U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 11:41 AM

23,644 posts, read 8,227,438 times

Advertisements

Musicfamily5....I hardly ever see my grandgirl, it's what I hear from her mother.

She knows me and my age but I don't hold my age above anyone.

I didn't raise her but she knows what I'm about. Thanks for your story. Living with two older people sounds like a challenge for all. Good wishes.

Your story of different ages living together made me think of my childhood and growing up after the depression and living with and near grandparents who arrived from Europe, a lot of stress and loud voices in different languages...I survived...didn't know any thing else.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-25-2019 at 12:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 01:56 PM

21,834 posts, read 14,349,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Agree. ALL young people have attitude and think they know it all. Yes, even in the "olden days".
I just want to point out that sweeping generalizations about an entire demographic are never accurate.

Old 06-25-2019, 02:48 PM

5,408 posts, read 2,333,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
If you don't have the wisdom at 55 or 81 to know that it's inappropriate to talk to an adult about her weight (she knows she's gained weight, she doesn't need you to tell her), especially during a stressful transition in her life, then maybe you should dial it back on complaining about your granddaughter being a "know it all"?

This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I just want to point out that sweeping generalizations about an entire demographic are never accurate.
Ugh. I then say "most".

Old 06-25-2019, 03:59 PM

12,548 posts, read 7,520,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
If you read the first post...it's about how my daughter is getting "the attitude" that I got when I was raising her.

I just see it more and more in today's kids "the attitude" I know it all....
So you say your daughter had an attitude 30+ years ago as a young adult, but you're still going with the "kids these days" trope? :

Old 06-25-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
So you say your daughter had an attitude 30+ years ago as a young adult, but you're still going with the "kids these days" trope? :
Yes I am and if you want to call it that...today they come off with this entitlement.....

Back in the old days if I had an issue or was bored my mother handed me a bucket and srub brush, scrub the floor. Nothing that like that today, unless maybe in the very poor families this may be a scenerio. THe more one has the more one thinks they deserve...that's what I see.

I even saw it in my own sister who was born 10 yrs after me, she was far more driven by money and that entitlement. Loved her but we were sure different, RIP sis.

Old 06-30-2019, 12:02 PM

Latest report from daughter, they are working it out living together. And agreeing neither knows it all and it's give and take, wins and losses and that's true of life. They love each other but both are making changes to their "rigid" stances.....

Old 06-30-2019, 12:27 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 6 days ago)

9,445 posts, read 3,628,914 times
I've been a vegetarian for 25 years and my health is just fine. I don't think vegan diets are unhealthy. I think meat-based diets are more unhealthy.

Old 06-30-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I've been a vegetarian for 25 years and my health is just fine. I don't think vegan diets are unhealthy. I think meat-based diets are more unhealthy.
Your choice, I've eaten meat all my life and less as I grow older and I'm fine too. I have a lot more strength with some meat, helps my blood too. A juicy grass fed burger with bacon, cheese and condiments, YUM....

Old 06-30-2019, 01:44 PM

2,291 posts, read 2,677,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Latest report from daughter, they are working it out living together. And agreeing neither knows it all and it's give and take, wins and losses and that's true of life. They love each other but both are making changes to their "rigid" stances.....
Well, that's certainly good news and a step forward in a positive direction. Mother/daughter relationships are usually cantankerous at some point, but in many instances, like my relationship with my daughter, end up being just wonderful. I wish your daughter and granddaughter all the best.

I'm sure they will have their ups and downs. Don't we all? But hopefully, the trend will be up and they will end up being the best of friends. If you have a mother and daughter who love each other and get along, nothing can compare to that type of relationship. It is very special.

I read about so many mothers and daughters who never get along and end up being estranged from each other. That's so sad to me, but I guess that they must be such different personalities that it just can't work out between them for whatever reasons.

I know for a fact that when my daughter was younger that even though she always loved me, there were times when she didn't like me. Typical, I think, for most mother/daughter relationships. Now that she's a grown up, she adores me - loves me and likes me - and that makes me so very happy. She calls me multiple times a week, just to check on me and let me know what's going on in her life - sometimes to ask for advice, but mostly just to make sure we are close and involved with each others lives, since she lives in Denver and I live in SC, we can't just get together for lunch, etc. She goes out of her way to visit me whenever she can take time off from work to do so. Luckily, Frontier airlines now has seasonal direct flights from Denver to my airport.

I make sure to never judge her for her choices, which is pretty easy to do, because for the most part, she makes good choices. Even if she wasn't, I would never presume to do that to her. I recognize that she's an adult - age 34 - and has every right to make her own choices and decisions. I try to love and support her in whatever she chooses to do with her life and I treat her as the adult she is, even though I will always be her mother and she will always be my precious daughter.

I guess you must be very pleased that your daughter and granddaughter are making good progress on their relationship.

Old 07-01-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotPutFX View Post
So many hormones and antibiotics and nitrites. yuck!
I don't think others should Yuck on others. Thanks,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting