest DD (now 33) had a year of preschool, and was reading the entire "B Is For Betsy" series at four. At six or seven, she was into Goosebumps, Babysitters' Club, etc. By ten, I was catching her clandestinely reading Stephen King...I noticed a pattern where she'd be "sick" when I brought home his latest and spend the day home from school reading it in bed. She also started reading the John Jakes novels at around that age...she says she learned more American History from him than she did in school.

She recalls everyone at school thinking her accelerated reading tastes "odd", even the teachers.

Youngest DD (now 27) was the exact opposite and struggled. She does not enjoy reading like her older sister and I.

Oldest grandson (now five) started reading fluently at three. This summer, he's tackling the first "Harry Potter" in the series. We're reading it aloud together, and he's doing very well with it (I help him when he gets stuck on the bigger words and strange British vocabulary). He'll be starting first grade this fall. His little brother (aged two) can recite the alphabet and identify the letters, but isn't reading yet. DD bought him the "Your Baby Can Read" videos, and is working with him. DD and son-in-law really push their kids academically (oldest grandson attends a private school for gifted children where they are encouraged to excel and skipping grades is pretty common).

They (especially DD) push a little TOO hard, if you ask me. At least we're reading a book grandson really enjoys. He's Harry Potter obsessed right now and makes believe he really IS Harry Potter. He keeps taking his little brother's favorite toy...a stuffed owl...because Harry Potter has to have an owl. And the sticks from the baby's toy drum set are wands. He runs around pointing them at me and shouting "Ridiculous!"

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 06-24-2019 at 05:35 AM..

Old 06-24-2019, 04:21 PM

517 posts, read 358,599 times
I don't really remember, but probably around 4/5 years old with basic one/two words sentences. 6 is when I remember reading those little children books. And I was born in the late 70's.

Now with my kids; my oldest was reading little books by time he was 4, but wasn't really into it until 1st grade. Now he enjoys reading novels, chapter books of his own picking and I believe it's because we didn't push him on it. He's above his grade average; rising 3rd grade this fall but reads at 4th grade level according to his teacher.

my 5 year incoming kindergarten likes to read simple books about animals. Thats it. He knows how to read his name, his street address, phone number, his colors, numbers up to 50. That's all I care about.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:03 AM

774 posts, read 591,740 times
I suppose 3 or 4. I started kindergarten at 5, and was already reading by then. My niece was the same. My daughter started around 4 or 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or