U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 10:44 AM

265 posts, read 44,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
I're read in more than two sources that today's super-absorbent diapers are causing kids to be potty trained later, because they never feel uncomfortable in loaded drawers. That's what preschool teachers are dealing with now...kids who, in the 60s and earlier, would have been trained long before nursery school, are trotting around in their humungous crotch parachutes. Yuk!
I agree 100%!

There's a lot to be said for old-fashioned cloth diapers in that department. When my kids were older and toilet training was upon them, I remember them pulling at their diapers when they were wet, because not only did the old cloth diapers sag and droop when sodden, the child could feel the wet, and those old hot greenhouse rubber pants didn't add to the child's comfort I'm sure, and... those old-fashioned cloth diapers were bulky, unlike today's thin disposables, which I'm certain, fail to provide a child with the sensation that they're wearing a diaper.

I've read articles that claim children that wear cloth diapers train earlier, and I believe in some cases that's true, but I had two kids that wore diapers into their 4's, which proves that all children aren't alike and/or suffer the same discomfort as the next, but I do think regular, ordinary, old-fashioned cloth diapers made for (generally) earlier training back in the day, because mothers grew tired of washing diapers and made training happen.

Thinking back to my babysitting days (1970's), I remember changing diapers on few kids past the age of 2 to 2-1/2 years, and back then it was all cloth diapers, at least in the homes where I babysitting it was, which leaves me to believe that old-school diapers had a lot to do with training earlier than we're seeing today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 01:21 PM

6,535 posts, read 7,793,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Size18 View Post
Yes, those were the days. My baby siblings wore the same (cloth diapers and rubber pants). Being older than your baby siblings, did you have to change diapers? If so, were your siblings wearing cloth or disposable? I did a TON of changing!
Four of us wore cloth. I was a bit too young to consistently change the two youngest, (5 and 7 years older) but was asked to empty the dirty ones into the toilet. I do recall pricking my finger on those giant diaper pens a time or two when I was trying to help my mom. The youngest (14 years younger than me) wore disposables. I regularly watched him, changed him, fed him, etc. We joke that he had 5 mothers (one actual mother and 4 older sisters).

From the minute potty training started with my own kids, they wore heavy cloth training pants. They both trained in a week or less, but I attribute that to the method I used. They picked out some regular cotton "big girl" and "big boy" pants with characters as a reward/incentive for being trained.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Four of us wore cloth. I was a bit too young to consistently change the two youngest, (5 and 7 years older) but was asked to empty the dirty ones into the toilet. I do recall pricking my finger on those giant diaper pens a time or two when I was trying to help my mom. The youngest (14 years younger than me) wore disposables. I regularly watched him, changed him, fed him, etc. We joke that he had 5 mothers (one actual mother and 4 older sisters).

From the minute potty training started with my own kids, they wore heavy cloth training pants. They both trained in a week or less, but I attribute that to the method I used. They picked out some regular cotton "big girl" and "big boy" pants with characters as a reward/incentive for being trained.
I remember learning how to change diapers, and how my mom supervised for the first little while, because of the pins. Oh yes, stuck myself lots!

As for those old-fashioned heavy and thick cloth training pants, I remember my mom using them when training my siblings, and I used them on my own children as well. Waffle-knit training pants with rubber pants over them, and I sometimes doubled the training pants for more absorbency.

So true about being a second mom to baby siblings, I felt the same way.

Old 07-03-2019, 04:09 AM

38,111 posts, read 14,885,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post

As soon as our boys figured out they could pee onthe trees, they were all over that. Spiderman underroos helped.

Rhumba panties for the girls. They always wanted the ruffles in front.

I told them I wanted them to wear diapers. "So much easier for Mama."

Oh, but no. They insisted on wearing "big girl panties," peeing on the trees, etc.

What's a mother to do?

Old 07-03-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
As soon as our boys figured out they could pee onthe trees, they were all over that. Spiderman underroos helped.

Rhumba panties for the girls. They always wanted the ruffles in front.

I told them I wanted them to wear diapers. "So much easier for Mama."

Oh, but no. They insisted on wearing "big girl panties," peeing on the trees, etc.

What's a mother to do?

LOL! Yes, diapers did have a way of keeping things simple and easy, even with cloth diapers. I was much more accepting of changing a wet diaper over a wet bed, where bed or crib sheets needed changing and washing in the morning, not to mention pyjama bottoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting