U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 608 times

Advertisements

I'm a mother and my daughter is in high school. When it comes to fashion, she likes wearing low rise jeans. I must say that she looks good in low rise, like a typical Southern lady.

But a few months ago, she was hanging out with her little brother on the monkey bars at a playground. She swung up and that's when I realized her underwear was sticking out about an inch at the back of her jeans. I wanted to tell her, but I waited to see if she or her brother would realize. Neither of them realized. And I kept quiet after that because I wanted to see if this would happen in the future. It turns out that it happened occasionally, but not often.

I was thinking that this is a big deal and I should tell her and take her to buy new underwear. I believe her current panties are low rise enough at the front, but too high at the back. Or maybe it's because they ride up at the back. But do you ladies think this is a big deal or would you just ignore it? After all, it's just her panties and it's not like she did this on purpose.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:57 PM

12,519 posts, read 7,515,513 times
Why wouldn't you tell her? I'm sure she would much rather hear it from her mom rather than some boy at school.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:32 PM

263 posts, read 43,563 times
I see no problem with it whatsoever.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:36 PM

6,534 posts, read 7,791,019 times
She might not care. For some younger people that's kind of a "style" thing (males and females).

Old 06-20-2019, 02:50 PM

6,515 posts, read 2,355,719 times
I was the mother of boys, so what do I know. But if I were a teenager, and my underwear showed occasionally, I would think it's no big deal. And if my mother decided it was something I needed to know about...I think I'd probably be embarrassed and aggravated that she told me.

But again...I'm the mother of boys, and it's been a long long time since I was a teenage girl.

But again (just remembered this) a couple of summers ago, we were at our place in the country with the kids and grandkids. My (at the time) 14yr old granddaughter was swimming, and she had a 2 piece on. Not a bikini, but it was a 2 piece.

My granddaughter is well endowed. But she was kid. Happily swimming and splashing around. Her step mother got after her for wearing the bathing suit that she was wearing, telling her that everyone was watching her...and they argued back and forth a bit. Ended up that granddaughter was embarrassed and mortified, and got out of the water feeling embarrassed. I felt bad for her.

My husband happened to have a tshirt close at hand, and lended it to her.

Sooo...if you DO approach your daughter about this...be super sensitive please, how you approach it with her.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:42 PM

17,003 posts, read 17,320,800 times
Forget it. I'm sure that if it happened often your daughter's girlfriends would tell her. How often does she climb on monkey bars? I bet it isn't very often.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:46 PM

78,509 posts, read 70,430,585 times
Low-rise jeans isn't what comes to mind for most people, I think, when they hear "typical Southern lady". Just saying. Nor does playing on the monkey bars.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:36 AM

4,213 posts, read 2,499,142 times
I guarantee she knows. And having her mother mention her underwear to her would likely just irritate her.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:00 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,088,838 times
Here is what my daughter would tell you "I'm comfortable in my clothes and I'm not responsible for what others might think if they get a glimpse of my undies at the back of my pants. If that turns them on, Tough. If they think it's tacky, that's their problem, not mine. Everyone knows I'm wearing underwear, so at least it's cute underwear. And seriously, mom, who is looking at the back of my pants when I'm on the monkeybars? They need to get a life"

I, like most mothers, have learned to choose my battles wisely. I will suggest a change once in a blue moon if there is too much skin for the occasion, which I phrase in terms of...that other outfit shows off your assets better, etc. but now that she is 22 I mind my own business. she is a high acheiving superstar that any parent would be proud to love and so I seriously doubt that an inch of panty at the back of her pants is going to prevent her from becoming the Secretary of Education some day.

My other daughter would shrug and not say anything at all. We live at the beach now, so we can wear whatever we want.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:31 AM

311 posts, read 109,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trtewe View Post
I'm a mother and my daughter is in high school. When it comes to fashion, she likes wearing low rise jeans. I must say that she looks good in low rise, like a typical Southern lady.

But a few months ago, she was hanging out with her little brother on the monkey bars at a playground. She swung up and that's when I realized her underwear was sticking out about an inch at the back of her jeans. I wanted to tell her, but I waited to see if she or her brother would realize. Neither of them realized. And I kept quiet after that because I wanted to see if this would happen in the future. It turns out that it happened occasionally, but not often.

I was thinking that this is a big deal and I should tell her and take her to buy new underwear. I believe her current panties are low rise enough at the front, but too high at the back. Or maybe it's because they ride up at the back. But do you ladies think this is a big deal or would you just ignore it? After all, it's just her panties and it's not like she did this on purpose.
Most likely she knows already but whether she does or doesn't, offer to take her for new underwear anyway, Let her pick the store and type she likes. Not what you think she should have. That way, even if her underwear shows, you know that she is comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or