U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 12:59 PM

322 posts, read 45,487 times

Advertisements

By the way, as a conversation point, babysitting rate when I started sitting was a whopping .25 an hour.

Wasn't until the later part of the 70's, when I started to see .50 an hour, though I do remember getting paid a flat rate at times, which sometimes ever so slightly edged my regular hourly rate.

Cloth diapers, spanking, glass bottles, drop-sided cribs, and homemade baby food and formula, was all in a day's (or evenings) work for me, as was doing an occasion load of laundry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 08:31 AM

One more thing (for all the oldies)... aside from plain, old-fashioned white rubber pants, as my youngest is so proudly sporting in the picture, remember pastel coloured pants?

They came in light pale colours (yellow, pink, blue). Pastel pants were popular back in the babysitting days (1970's), and my own children's bottoms seen pastels until the mid to late 80's.

White, yellow, and blue (for my boys), white, yellow, and pink (for my girls).

Old 06-25-2019, 08:40 AM

603 posts, read 203,454 times
My youngest is only 5, and I used good ol' prefolds for all 3 of my kids. Cloth diapering is absolutely making a comeback, especially among the environmentally-friendly crowd. That said, there are SO many new designs, basically cloth diapers that are as easy to use as disposies: https://www.bumgenius.com/

Many of these cost a fortune and have annoying washing requirements, which is why I stuck with the tried and true. Though I did trade the pins in for Snappis (https://www.amazon.com/Neutral-Snapp.../dp/B01BACDGLG) and I had PUL diaper covers instead of rubber pants.

Plus, the prefolds make great cleaning rags now!!

Old 06-26-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
My youngest is only 5, and I used good ol' prefolds for all 3 of my kids. Cloth diapering is absolutely making a comeback, especially among the environmentally-friendly crowd. That said, there are SO many new designs, basically cloth diapers that are as easy to use as disposies: https://www.bumgenius.com/

Many of these cost a fortune and have annoying washing requirements, which is why I stuck with the tried and true. Though I did trade the pins in for Snappis (https://www.amazon.com/Neutral-Snapp.../dp/B01BACDGLG) and I had PUL diaper covers instead of rubber pants.

Plus, the prefolds make great cleaning rags now!!
Prefolds were totally new to me up until a handful of years ago. All I ever knew was flats, and even reflecting back on my old babysitting days, I can't say I ever remember coming across prefolds. Diapers were always flat and sheet-style by design.

The thing about flats that sold me was how well they washed up, and how quickly they dried. I could hang a load of flats on the line in the morning, pour myself a cup of coffee, light a cigarette, call my mom on the telephone, and thumb-through the daily paper, and when all was said and done, diapers were ready to be pulled down off the line.

As for rubber pants, as old-fashioned as they were, I loved the no-nonsense, economical simplicity of them. Elasticized legs and waistbands made for easy on/off at change-time, in addition to a reliable fit. A quick rinse when needed, pin them up on the line to dry, and pants were ready for use again - lickety-split. No special laundering or fussing with them, and having always double-diapered (day and night), rubber pants provided a roomy fit over bulky diapers, and being 100% vinyl, I never concerned myself over leaks or wet-through, and when pants needed replaced, they were pennies a pair, so changing-out the old for new never put a pinch in the household budget.

Additionally, having always used safety pins, rubber pants just seemed right. The true old-fashioned way... the proper way.

Do think the new modern cloth diapers are nifty.

Old 06-26-2019, 12:23 PM

My long-time standing joke has always been, I always knew where my kids were in the house by the plastic rustling sound of their rubber pants! You could hear them coming from a mile away... their rubber pants rustling a plastic beat!

Old 06-30-2019, 07:39 AM

6,389 posts, read 5,460,830 times
I had twin brothers. They were born in 1966. We had one bathroom in our house. In other words, a diaper pail soaking nonstop.

In 1967 we added another bathroom.

Oldest daughter (born in 1986) "trained herself" well before two. Youngest (1992) was in diapers until three, and smeared her BM to Kingdom Come before being trained.

When oldest grandson turned three, DD said she'd let the potty training take it's course. A month later, he was trained! That's when his baby brother was born, and she was buying diapers for TWO

I now have a 2 year old grandson who craps his pants every other hour on the hour. A godsend, disposable diapers.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I had twin brothers. They were born in 1966. We had one bathroom in our house. In other words, a diaper pail soaking nonstop.

In 1967 we added another bathroom.

Oldest daughter (born in 1986) "trained herself" well before two. Youngest (1992) was in diapers until three, and smeared her BM to Kingdom Come before being trained.

When oldest grandson turned three, DD said she'd let the potty training take it's course. A month later, he was trained! That's when his baby brother was born, and she was buying diapers for TWO

I now have a 2 year old grandson who craps his pants every other hour on the hour. A godsend, disposable diapers.
Oh, yes, the good ole diaper pail! Boy, do I remember the days, both when my baby siblings were little, and again when my own kids were babies. In fact, I had at one point resigned myself to the fact that the plastic diaper pail had become a permanent fixture in our home... in the bathroom. It sat between the toilet and bathtub, smack-dab in the corner.

No smearing in our house, thank goodness, as that is one thing I wouldn't have dealt with passively.

1992... my youngest, too! Diapers lasted until age 3-1/2 - age 4, nighttime a while longer.

Did you use cloth diapers and rubber pants on your kids, or disposables?

Old 07-01-2019, 09:04 AM

6,534 posts, read 7,798,922 times
I am definitely older than 50, but I never used cloth diapers and rubber pants with my kids. It was an option I did not choose. My memory of cloth diapers, diaper pails, rubber pants is from my mother using them with two of my younger siblings. By the time my youngest sibling came along when I was 14, disposables were a real option. She used mostly disposables for him because she was working outside the house by then.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I am definitely older than 50, but I never used cloth diapers and rubber pants with my kids. It was an option I did not choose. My memory of cloth diapers, diaper pails, rubber pants is from my mother using them with two of my younger siblings. By the time my youngest sibling came along when I was 14, disposables were a real option. She used mostly disposables for him because she was working outside the house by then.
Yes, those were the days. My baby siblings wore the same (cloth diapers and rubber pants). Being older than your baby siblings, did you have to change diapers? If so, were your siblings wearing cloth or disposable? I did a TON of changing!

Last edited by Size18; 07-01-2019 at 09:31 AM..

Old 07-01-2019, 10:10 AM

1,756 posts, read 1,945,227 times
I're read in more than two sources that today's super-absorbent diapers are causing kids to be potty trained later, because they never feel uncomfortable in loaded drawers. That's what preschool teachers are dealing with now...kids who, in the 60s and earlier, would have been trained long before nursery school, are trotting around in their humungous crotch parachutes. Yuk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting