U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 02:00 AM

322 posts, read 45,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Just seven years ago I was able to buy the plastic pants at the grocery store.

My mom ‘recycled’ cloth diapers & even bought new ones for my sister & I to wear around our necks, fastened with a diaper pin (had to have the yellow ducks on them) when we were sick (I had chronic strep-throat as a kid).

She was convinced it helped us get well faster.

My MIL gave me a gift of a diaper service after my first set of twins in 1994. They were a pain but they worked better because they were preemies & you could make them fit better.

I was glad that by the time my youngest was born in 2003, the disposable diapers had been fixed to not leak those gel balls all over the place.
I remember when our old supermarket carried rubber pants. I'm going back to the 80's, but talk about da-bomb to be able to do my entire grocery shop and pick up a pack of baby pants while I was at it.

Oh, yes... good old mustard plasters! My mom practiced the same with us kids, too, and when all of the regular vinyl bibs were dirty or hanging on the line, a flannelette diaper sufficed as a makeshift bib at feeding time. Old-fashioned cotton diapers were so versatile that way, they covered it all, everything from diapering to burping.

You're absolutely right, nothing beat the fit of traditional fold and pin diapers. Not one of my children were built the same when they were little, yet not once did those old fold and pin didies ever let me down. Big, small, chunky, skinny, short, tall, a quick fold and said kid had a custom fitting diapey.

No disposables in our house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
My MIL gave me a gift of a diaper service after my first set of twins in 1994.
Used to often wonder when changing my youngest (1994-95), how many other moms (aside from myself) were still using old-timey cloth diapers.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:38 AM

Just remembered how I used to dust my kids sticky, sweaty little feet at change-time with a dash of baby powder.

A little baby powder on the feet helped thread those little piggy's through the elastic leg holes of rubber pants and from sticking to the inside of the pants when pulling them on, and a dash of baby powder inside the rubber pants helped prevent chafing and elastic-gather rash.

Last edited by Size18; 06-22-2019 at 03:51 AM..

Old 06-22-2019, 03:55 AM

Can't believe we haven't had any old-school babysitters stop-by yet to voice their experience with such.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:13 PM

20,735 posts, read 13,741,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Size18 View Post
Used to often wonder when changing my youngest (1994-95), how many other moms (aside from myself) were still using old-timey cloth diapers.
Cloth diapers over past two or so decades have made a comeback, both for infants and adults.

In fact diaper services once almost totally obsolete are making a comeback in many parts of the country as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpZOUFJ-p0g

Old 06-22-2019, 04:48 PM

5,436 posts, read 2,760,875 times
Well, here's your old school babysitter.

I used to babysit days for a mother who went back to work full time and she had two boys, one that was 7 (I think - I don't remember now) and one that was about 8 or 9 months old. This was back in the early 70s.

I changed the cloth diapers on the little boy and I thought it was no problem at all. She had a tall bucket of water and the dirty diapers were just thrown in there (poop and all). That evening, I guess when most of the poop had rinsed off, she came home at night, gathered up all the diapers and washed them in the washing machine. I don't know if she wore gloves doing this (I would) and I guess the water just went down the toilet.

It must have worked because there was always a pile of clean diapers waiting for me the next morning.

I don't know if there is a certain way to pin a diaper and if there is, I'm not sure I'd remember it today. But I must have known it then because we certainly didn't have any problems. I'd remember that!

I do remember thinking as I got older that the cloth diapers then weren't that big of a deal, so I was confused about why everyone around me was insisting on using the new disposable diapers when they had babies.

I do remember the little boy having to wear the plastic pants with the diaper, though.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:13 AM

1,865 posts, read 2,114,560 times
I was 5 (1964) when my mom had a set of twin boys. Living dolls! One was mine, one was hers. I changed my baby brother all the time - in cloth diapers with pins and rubber pants.

Never a hassle for me. I babysat as a young child and every baby was in cloth diapers. I even worked at a day care center (mid 70s) that used cloth diapers on all babies and toddlers.

My son was born in 1983. I bought 4 dozen cloth diapers that lasted until he was potty trained. (One is still in use as a cleaning rag!) Rubber pants were bought as he outgrew the old ones.

The new diapers are cute, but I think the flat ones are perfect. As Size 18 said, they fit any size baby.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Cloth diapers over past two or so decades have made a comeback, both for infants and adults.

In fact diaper services once almost totally obsolete are making a comeback in many parts of the country as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpZOUFJ-p0g
I remember when cloth diaper use was still super popular (late 1980's), at least where we live it was, then around 1990, cloth diaper use took a tumble, but just a mere year or two later, cloth diaper use took off again and this time with momentum. Mothers all around were once again hanging flats and old-fashioned pull-on pants on their lines. It was encouraging but didn't last.

My youngest was still in diapers in 1994-95, and I was the last mom in the neighbourhood that was still diapering the old-fashioned way. All of the other neighbourhood moms had long switched over to Pampers and Huggies.

I would love nothing more than to see a resurgence, a renaissance if you will, related to cloth diaper use. Our old diaper service closed it's doors in the late 80's, but what a refreshing sight it would be to once again see the old diaper pin sign rise again.

I remember watching that Youtube Video. Kudos to those who work at these services daily, so that mothers can keep their children dry and comfy.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Well, here's your old school babysitter.

I used to babysit days for a mother who went back to work full time and she had two boys, one that was 7 (I think - I don't remember now) and one that was about 8 or 9 months old. This was back in the early 70s.

I changed the cloth diapers on the little boy and I thought it was no problem at all. She had a tall bucket of water and the dirty diapers were just thrown in there (poop and all). That evening, I guess when most of the poop had rinsed off, she came home at night, gathered up all the diapers and washed them in the washing machine. I don't know if she wore gloves doing this (I would) and I guess the water just went down the toilet.

It must have worked because there was always a pile of clean diapers waiting for me the next morning.

I don't know if there is a certain way to pin a diaper and if there is, I'm not sure I'd remember it today. But I must have known it then because we certainly didn't have any problems. I'd remember that!

I do remember thinking as I got older that the cloth diapers then weren't that big of a deal, so I was confused about why everyone around me was insisting on using the new disposable diapers when they had babies.

I do remember the little boy having to wear the plastic pants with the diaper, though.
I knew there would be one or two hiding among us.

Your experience sounds like one babysitting job I had one summer. Monday to Friday, 7:30 am till 3:30 pm, 3 kids, 2 in diapers (cloth and pins). Change after change, diapers filled the pail. In the evening the mother would do the washing, and by morning a fresh stack of diapers were ready and waiting.

I remember it like yesterday, running the pins through my hair before fastening the diapers, and pulling rubber pants off and on all day. It's the only system I ever knew, having changed the cloth diapers for 3 of my siblings. Like yourself, changing old-fashioned diapers was no biggie.

As for kids I babysat, rubber pants over the diapers (always). Didn't matter where I babysat, rubber pants were always in use. Same with my baby siblings, mom used rubber pants full-time, round-the-clock. Double diapers and rubber pants.

Last edited by Size18; 06-23-2019 at 11:01 AM..

Old 06-23-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I was 5 (1964) when my mom had a set of twin boys. Living dolls! One was mine, one was hers. I changed my baby brother all the time - in cloth diapers with pins and rubber pants.

Never a hassle for me. I babysat as a young child and every baby was in cloth diapers. I even worked at a day care center (mid 70s) that used cloth diapers on all babies and toddlers.

My son was born in 1983. I bought 4 dozen cloth diapers that lasted until he was potty trained. (One is still in use as a cleaning rag!) Rubber pants were bought as he outgrew the old ones.

The new diapers are cute, but I think the flat ones are perfect. As Size 18 said, they fit any size baby.
OMG, do I remember the days. Baby siblings happened in our house in 1966, 1968, 1971, and 1973. Pretty much always had two siblings in diapers the whole time, so sharing changing duties with my mom was standard, as was working alongside my mom in the evening getting the little ones ready for bed.

There mom would be, stooped over the railing of one crib changing diapers, and to one side of her was me, stopped over the railing of the other crib changing diapers.

Same with me, using cloth diapers was no hassle, and always cloth diapers when I babysat, too. Learned a TON from watching my mom, so whenever I babysat outside the home, I practiced many of her ways that she taught me, like having an open diaper pin pinched between pursed lips when readying a diaper for fastening.

Never worked at an official daycare in my day, but do remember helping out in the church nursery when I was in my late teens, and I put in lots of time standing over the changing table. Nursery had it's own supply of diapers, pins, and rubber pants, and as you can imagine, they got plenty of use. Outfitted with a washing machine and dryer, diapers were laundered at the end of each day or event.

As for rubber pants with my own kids, boy, my boys could be hard on them. I remember sending them out to play in just their diapers and rubber pants, and like Murphy's Law, someone would tear the seat out of their rubber pants on the swing-set, their tricycle seat, or whatever have you. Kmart was there for me though!

I agree, the old-fashioned, traditional flats were king.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting